1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which sports teams have a "nation"?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by ccrobinson, Feb 8, 2006.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

During the Steelers-Broncos game a few weeks ago, Jim Nantz talked about "Bronco-nation". I wasn't aware that the Broncos had achieved "nation" status. In the UK thread, TomVols made a mention of "Kentucky-nation" in discussing the Mildcats.

So, what makes a sports team achieve "nation" status? I believe it's when the team in question has many, many fans across the country that live and die with their team. A team that is more local to a region or city doesn't make it to "nation" status. I don't think the Donkeys or the Mildcats have reached "nation" status because I don't think enough people care about those teams outside of their particular region of the country.

So, which teams have achieved "nation" status?

Here's the list of teams that immediately come to my mind.

Boston Red Sox
    Chicago Cubs
    Oakland Raiders
    Dallas Cowboys

Agree? Disagree? Different definition of "nation" status? Who would you add/subtract to/from my list?

2. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I agree with the original list. I think the Steelers would be on the list.

I would also add:

NY Yankees

Green Bay Packers

I think several of the big name college programs in different sports would be included

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "____-nation" is nothing but a hopeful phrase carrying an illusion that anywhere you go there are vast crowds of fans for that team.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

How about, in the US, only national teams, like the Olympic teams, or the Walker, Davis, or Ryder Cup teams, to name a few? In other words, only the nation has 'a nation'. The rest of teams, any and all, or none, anyone or no one can 'lay claim to' as they choose. I realize that may annoy some, but it seems fair to me.
    Ed

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Ireland has a national team in football (soccer), rugby, etc.

Would these be "nation teams"? ;) [​IMG]

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Yep! IMNSHO! Although I was talking about just the US, as I thought that is what the post implied. Any 'national' team, I think qualifies for any so-called national 'state'. From the Ireland soccer team to the Jamacian Bobsled team to the English ski-jumping team which featured Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards. (Is he the same guy that often posts here, btw, figuring that since he did not manage to commit suicide on skis, he would let someone try to do the job with a 'poison pen'? Just askin'!) Those are what I consider "nation" teams. The so-called European Ryder and Walker Cup teams, BTW, I don't. The are more accurately defined as 'World' teams.
    Ed

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Although there are national teams like an Olympic team, Ryder Cup, Davis Cup, and national soccer/rugby teams, that isn't really where I intended to go. I was referring to the teams where the media thinks there is a large enough fan base across the country to call them a "nation".

My main point was to quibble with Jim Nantz's idea of calling Denver Broncos fans "Bronconation". I don't think the Donkeys fan base has achieved "nation" status.

I didn't think the Steelers fan base was large enough to be called Steelernation, but it appears that I stand corrected. I'll go along with Yankeenation also, but I think we have to draw the line at Packernation. How there can be a Packernation for a team based out of the toilet paper capital of the world is beyond me.

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

[​IMG]

As much as I hate it, Green Bay has fans all over the place. I am not sure why, but they do

10. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

The first team I ever heard of referred to as a nation was the OK Sooners - Sooner Nation. I think that the term should begin and end with them - just as Texas A&M has the 12th man (copyrighted by the way) - the aggies were agressive when seattle tried to rip them off this year!

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Personnaly don't like the whole "nation" hype, but Bama has been the BamaNation for a long time.

12. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The West Indies cricket team is a team from the nations.....

13. Tony kelly

Tony kelly New Member

The first time I ever heard it was with the Raiders .This season was the first time I ever heard it with the Steelers .With Dallas they were called America's team .I guess the same thing . I have to agree with PastorSBC1303 .Here in Western Pa. you see alot of Packer fans !

14. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

This month, the Steelers became No. 1 in sales for this season of NFL apparel and headwear, according to Reebok, the exclusive licensee. Reebok says five Steelers rank in the top 50 in jersey sales, more than any other club. That's Roethlisberger (second and climbing behind Oakland's Randy Moss), Hines Ward (10th), Troy Polamalu (11th), Bettis (33rd) and Willie Parker (40th).

"The Steelers have a following right now that is unrivaled," says Eddie White, Reebok's vice president of team properties. "Even when they are down and not making the playoffs, they're still going to be in the top 10 (in sales)."

• In the regular season, Pittsburgh led all NFL TV markets in local ratings for the second season in a row, according to the NFL. They averaged a whopping 45.0 rating and a 68 share. The rating is a percentage of TV households; the share is a percentage of households with TVs turned on. For Pittsburgh's three-game road playoff run to the Super Bowl, the numbers got even higher: 54.9 rating, 76 share vs. Cincinnati; 53.2 rating, 80 share vs. Indianapolis; 53.0 rating, 79 share vs. Denver.

The passion runs deep.

(For more)
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2006-01-26-pittsburgh-excitement_x.htm