1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

While I Was Sleeping

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by dianetavegia, Mar 27, 2005.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Gradually I've begun to remember bits of my comatose state: The swimming-through-mud feeling of trying to surface to awareness. The frightening dreams. The intense and very real spiritual warfare, a battle as unto death. The fog of being strapped in a chair with daytime television on to "stimulate" me, vaguely registering that people were in my room, but unable to comprehend that, let alone communicate. It was like watching someone through opaque glass underwater, visible but obscure and unreachable. And the weeks of living in the shadowland between my coma and full awareness, with times of frustration beyond belief.

I remember Tim holding one of my hands, a neurologist the other, and telling me to squeeze their hands. Unable to do so or to speak, I felt my brain screaming, "Why can't I do this? Maybe I'm dying." Later, my inability to use the call button left me banging a spoon on the bedside table for an hour and a half. No one came. They thought it was the repetitive motor response of a brain-damaged woman.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/tc/2005/002/4.44.html

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Incredible story, Diane! Thanks for posting it.

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What a story. I too was in a coma for a while as a child after being run over by a car. I should hate to think of the risk I would have been in - had the people in Florida been in charge of that hospital.

What a horrible thing to starve someone to death!

May God act quickly.

In Christ,

Bob

4. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

Someone explained to me one time that a coma was the body's last ditch effort at repairing itself. Sort of , shut everything down that isn't necessary for life and then concentrate on repair.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Excellent article everyone ought to read.