1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which seminary is best if I want to stay in academia?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by habeoChristum, Apr 11, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

If you can afford the best, then go for the best, but I wished I had gone to SBTS.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi habeoChristum,

I know Rhetorician gets tired of me saying this, but listen to him. He knows what he is talking about. When I started looking around to do my second MA I was thinking about a Church History MA. It was Rhetorician who first told me that a secular MA in History may do more for me. I prayed about it, talked with others, and then went forward with a secular MA in History. I say "secular" because it is not a religious school. Anyway because of that degree, and a professor at that university, I am now an adjunct history instructor. Not only that, I will probably be fulltime at one of my schools soon. The LORD has blessed and He used the advice Rhetorician first gave me. Nobody is perfect and therefore no advice will be perfect. However I would say that you should prayerfully consider Rhetorician's advice. He knows what he is talking about.

==Going to a conservative seminary would not keep you out of a PhD program at Duke. However since you are looking at an academic career I would suggest that you look to conservative schools that are much more academic in nature. That is why I suggested Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. It has a very good reputation in the academic community. In the MA vs. MDiv department, it depends upon the requirements of your PhD program. If an MDiv is required then you need to go that route, if not go the academic MA route.

Either way, make your decision carefully and prayerfully.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Even though I feel like I got a great education from SWBTS with the professors who were there at the time. Almost everyone of them have left and the quality of education has severely decined. It is not at all the same anymore. The president is more interested in a political fight and lavish living than scholarship.

I would recommend Southern Seminary, Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary, Regents College in Canada, and Trinity Evangelical Divinity School.

My personal preference would be TEDS.

I am told by friends of mine that there is an overabundance of professors waiting to teach in seminaries. Get a degree that would allow you teach at a university as an evangelical. There is incredible opportunity. I teach at a univerity in an area not related to theology but have students coming to my office quite often for personal advice.

#23 gb93433, Apr 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2008
  4. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Really? My formation group leaders Dr. Scharf (on sabbatical) and Dr. Crain (current) have D.Min's and are professors.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are many professors across the U.S. in particular fields of study who have a M.A.

The Ph.D. is much better to have than a D.Min. in the academic world. It is highly recognized as a terminal research degree.

6. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

I know. I am just pointing out to Paul33 that people who took the MDiv/DMin route still have merit. Drs. Scharf and Crain being examples.

#26 PreachTREE, Apr 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2008
  7. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

I really don't mean to hijack the thread, but...

I never really considered the secular realm of academia. Right now I am in the MDiv program at TEDS preparing myself for future ministry. After thinking about it, an evangelical professor has ample opportunities to minister. Let's say someone has an MA from TEDS and gets a PhD from Marquette in Systematic Theology. Who would potentially hire him? I don't know, maybe God's redirecting my path :saint:

8. habeoChristum

habeoChristum New Member

I don't think you're hijacking the thread. In fact, I think you're thinking about a very similar question to the one I had...

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A PhD in systematic theology might limit you. A secular institution will not offer that kind of curriculum. A PhD in religious studies might be a better option.

10. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PreachTREE Response

PT,

If one is really set on going the MA/PhD route and not taking the seminary MDiv detour, this self same person can always do a "cognate PhD" at the public or private university.

This "cognate PhD" would have to be something the "secular" university, Liberal Arts "Christian University," Bible college, or seminary could/would want or need.

By cognate PhD I mean one in the fields of: Comparative Religions, Comparative Literature, Classics, History of Western Thought, History of the Western Intellectual Thought, Semitic Languages, History proper, or even Philosophy.

This might help to answer:

"Who would potentially hire him?"

I believe that person, so equipped, would be eligible to be hired by any organization listed above would they not?

Then of course, if a person had a "religious degree" "to boot," then that would be better by far.

A couple of things, would of course, enter into the mix when considering doing such a study regimen:

1. The person going on this "more direct route" would have to consider whether or not they were going to "do ministry" in the future.

2. Secondly, it would really be helpful very early in the process if one "wanted to know what they wanted to be when they grow up!" By this I mean: does the person know for sure if when they may/may not do professional ministry in the future. Then it seems that a ministerial and/or vocational master's degree of some hue or tint would have to be done for credibility in the selected church field or work.

Some other things to consider:

1. God' Sovereignty.

2. God's Providence.

3. Right place/right timing.

4. "Having a friend" who can give some help, i.e., placing a resume to the right person, speaking the right word to the right person at the right time.

5. The person being excellent in their chosen PhD program. which goes without saying.

6. Having a degree that someone wants, i.e., survey the field and see who is hiring and what PhD degrees are opening doors.

Sometimes we must compromise and do a degree that we really do not want, in order to be able to teach. Flexibility may be the order of the day, if one wants to teach.

In my instance, I ended up with a degree, and even another whole area of graduate studies that I would not have chosen on the very beginning. But in the Sovereignty/Providence of God, I have been placed in a "teaching gig" for ten years at a small RA Baptist college in W. TN. This issue is just like those of the "real world," one must make themselves "sellable."

7. Last but not lease, and this is the one that I have had to learn in an extremely difficult manner: Write, write, write; Then, publish, publish, publish; Then, give papers, give papers, give papers at the professional conferences. GIVE THYSELF TO THIS!!!!! very early on in your career!

Did I answer the wrong question? Or is this TMI?

"That is all!":laugh:

#30 Rhetorician, Apr 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2008
  11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I believe you are mistaken on getting into DTS Ph.D. program.

http://www.dts.edu/admissions/degrees/doctoral/phd/

They do take M.Div. (or the equivalent, I assume) grads. They do however, add more requirements for this one, than for one who is a Th.M or S.T.M. arrival. But the "higher" level Master's degree is not required.

Ed

#31 EdSutton, Apr 13, 2008
  12. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I am currently getting my credentials to teach English in public schools. I just taught a lesson at the local high school on Jonathan Swifts' "Gulliver's Travels." We discussed deism, evil, sovereignty, freedom, religion, politics, etc. all in one class.

I believe that getting a Ph.D. to teach in a secular university is the route we ought to be advising our best and brightest. The interaction with students is incredible!

13. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

No doubt. But I bet they got their positions because of who they know and long term service to their denomination and/or institution.

To get hired today with a D.Min and no connections to the school or denomination is virtually impossible. You have to know the right people in the right places.

14. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Wow. That was real good e-counsel. Thanks for the well thought out response. I have a lot of praying and soul searching to do before the next semester.

15. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Dallas Willard observed his times and redirected his efforts to teaching at the university instead of becoming a pastor. And look at his impact!

I agree that one must write, publish and present.

Also, one must often earn a degree to earn the right to teach even though he may already be qualified. And, as has been stated, one must be marketable. Therefore, the degree may not be the exact focus one wants, but if it gets him in the door, then so be it.

A top tier university degree will allow you to teach at the university and the seminary. Does anyone know, for the sake of arguement, if any one with a seminary Ph.D. is teaching at a secular university?

Blessings! BTW, I do teach as an adjunct at two Christian universities.

16. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Yeah I guess youre right. Dr. Crain is heavily involved in the Free church and Dr. Scharf interned under John Stott.

17. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ed Response

Ed,

I stand corrected and humbled by your erudition. I am thankful to number you amongst my friends in the academe.

I am in your debt.:thumbs:

This is an edited addendum to my first response. Scroll on down Bro. Ed and see if I have not read it correctly in the "Course Requirements," is there not a ThM equivalent type requirement?

Please advise.

#37 Rhetorician, Apr 13, 2008
  18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

First, I am not in academe, at least as of now, but am a farmer, and sometimes taxi driver.

Second, there is an additional 26 hrs, required at DTS, for one accepted with 'only' the M.Div., but no requirement, that I saw, for any "in-between" degree before one can receive the Ph.D..

But thanks for the compliments, anyway, and I am gald to know that you would consider me as a friend.

EdSutton, B.A.; N.D.

#38 EdSutton, Apr 13, 2008