1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

White House VS. Rev. Franklin Graham

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Thousand Hills, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2...t-about-issues-surrounding-president-obamas-b

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said comments by Rev. Franklin Graham that there were issues surrounding President Obama's birth were "preposterous charges."

Graham, who has met with Obama before, appeared on ABC's "This Week" and was asked about people like Donald Trump bringing up questions about the president's birth. "Well, the -- the president I know has some issues to deal with here. He can solve this whole birth certificate issue pretty quickly. I don't -- I was born in a hospital in Asheville, North Carolina, and I know that my records are there," Graham said.

"You can probably even go and find out what room my mother was in when I was born. I don't know why he can't produce that. So I'm not -- I don't know. But it's an issue that looks like he could -- he could answer pretty quickly," he added.

Carney, in an abrupt answer, reacted and said, "It's interesting that a minister would use Easter Sunday to make preposterous charges."

A reporter in the daily White House briefing had asked for reaction to Graham's comments that aired Sunday and also for other charges that Graham has made about the Muslim Brotherhood infiltrating all parts of the Obama administration.

The interview with the influential evangelical pastor took place late last week, but aired on Easter Sunday.

The issue of the president's faith also came up. As recently as last week, President Obama professed his Christianity, also going to church services with his family in D.C. on Sunday. However, the president still battles misperceptions that he is a Muslim.

"Now, he has told me that he is a Christian. But the debate comes, what is a Christian? For him, going to church means he's a Christian. For me, the definition of a Christian is whether we have given our life to Christ and are following him in faith and we have trusted him as our lord and savior. That's the definition of a Christian. It's not as to what church you are a member of. A membership doesn't make you a Christian," Graham said.

The reverend said he does take the president at his word on that. "Well, when he says it, of course, I can't -- I'm not going to say, "Well, no, you're not." I mean, God -- God is the only one who knows his heart."

Nothing seems "preposterous" about Graham's comments to me. Seems he was doing an interview and was asked a question and gave his honest opinion.

Also think he handled the question well about Obama's Christianity.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember that Franklin gave the invocation at a dinner for Bush 42 inauguration dinner.

I distinctly remember Franklin praying in the name of Jesus Christ.

Looks like Franklin is not the exact same mold as Billy.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nothing to disagree about from me! Nice to see him take a stand!

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If You Hold A Position of Prominence . . .

. . . such as the one Franklin Graham holds, and you are asked a question as to the birth certificate fiasco; Muslims in the White House administration; and the difference between having a religion or having a "relationship" with Jesus, it is important to share the truth.

It was Franklin's job to represent the positions of his heart as the Scripture tells it and the Spirit lays it on heart!

As a born again believer, I am PROUD of Franklin Graham for making that kind of stand on national television.

If Obama is offended with Biblical principles and the truth, then "so be it!" I'm not so sure that his dad would have been so direct. I love Billy and respect all the tremendous work he has done for the Kingdom here on earth, but Billy may have danced around those questions in an attempt to be seen as being more politically correct!

Franklin has always been more candid and outspoken about Jesus and the Christian principles. It shouldn't bother him that he may not be the presidents "darling" what matters is that he uses those moments to speak on behalf of the Kingdom.

Pastor Paul :type:

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's not forget that Billy, in his younger years, was pretty straightforward. Somewhere as he got older, things changed a bit.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I understand it correctly, it was to get the Catholics to come to his crusade. The Bishops basically told Catholics they could not attend, until after Billy promised that any one who came forward, would have their "decision cards" sent to the Catholic church they attended