1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Which versions For A New Christian to read and study from?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Yeshua1, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Before I respond to anything else from your quote, how about doing a favor, if you don't mind. Do a search here and remind me of just how many times I have stated that I hold to the KJB Only position.

Thanks!

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A regular adult with average reading skills, I'd say the ESV. If one had a particular disability (we have one like that at our church) and cannot comprehend anything above about a 3rd grade level, I'd go for the NIrV.

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If formal is what you want then the ESV isn't what you want. It calls its self "essentially literal".

What do you mean serious study? If you're looking at poetry, particularly in the Old Testament, literal or formal translations actually make things murky. Hebrew idioms don't translate very well into English, neither do all the Greek tenses and shadings.

4. JimmyH

JimmyH New Member

I grew up with the KJV and still read it daily. I also read the NKJV, ESV, and NASB just for my own clarification, and because I think they are fine translations.

1 Peter 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What version for a new Christian?

How old are they?
    What do they have at home?
    What is their educational background?
    What is their religious background?
    How invested are they in one-on-one discipleship?

I’ve given NIV Study Bibles even though it’s not a version I use a lot.
    I’ve given NLT Study Bibles to younger new believers.
    For some with some religious background or that might enjoy formal study, the ESV Study Bible is a good choice.
    Sometimes a specialty bible works - a Recovery BIble, a discipleship bible etc.

If I never am going to see the again, I give them my bible, I can always get another.

Personally I discourage using the Authorized Version – not that it’s not a fair version but because of the old English used. If it’s the version they have at home I’d encourage them to use another version alongside to clarify meanings.

Rob

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wayne (ESV) Grudem takes offence when folks refer to his version as formally-equivalent. Yeah,he makes sure people understand that it goes by the principle of essentially-literal.

#26 Rippon, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2013
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i do consult the HCSB in those areas, while still do most of my reading in either the Nasb/esv!

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    where/why does he make the distinction?

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

and reply

Do you have a count yet?

Since you were so outspoken with your reference comparing me to Bill Clinton and my "precious .......", "deviation", etc. , though sure by now you'd have your ducks in a row to support your claim of my "doctrine of KJVOnlyism".

Oh, well.............:flower:

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Sorry if I mistook you for a KJVO'er. It's just that your sentiment seemed to be in favor of that position. I will do a search at another time. but sometimes KJVO advocates give you hearty amens. Kind of confusing if you aren't among their number.

11. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

Nkjv, esv, kjv, nasb, 1560 geneva, 1599 geneva.