1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

White House Rules of Engagement: From the Ridiculous to the Sublime

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by righteousdude2, Feb 22, 2010.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 1967, I thought that the Rules of Engagement in Viet Nam were totally crazy, and more often, than not, dangerous for me and my fellow comrades in arms.

However, on February 16, 2010 I read in the Washington Post that our soldiers are being asked to "observe" a residence for 72 hours before they can call in an air-strike.

I was wondering if Obama, the White House, and the Pentagon want these same soldiers to knock on the door of that residence when the 72 hours has passed, and read, any persons still in the house, their Miranda Rights?

I know that Washington is trying to avoid the death of innocents, but, this is war! And in war, there will be the loss of life, both, civilian and military personnel. Unfortunately, some of those who are injured during the taking of a town, village, province, or city will be non-combatants. This can't be helped. Even when the non-combatants are forewarned of our plans to invade their city [like in Nam]. What's worse in this war on terror is that the extremists [insurgents] will take non-combatants hostage, and using the as human shields.

America will never win this war as long as they hold to principles and values that the other side do not hold to. Our civil and politically correct approach to fighting a war may be honorable, but, how many men and women have already been injured or lost their life because of these ridiculous Rules of Engagement.

Maybe if Obama, his advisor's, and the generals who sit in offices, far, far away (from the field where the wars are fought), were given guns and assigned to be the "point" of the advancing column, maybe, just maybe, the paper upon which the ROE's are written would be ripped to pieces, and the enemy would face a new and improved US military machine. A military that is willing to fight anywhere, anytime, and without rules.

The order from Washington [Obama] to observe a home for 72 hours in order to determine "a pattern of life" is the most ridiculous order given to date. and, if you add in the need to read an insurgent their rights, we are doing more than simply placing our men and women in "Harm's way." We are almost guaranteeing their potential to be injured or killed without being allowed to protect themselves in the face of a threat to their life.

This has to stop.... and it has to stop now!

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/15/AR2010021500774.html

#1 righteousdude2, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2010
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the article:

"Under a tactical directive McChrystal issued last summer, troops must verify that there are no civilians inside a house by watching it for at least 72 hours to establish a "pattern of life" before an airstrike will be authorized."

I agree with General McChrystal on this. We should do what we can to limit the U.S. military causing civilian casualties in this conflict. In a conflict where the enemy is hiding among innocent civilians then air strikes are not the best idea.