1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

White House following new path to secrecy

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by JamieinNH, Jun 2, 2007.

1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

WASHINGTON - A newly disclosed effort to keep Vice President Dick Cheney's visitor records secret is the latest White House push to make sure the public doesn't learn who has been meeting with top officials in the Bush administration.

Over the past year, lawyers for President Bush and Cheney have directed the Secret Service to maintain the confidentiality of visitor entry and exit logs, declaring them to be presidential records, exempt from a law requiring their disclosure to whoever asks to see them.

STORY LINK

It doesn't surprise me any with this President. He has only got a little time left, so it really shouldn't be a big deal. Except.... We don't know who will be in office next, and with all these laws and things Bush is signing and passing, how much power will the next POTUS have? Will we want them to have it? Suppose they are worse than Bush?

It's sad to see our country, freedom and everything it has stood for slip away.. little by little.

Jamie

2. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Jamie, the media and prosecutors are equally to blame. The incident at JFK has been exposed, the total target revealed, the catastrophe that would have resulted, how they planned to do it. Our open society exposes its innermost vulnerabilities to a world that hates us.

On the one hand, secrecy. On the other, blatant revelations that will destroy us once the terrorists find something that works.

How much secrecy is enough? How much revelation of our secrets is too much?

3. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

You know, in one point you are very correct. We should protect ourselves, however I think it's a little bit different when we're talking about a visitor log. I am sure some would think that a great thing to protect, but I don't see it. If you're so keen on protecting that, then in my opinion it's only because you have something to hide.

This President hasn't done a good job in my opinion, sharing with the public what he could share. He seems to want everything private and thus makes people like myself distrust him.

Not only that, but as a supporter of the Republican party, I am sure you will kick and scream when a Democrat gets in office and uses the same new found powers. Or will it be different then?

That was my point. This President has little time, so short of starting a war with another country, there's not much I worry about with him, but there will be other people in office, and they will be afforded the same powers and one day these people with these powers will hurt our country. Just a matter of time.

Jamie