1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Which Sunday School

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Sure there would be. I don't get the impression that Salty is the one who placed him in the leadership position. He doesn't even seem to know whether or not the pastor is already aware of this and has given his blessing or not.

There a re nosy people in every church. We call them busy bodies. If they want to know where he is, ask him and stop gossiping about him.

And they DON'T know that he isn't in SS because he is. They know he isn't in SS at their church.

How is he affecting anyone else? He's going to SS. They are going to SS. IS he not meeting the requirements of his leadership position?

And why shouldn't SS be about his needs? You go to a church because it meets a need and God told you to be there.

And we simply don't know why he's going to the other SS. He could as I mentioned earlier have a relationship over there with someone he's discipling or any number of other things.

Some of yall are just nosy and like to gossip. You don't know why he's at the other church for SS. The CHURCH is about Jesus and everybody else can just stay out the way.

And we have no idea what Jesus has told him to do.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets use an anology

Suppose Joe a professional sports player who has signed a contract to play for the New York Knicks, Washington Redskins and the St Louis Blues

Well, since the NFL basically plays on Sun, Joe will suit up for the Redskins on Sunday
    but what does he do when the Blues and Knicks have a game the same night.

Is he really a team player?

Likewise - this leader has a position in our church. by not being part of the team - what message is being sent to other church members?

I do believe in the universal church - but the local church is IMHO more important. (BTW, I do participate in the local town association of churches.) I would have no problem for a member to visit another church occasionally - but when you become a member you are committing yourself to that church.

What would my wife do, If I told her that I am going to go out to dinner and movie with another women - aren't we all Gods Children?

If I were the pastor - that leader would have a choice - start participating in our SS or give up your leadership position.

3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty, you apparently are offended by this individual. Have you talked to him about it before brining it into a public forum?

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's what happened for those who missed it in the other thread:

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not that I am personally offended - but rather I see it as a responsibility to be faithful to the church you have committed yourself to.

No, I will not be speaking to this individual - but for other different reasons. that have nothing to do with this issue. That is a totally different story -.......

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Again, this is silly until you ask him why he's attending the other SS. Ask him.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point is - that indiviaual is in a leadership position - and should be attending our SS.

There are REASONS I will not bring this up to the individual. Those reasons - is a different situation, which at the time I am not at liberty to discuss.

My decision - had I been the one to make the decision: either support our church or give up the leadership position stands.

I understand that there may be individuals which may assist other churches - but it should be a ministry of the first church - which in this case it is not. Further we are SBC, and this other church is Pentecostal.

8. gigabyte71

gigabyte71 Member

Yea, I can't see something going terribly wrong there.

9. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I'll stand by what I said earlier, Salty. If you feel the need to do something about this then you need to follow the gospel order. Try to sort things out yourself. If that fails, get two or three witnesses to go with you. If that does not reach this person, then you bring the matter before the church.

If it were me, going solely off what you've told us here, I believe I would've already spoken to this person. The potential for differing doctrines entering into whatever duties this person has as a "leader" would be enough to worry me about his/her effectiveness with the congregation as a whole.

I'm not sure an ultimatum, like "either support our church or give up the leadership position" is necessarily the correct way to go about this. Confrontation can be avoided if you handle this case with brotherly love.

10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree with PreachTony. Why, if you are unwilling to speak personally with the individual, you would air it in a public forum?

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not that I am unwilling. As I have said there are currently other issues involved.
    As far as a public forum, I have been very careful to not to give many details.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And I'll ask again. WHY? He's not paid staff and you don't know why he's attending the other SS. You haven't said that y'all made it a requirement that people in leadership be enrolled and attending a SS class at the church. Ask him why he's attending the other church's SS and let him know what y'alls expectations are for folks in leadership positions at the church.

Again, this is silly. He's attending another church's SS. You won't ask him why. And you won't tell him the reasons why he shouldn't beat the other church.

How is he not supporting the church? Is he not fulfilling the duties of the leadership position as explained to him before giving him the position? Is he not attending the regular service? Is he not tithing?

You're not in any position to make such a call because you haven't asked him why he's attending the other church's SS. Out of the 20 members, only 4 or 5 were showing up. You and your spouse and the pastor and his spouse would just about cover the attendance. Is he the only one in a leadership position not attending?

Again, you don't know what he's doing over there because no one has asked him.

Pentecostals are Christians too. Them being a different denomination is irrelevant unless you know what he's doing over there.

Maybe his immobile mother is a member at the other church and he gives her a ride every Sunday morning and sits with her through SS because he doesn't get to see her any other time.

You simply don't know because you haven't asked.

13. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I wouldn't go that far, Zaac. There are some pretty big doctrinal differences between the denominations. As a hypothetical, what if this "leader" went to a church that taught "believer's baptism" of only full immersion of professing believers, but he went to Sunday School (Bible Study) at a church that taught pedobaptism and sprinkling? Or, what if he went to Sunday School at a church that taught that baptism imparted saving grace?

Do you not then see how his ability to lead in his "home church" might be compromised?

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I understand the doctrinal differences. It's the same thing I said about the Duck Dynasty cast and their church of which they are members.

He , however, is not a member at the church. He's going to SS over there for a reason Salty doesn't seem to know.

Again, if he's not teaching or agreeing with contrary doctrine, it shouldn't be an issue. And plus, we STILL don't know why he's over there so this whole conversation is kinda moot.

Nope. Not unless the person, who knows he's over there but hasn't approached him as to the why and the why he thinks it's a bad idea, is gossiping about him to those at his home church.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually you don't - there are several items in your theory that are totally incorrect - there are many things that I am aware of. I will mention this - whether a person is paid staff or not - makes no difference. Either you are on the team or you are not. Me thinks you just want all the juicy details.

And with this - I am ending this discussion.

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Now just how are you gonna tell me that I don't understand the doctrinal differences between Pentecostals and Southern Baptists? :laugh:

There are several things that you THINK are incorrect.

Sure it does. You don't get to dictate that a person attend something in order to be in a position of leadership after not initially sharing that caveat with him. Now you won't have a conversation with him to explain that's what y'all expect out of leadership. And you don't know why he's over there.

This is a ridiculously foolish conversation to be having with anyone if you're not going to talk to him directly to see why he's attending another church for SS.

He is on the team. he's attending the church service and doing what y'all asked him to do in his position of leadership. From what you have said, no one told him that it was required that he attend SS at the church in order to be in the unpaid position of leadership.

You should not have even started the discussion if you're not going to talk to him to find out what needs to be known.

What you just took us through was a bunch of gossip.

17. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Why is it a problem to go to SS in another church?

18. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

That's been the heart of our discussion, Saggy. Salty's example was of a church "leader" attending Sunday School at a different church. Some of us have advocated that nothing needs to be done concerning this "leader." Others have advocated that the gospel order be applied and this person be spoken to first one on one, and if that were to fail, then in a group with at least two witnesses. If that still fails, then the matter should come before the church.

The issue falls to this: how different are the doctrines of the churches in question? It's why I made the point to Zaac that if this "leader" attended an Arminian church, but was going to Sunday School (which is often a Bible study for older believers) at a Calvinist church, then it could have an adverse effect on his leadership ability.

If the two churches have similar or same doctrine, then I don't see too much of an issue. I would find it odd that a "leader" in the church could not support the church's Sunday School, but unless it causes a negative change in his leadership ability, I'm not sure I could question it. If it's obvious that the churches hold to differing doctrines, then the issue needs closer examination.

Does that make sense?

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Can I ask a serious question? Where in God's word is there any mention of a Calvinist or Armenian church? And this is not particularly for you Tony.

I'm just wondering why people don't just speak to thus sayeth the Lord instead of grouping things into these Calvin/Arminian sects that seem to lead to nothing but arguments.

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and that is the heart of the issue!

I am going to a meeting with the Pastor this Sat. I plan on bringing up this issue to him. Lets see what happens.
    Again - there is a reason, I will not speak to the individual (at this point). There are many complicated issues going on, this being one of them. I will be discussing a few of the most important ones with the pastor. Most important of all, I covet your prayers in this matter.

BTW, the doctrine of the other church has nothing to do with the discussion. IMHO, the issue is commitment to our local church. ( but the different doctrine is a matter of concern - and I am not sure if the other church is Calvin or not)

#40 Salty, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014