1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Feb 15, 2007.

?
  1. Liberty Theological Seminary (AA, BA, MAR/MDIV)

19 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. Luther Rice University (BA, MA/MDIV)

11 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. Southern Evangelical Seminary (MA/MDIV/MAR)

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Moody Bible Institute (BA)

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Temple Baptist Seminary (MA/MDIV)

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Piedmont Baptist College (MABS)

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. Other...please name.

31 vote(s)
    43.1%
  1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's cool, absolutely a good opinion. Thanks :)

2. God's_Servant

God's_Servant New Member

Personally, I want to go to Bob Jones University.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

So many of the better professors and preachers that have had an impact on my life and in my life time have come out of DTS. I would say more than any other school.

I would say you disagree with there theology, which is fine. I like those points which you disagree with, but I don't run in the same crowds as you do. Just a question, would the head of the seminary at Liberty agree with you on these, just asking?

When I went to seminary I would have agreed with you. So I went to a good Presbyterian, Calvinist seminary. My theology changed by the time I finished school, and not to debate, but I believe I made the correct move. With that said, I believe it is possible that we will see none of us or very few of us got it a 100% correct. Over the years, I've ask folks from Criswell to Jim Kennedy and they said we all believe we are correct but we will see where we are wrong(my wording, not their but added up to the same) . My question, why didn't you go a school which held your Reformed views? You seem to have named some good schools.

#43 Bob Alkire, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2010
  4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Question to Confuse the Mix?

Hello to all:

There seems to be an assumption here in the discussion, or maybe it is my inference; who knows?

But I would like to suggest that many are going to seminary "to get their theology" rather than sharpen or hone their own theology.

This is what happened to me. I was reared in a "Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so" nominal SBC church, with a "Bob Jones man" pastor--who was a strong personal "soul winner" in the "old fashioned revivalist" mode, topical "I am agin it" worldliness preaching type paradigm, etc, etc, etc, et al.

When I arrived at seminary I was a bit overwhelmed. I had studied some theology on my own apart from my home church and found that my home environment had been "40 miles wide and 6 inches deep!" theologically that is!!

I am not lambasting my home pastor for sure since he; ordained me to be a Deacon, baptized me, ordained me to the Gospel ministry, and married my wife and I.

But a couple of observations have become convictions to me as I have "become of age" ministerially:

First, our Baptist churches are woefully short on teaching the Bible as the "whole counsel of God," ie, book by book exegesis in a good homiletical application sort of manner.

Secondly, (and probably b/c of #1 above) our people in the pew are woefully ignorant of the Scripture which may be the major reason the church militant is in the mess it is in. We are more the "church milk toast" rather than the "church militant" are we not?

And it is from these "rank and file" pew Christians that many (not all) of our young people are going straight into the ministry or straight to the Bible College or Seminary.

By application, the young people going off to seminary have to "choose what kind of graduate they want to look like." Which has it's up side as well as it's down side I suppose.

My question is: Should our young people going off to seminary not know more about the Scriptures that some of these type threads indicate they may know.

I guess this begs the question: Does one go to seminary (or Bible College) to learn the Bible/Theology? Or does one just want to attend to sharpen previouly acquired skills? I suppose this is a "chicken and egg" question that cannot be answered in this forum?

Or, should they "get their theology" when they arrive like I was forced to do, on some level? I am sure there is a myriad of answers to the question. But I would like to hear some feedback. :tear: I chose this emoticon because this really does make me quite sad!!!

And I will understand if the administrators want to start a new thread.

Food for thought? What think ye?

"That is all!"

#44 Rhetorician, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2010
  5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I don't know. But all of the schools I see listed and most of the ones brought up here are good schools. I was brought up reading more of Calvin, Gill, Pink, Zwingli, Hodge and Edwards than the Bible. I didn't believed a Baptist could be a true Calvinist, so I chose my school in accord. By the time I finished school, I changed my view and I wasn't in accord with the school.

I would think most would pick a school which would be in accord with what he believed. If I was going today, I don't know but if things are the same as they were 25 years ago or more, I would pick DTS first then GTS and then Philadelphia school of the Bible.

But as I said most all of these schools are good schools as far as I know.

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I am not knocking DTS. DTS has produced some good guys: I cut my teeth on Micheal Patton's TTP program. I simply object to the idea that it is the "leader" in any way. DTS is an excellent seminary, but there are many with better statistics, as well as better reputations.

It depends: I believe he would agree with the "Not baptist enough" statement, as well as the "too permissive" statement, since Liberty's statement of faith seems to exclude "free" grace theology (which I call "cheap grace" theology. My theology has free grace as well, it just isn't powerless).

Can you please name a school which is accredited, has a good Distance ed. program, that is reformed, and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Something I love about Liberty: people are all over the board. 2 of my professors so far have been full blown Calvinists. At least one of my professors was an adjunct who was a professor from a reformed Seminary.

Liberty has an anti-Calvinistic reputation, which is really only found in the dean, and a few others. Most of them are not so prejudiced.

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I like Micheal too. I could be wrong but I believe he is in a church in Ok. now. I like his attitude about theology, we can differ and not slam the other. We will differ over DTS but we might differ over what is the best ice cream as well.
    I know at one time he and his brother both liked DTS. No it isn't a Baptist school.
    My friend, I don't know. I taught school and went to school in Richmond. I liked to have died, or I think I felt like it. You know the old tales I walked up hill both ways in snow three feet high here in Florida, times were hard. Looking back, it was some great years.

Jerry Falwell was asked about Calvinists theology and if I recall correctly, he said he didn't know, but the more he preached the Gospel the more people came to Christ. I don't think he was for or against Calvin he just didn't preach like he was. He gave you the liberty to learn for your self. Folks who are into Calvinists are not my enemy, I just disagree with them. Do I want to hear it, no. I've sat in many a church that held to that theology and never felt it pushed and enjoyed it. I've also been in many and they can take Jesus wept and turn it into a half an hour of that theology. You brought up Micheal Patton and if I'm not wrong he is working in a non Calvinistic church.

8. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

I already chose Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, and was very pleased, so I guess I have to stick with them for lack of much knowledge of the others, but strictly from the list I think I would choose Liberty Theological Seminary.

9. jonathan.borland

You know Jerry Falwell wrote his honor's thesis at Baptist Bible College on why Calvinism is 100 percent correct. Later on in his ministry he would frequently mention that he was much smarter in those days. He would frequently say that it's amazing that the more he shares the gospel the more people turn out to be "elect." One thing about Jerry was that he was always very practical.

10. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I had heard that, but didn't know if it were true or not. About the time he got saved in the south if one believed OSAS, they were called followers of Calvin. I held that belief until about 3 months before I finished seminary. If I'm correct BBC isn't what one would call a Calvinistic school and I did got to a Calvinistic seminary.

You are correct he was very practical and I wish more would have heard him preach as he could rather than trying to raise money for the school and other things.

11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would choose Liberty from that group.

12. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberty gives vets a hefty discount too....and I got a discount for being actively employed in law enforcement.

13. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberty is also reasonably priced, even outside of the seminary. My counseling program is slightly cheaper than the same program at the local state university.

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Am I at Liberty to give an answer?

15. jonathan.borland

Another one of Jerry's favorite marketing lines: "She is at Liberty to be married." (1 Cor 7:39)

16. jonathan.borland

The other one, of course, was: "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty." (2 Cor 3:17)

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Truett in Waco

18. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I didn't go to any of the above, but I might now.