1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Seminary would you pick?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Convicted by the Spirit, Aug 24, 2005.

?
  1. Masters Seminary

12.5%
  2. DTS

4.2%
  3. Fuller

4.2%
  4. SWBTS

4.2%
  5. SEBTS

12.5%
  6. NOBTS

27.1%
  7. SBTS

6.3%
  8. TEDS

6.3%
  9. Gordon Conwell

4.2%
  10. Westminster (CAL)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Westminster (PHIL)

18.8%
  12. What were you thinking? You missed the best school (my school)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I highly doubt that's the Central Seminary they're talking about. THAT seminary is ABC-USA and is lightyears away from being fundamentalist.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The correct question is
    The answer: Convicted by the Spirit.

3. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Central Baptist Theological Seminary in Minnesota. The school Dr. Clearwaters led. Correct?

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, originally the graduate school of W.B. Riley's old Northwestern Schools. After Northwestern closed Dr. Clearwaters, in 1956, with the approval of the board, brought the Seminary under his church, 4th Baptist of Minneapolis, and changed the name to Central Conservative Baptist Theological Seminary. In about 1960 the word "Conservative" was dropped due to the New Evangelical drift of the Conservative Baptist Association.

After Dr. Clearwater's retirement the Seminary was headed first by Doug McLachlan, then by Ernest Pickering, then again by Doug McLachlan, and in 2003, Kevin Bauder became Central's fourth and current president.

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I highly doubt that's the Central Seminary they're talking about. THAT seminary is ABC-USA and is lightyears away from being fundamentalist. </font>[/QUOTE]CBTS-KC is so far away from my sector of the Baptist galaxy that this is the first I've heard of it.

6. Pronto

Pronto New Member

FYI - CBTS-KC is where former SBTS prof Dr. Molly Marshall is now president. First female to be president of a baptist (I want to say any seminary, but that might be giving more credit then credit is due) seminary in USA.

Of the ones listed I went with Gordan. But if I were going to school today I would choose Truett Seminary in Waco, TX; Baylor University.

7. Broadus

Broadus Member

I would have included Reformed Theological Seminary in the list, though I voted for my alma mater, SBTS.

BTW, I have a good friend who teaches at Central (Minnesota), with whom I did PhD Church History seminars at Southern. He's a sharp guy and is well aware of scholarship outside of IFB circles while remaining fundamentalist himself.

Bill

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I would go to southeastern because its the closest. I'd like to see SBC seminaries start offering some online DL programs and not just online courses. There a bit behind the times in this.

9. Convicted by the Spirit

Pronto,

Could you over look the fact that Truett Seminary sides with the BGCT on the issue of there being errors in scripture?

(taken from baylor website)• We believe the scriptures, both Old Testament and New Testament are inspired,
    authoritative, written Word of God given to teach us what to believe and how to
    live.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They may be ahead of their times too. I do not know of one online course that even comes close to in class experiences in seminary or university. The university I am at decided not to offer online courses for that very reason.

We have loads of foreign students coming from other countries to study and Americans will not even pay a much smaller price for an education in their own country! Who are we kidding! America is constantly falling behind other countries due to its laziness.

It is hard for me to believe that parents will call the university or department head and complain. But they do. They regularly complain about how the courses should be made easier to accomodate their lazy son or daughter.

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

They may be ahead of their times too. I do not know of one online course that even comes close to in class experiences in seminary or university. The university I am at decided not to offer online courses for that very reason.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I agree wholeheartedly that the in-class experience is best, but I am thinking about the more mature student -- one who finds it difficult to leave job and family to pursue education. AND certainly one who's parents would not be involved in anyway in their education. My son is at Southwestern, but he is unencumbered by life's obligations at this point. I'm looking at seminary programs, but I'm not willing to leave my husband to go to a brick and mortar school.

I do think that online degree programs should be added to the mix. Other accredited seminaries have made this adjustment.

12. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

And embarrassingly so, I do know they difference between they're and there -- even though I didn't notice that error in time to edit it. [​IMG]

13. Pronto

Pronto New Member

Are you expecting me to take that serious?

14. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another worshipper at the altar of the lies and half-truths of Pope Paige?!?

The BGCT and Truett Seminary both use the BF&M 1963. But somehow I think you knew that :rolleyes:

15. Convicted by the Spirit

Then why would the BGCT and Truett both not put in their belief statements "without error" and in turn leave the door wide open. I don't agree with Paige Patterson nor do I like what he has done with a seminary I had hopes to attend. If I spoke in er then I apologize. I heard from a reliable source that the BGCT believes that the scriptures are with error. I realize "the BGCT" is a broad term. Since both of you are from the BGCT tell me what are the differences of beliefs between the BGCT and SBC?

16. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know about Pronto, but the basic most obvious difference is the BGCT follows the 1963 BF&M and the SBC follows the 2000 BF&M. I am sure the differences have been discussed here before. A search would probably give you a good idea about what folks think about the differences.

I'm sure the website is just giving a shorter version of the detailed statement that the prof's and admin have to agree to.

"Without error" where, in the translations we have now, the manuscripts, the originals? This topic alone could be pages and pages of reading on a website designed for the most part, to give basic information to interested students.

17. Saint

Saint New Member

Louisiana Baptist University.

18. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I think for many adults, whether in full time minstry or not, distance learning is the only possible way to get a seminary education.

Many schools see the value in distance education and are quickly getting onboard.

The trick is to find good schools that are not cost prohibitive. I found one Christian school that offers a D.Min. at a price of $655 per hour. You do the math.

Some have said unless the school is accredited by CHEA, that you shouldn't go.