1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Which Seminary?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by rmodis, May 1, 2012.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I am assuming you are speaking of the northern states? We do have several hundred church plants in the Northern states. But I think that taking the Gospel to people who have never heard it before, in Ubekistan, (or other countries with unreached people groups), trumps planting denominational churches, in our gospel saturated country.

2. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Oh I disagree with him on things such as Christ death being on a Friday when it was on a Wednesday. I disagree with him on allowing women to teach sunday school to men. I disagree with him on the Lords Supper and conducting on Sunday Morning so all members can partake because they don't all attend on Sunday Evenong. Problem is almost every SBC in this general area teaches the same thing, and the BBFI churches are almost all KJVO, so far I haven't found any church better to attend but guess what my pastor is pre-mill, pre-trib he does believe once saved always saved and we agree on major doctrines. That is the big thing one should align with the school on the major doctrines and can disagree on the minor ones.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Son....have you ever lived in Northern New Jersey, Long Island, PA or Vermont? Its been my experience that these are NOT gospel saturated. Now it may cost more to operate here but no way is this area gospel saturated. & if the SBC tells you that, then they are lieing to you. You will find more non believers here than at the polar regions. And I would stand face to face with Al Mohler (who I truly respect) and tell him that.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rensselaer Technical School......I hardly think they are a good place to try to get a seminary degree. ROFL!

5. rmodis

rmodis New Member

Spiritual Formation

Hey,

I have another general question since nobody really answered my last one. What is your opinion on Spiritual Formation and is it biblical?

I have looked into this matter quite a bit, but it never hurts to get a few more honest opinions.

In particular, I would like to know what your opinion of it is in relation to DTS (They require students to take Spiritual Formation classes whereas seminaries such as Southern and Master's do not).

Thanks and Gig 'em

Grace and Peace in Christ

Ryan Modisette

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

All of the residents of New Jersey, New York, Long Island, etc., have easy access to the gospel. There are Bibles, there are book stores, there are (I happen to know for a fact...I know one of them) several SBC missionaries in that region.

There are places around the world with NO gospel access. Those should be our primary focus.

Not to say this is not a good mission field. But an unreached people group, is a group that could not even get the gospel if they wanted it and were looking for it. 0 gospel access. That does not describe any place in the U.S.

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Depends on the curriculum. If it addresses the Spiritual Disciplines from a right and proper viewpoint, then they are great. Don Whitley, at Southern, teaches these classes. I highly recommend his book on the disciplines.

IF the curriculum is the horrible garbage that MOST seminaries are using, that is heretical nonsense by Dallas Willard, Richard Foster, etc., then it is worse than useless.

8. rmodis

rmodis New Member

IF the curriculum is the horrible garbage that MOST seminaries are using, that is heretical nonsense by Dallas Willard, Richard Foster, etc., then it is worse than useless.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I am unsure about. I know that Southern avoids these practices, but it is entirely obscure as to whether DTS does the same. There, the curriculum is called Spiritual Formation, while at Southern, it is called Personal Spiritual Disciplines.

If DTS is dabbling in these questionable practices, then I that alone will be enough to dissuade me from going there.

9. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I've seen DTS's spiritual formation requirements are more of a cohort type group than anything, though I might be wrong,

10. rmodis

rmodis New Member

One more question: if I were to go to SBTS, would it be better to pursue the concentration in Biblical and Theological Studies or the concentration in Worldview and Apologetics?

I am passionate about both, and I am seriously considering the pursuit of a PhD in Philosophy as well as a PhD in Theology. If I feel God calling me to do the former, I would be looking at attending either Notre Dame or Oxford. Again, it will wholly depend upon God.

The reason that I ask is this: if I am to seriously pursue studies mixing the two fields together, then wouldn't it be better to take the route that fixates upon the languages more? I will have a solid philosophy undergraduate education and do not want to relearn anything. Plus, I will need to have a deep understanding of the scriptures.

If anyone has any experience with either of these two degree emphases, I would love to hear your opinion.

Thanks guys,
    Ryan

#70 rmodis, May 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
  11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Most schools will only take up to 12 hours max. from another accredited school toward a graduate degree.

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a somewhat humerous thread. Thought I would throw my two cents in. Avoid anything SBC, MacArthur, dispensational or diploma mill related. Look for conservative leaning not fundamentalist thinking. Affordability should be a big factor as you're going to be a pastor/teacher - not exactly big bucks to pay back loans and such. Look to be challenged not spoon fed what you already "think" you believe or know. Finally, look for something that will enable you to be active in a local church while going to school. I have seen a lot of folks check out of the local church while attending seminary. Strange, but it happens. Note: if said seminary tells you what church you have to attend, run away as fast as you can.

If looking to attend today I would look at Truett in Waco

13. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Truett = BGCT = SBC. Doesn't that kind of go against what you just said?

14. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't want to drag up 40 years of history, but Truett is BGCT related, but it's not SBC, not by a long shot! The BGCT is SBC related to a degree, but the darling convention in Texas of the SBC is the Southern Baptists of Texas Convention (SBTC), the one that endorses a Baptist brider jr. college in East Texas.

As examples of the differences, the seminary allows and even encourages women to teach and preach. It does not make professors sign (in a most ridiculous manner) the BFM 2000.

15. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

Funny how that junior college in East Texas and the associated Seminary mets all of your original criteria.

Can you give credible data that supports your claim that Jacksonville College is a Bapist Brider college? Which professors at the college teach this doctrine?

16. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Yeah, ridiculous to require that the guy teaching actually believes in and follows Jesus and the Bible.

GOOD GRIEF!

The BGCT is borderline abomination...and I am the pastor of a BGCT church!

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it's BMA, it's Baptist brider, that is one of the things that makes them different from other Baptists "we're Baptist because Jesus was a Baptist". They have a little booklet and everything!:tongue3:

From BMA doctrinal statement:
    X. CHURCH
    C. The Perpetuity of the Church—Instituted by Jesus during His personal ministry on earth (Matt. 16:18; Mark 3:13-19; John 1:35-51), true churches have continued to the present and will continue until Jesus returns (Matt. 16:18; 28:20).

Which true churches are they speaking of? Do they have a list?

It may be lightened up a bit, but that is in essence the Baptist brider position. It is in the BMA DNA. Have they move away from this position? Do they accept baptisms from churches that are not baptist but still scriptural?

18. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

You obviously don't know what the Baptist Brider position is. The Baptist Brider position is that only Baptists make up the bride. You can believe in church perpetuity and not hold to the brider position. A common position in East Texas is the glory bride position, beautifully summarized by David Miller's sermon at SBTS, which I conveniently linked here:

http://www.sbts.edu/resources/by-author/Rev.-David-Miller/

David Cloud is an IFB. He would be able to sign the BMA statement, but is not a Baptist brider.

http://www.wayoflife.org/database/baptistbrider.html

In short, you are accusing these men of holding to a Baptist brider position without any documented proof. It is a specific theological concern with a clear definition. By saying that these men believe in it, but not supporting it with actual data, you are bearing false witness.

There are several terms you can use to describe the school based on the doctrinal statement, but since it does NOT say that the school holds that only Baptists are in the bride, you are simply spreading misinformation.

It would be like me saying since Baylor rejected ID in 2007, that they are an atheist school. Just because a school holds to church perpetuity does not mean that they are a Baptist brider school. These are two totally different concepts.

19. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

This is an obvious reference the the Trail of Blood.

Anabaptists also have a book called the Martyr's Mirror.

There is also Foxe's book of martyrs.

All are older history books that say NOTHING about a Baptist bride.

You may disagree with Carrol's history (mainly because it has serious weaknesses in logic and synthesis), but you can not call the Trail of Blood a Brider book. Briders may use it to advance their ideas, but the book itself says nothing about a Baptist bride.

20. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Um, please don't equate Foxe's Book of Martyrs (that is MUCH older, and viewed to be scholarly and somewhat historically reliable), and the fiction book, "The Trail of Blood."

But you are right: "Trail of Blood" is a Landmarkist book, though it certainly does not exclude Baptist Bride nonsense.