1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

White House Web Site Becomes Pro-Abortion After Obama Takeover

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ps104_33, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is irrelevant. No matter how many churches do whatever, it is wrong to worship Hindu and other gods in a house of worship built for Christ. It is wrong and always will be wrong.

What you are saying is like saying a robber is okay because there are people who murder.

Anyway, I'm not SBC.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

he is an SBC hater and looks for every opportunity to bash the convention. He has no credibility on this issue.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, his whole statement was totally without a point since I'm not SBC.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Usually is when he rants about the SBC, Dr. Patterson, or Sherri Klouda, or why he thinks churches are in decline.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

double post

#85 gb93433, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
  6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Loads of things are wrong. My point is that it is hard to criticize and condemn another when your own house is not in order. Both are wrong. The church can do something about its own condition but often cannot do something about someone else. The church could easily take charge of what it wants, if it would only get busy. The churches in Vista, CA did something about what they did not like in the local schools. They elected Christian school board members. They did not just complain. They did something.

Too many are complaining about those on the outside and fighting with their own inside and have not cleaned up their own house.

When I pastored a lady tried to get some pastors to support her in coming against a teacher who was requiring a book be read that contained lots of vulgarity. She told me that not one pastor would listen. I did and met with her. When I approached pastors in the local association not one would listen. Most said that it would not do any good and that their people would not support such a thing.

I presented it to the church I was pastoring and the people agreed to do what they could. At first we did not get very far. The teacher, superintendent, and school board would not listen. So one of the ladies contacted the local TV station and they interviewed her. The interview was broadcast at 6:00 PM. Immediately the issue was taken care of.

I do not see God as one who commands us to sit idly by and watch the world go around while we complain but rather make disciples.

Rev Mitchell, just thought you might like to know that the church is still SBC. They do have brains to think with and have boldness unlike so many others who just talk and make noise. I admire those people more than some of the local pastors who gave all kinds of excuses.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is not a matter of what I think. Maybe you are not aware of what your convention reports. You can subscribe to their regular emails of the news. Their website is http://www.bpnews.net/

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think your post is based on a false dichotomy.

When we see a house of God being desecrated or blaphemed, we don't have to be quiet until we are perfect. That day will never come.

Besides, my church is doing fine as far as I know.

This is not a matter of straightening anyone out but responding to a wrong that was done. I'm not going to be silent about it, and I think I have biblical support for saying something.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Gossip is a seriuos problem in so many churches today and seldom does anyone say anything. I remember speaking on gossip and I was amazed at how many people told me that they did not realize what gosssip was. The had accepted it as part of regular talk.

[/quote] Besides, my church is doing fine as far as I know.

This is not a matter of straightening anyone out but responding to a wrong that was done. I'm not going to be silent about it, and I think I have biblical support for saying something.[/quote]While I understand your point and agree with you in many ways. Yes I believe there is a time to say something and a time to shake the dust off of our feet. However, as Christians we must make sure that we do not spend time on stating busy winning the battle but lose the war.

We must not forget the big job God has called us to--making disciples. We can be so busy busy doing "good" things that Satan uses us to do nothing in regards to what God has called us to.

When I consider the life of Jesus and the political situation I still see one who made disciples and effected society and those around him.

People will join the bandwagon and support a boycott against various agencies and companies but fail miserably in the big job of making disciples.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I have no idea why you bring up boycotts. I said nothing about boycotts.

Speaking out on this is not preventing me to do what God has called me to do; in fact, speaking out on this is part of what God has called me to do.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Perhaps I am particularly sensitive to some of the comments made in public by Christians but I feel as though we must spend a great deal of time praying before we say or do anything. We must ponder what we say and do. I have heard the noise of some Christians while I was talking with someone about Christ and praying that the Christian would be quiet. A few years ago I led a Bible study in a church and was able after a long time to get a young man to come and I noticed that he brought a JW Bible when he came. When he came someone in the group proceeded to tell him all about how wrong his Bible was without ever getting to know him first. That young man never showed up again and seemed to distance himself from me. Many of the comments I have heard from non-Christians are right about some of the comments made by Christians. I can remember as a kid some of the comments made by my dad to me about Christians. Even to this day I have to agree with many of them. We must remember what is truly important. Their soul is at stake not other things so much.

If you are called to make a difference in speaking out then when was the last time you spoke out about the wrongs of Christians. If the world saw Christians speak out against wrongs such as financial issues and other wrongs I think they would have a lot more respect for Christians and what they stand for. Judgment begins in the house of God, not the world.

Jesus did not come to condemn the world but that the world would be saved through him.

Years ago my wife and I went to a church that reached many people. That church had become a lighthouse in the area. Every time I invited students and others I met to that church, I heard the same things. I had a student say to me, "I have never been to a church before but if that is what it is like, I like it." The student was in high school. I was the first in my family to become a Christian and most of my family and relatives are Christians today. I have prayed for most of them for a long time. One by one in many cases they have come to me to talk. It wasn't too long ago that a man talked to me about Christ and said that he had been to several churches but found most of them to be shallow. I listened to him for almost two hours. After listening I asked him, "Do you know what Jesus would have said?" He told me that he did not. Then I told him, "Jesus would agree with you." I have had a few opportunities with him since. Every week people come to me in private much like Nicodemus did with Jesus. Over the years I have had people come to me and ask how to become a Christian. Some of them I had not ever met before that time. I did not know it but they knew who I was and were watching.

People are watching what we do and how we live. They see us around our family and around others. Paul said to make it our ambition to lead a quiet life.

Let me give you some numbers. If you were 20 and lived to be 70 and discipled one person every two years and that person discipled one person every two years you will have reached 33,554,432 people who have been discipled and not just pew sitters.

There are two people I know who have a website at www.hismin.com and they respond to over 2000 emails each year. They quietly work helping people to know the truth and lead people out of Mormonism and into becoming Christians. They have met quite a number of those people. They lost about $1,000,000 because they were boycotted by the Mormon church when they became Christians. They were left owing about $100,000 once they sold all of their possessions. Most people do not know them but they are quietly giving out the gospel.

The man who got me into business had led hundreds to Christ and discipled hundreds. Thousands and thousands today are reaching others because he discipled those God gave him. When he died there were about 1200 at the service. The church could only hold about 620 people. People were outside and in the fellowship hall. Many of the leaders in the city came to the service. The lumber yard he did business was shut down during the service. His wife told me that she did not know a lot of the people there. For three hours, person after person stood to share about how they came to know Christ and were discipled by him. Often they went on to share about the impact he made in their life.

I was blessed to live in his home before I got married. I knew him to be a person that loved God, was bold, and prayed for people. I knew that many hours he was praying for people. He met with me at least once a week. We read the Bible and prayed. For 21 years we kept in contact with one anpther. He always asked me about how my prayer life and my Bible reading was.

If every older person would do that with young people think of the impact that would make on the U.S. and in our communities and society at large. Years ago I read a book and it talked about how people feared Lincoln because he prayed.

A few years ago I learned a powerful lesson from a couple whose home I was working on. After awhile I noticed that something unusual was happening. I was able to witness to almost everyone who worked on that particular job. That had never happened before. It was amazing how many times the workers would bring it up. What I realized is that the family who lived there just quietly served people and the workers who worked there. The workers would often coment about the family and particularly the wife who was a very godly lady. After the workers left we noticed that when we returned some work was done. We migh have left some things to be moved that we planned on moving later. When we showed up in the morning that was already done. some of that work was hard work. Her husband was the president of the local medical board. My wife worked in the hospital and told me what he was like and what others said about him. When he moved his business all of his workers went with him. He told me that if it were not for his workers he would have never moved. I knew that the doctor and his wife were were meeting with couples during the week. It is in the quietness of meeting with people and discipling them I believe is where the real work is done.

If we neglect disciplemaking then we neglect the basic and most important work God has called us to do outside of knowing Him.

A close friend of mine met with many people in a former communist country when it turned to communism. He showed me a picture once of him preaching and in the crowd were men with small machine guns. They were not allowed to say anything against the government and were not allowed to meet with more than four unrelated people in a home. Often there were infiltrators at their home meetings. Meeting places were kept secret and never discussed in any meeting. He told me that today there is far more freedom than here. He told me that if he goes to a school and asks to talk about Christ that they will close the classes and have an assembly just so he can talk about Christ. Imagine that in America! That never happened because someone spoke against the government openly in public. I believe it was because the Christians prayed and God worked and answered their prayers. Today there are pastors leading churches and people coming to Christ because of his life. There are leaders in high positions who became Christians through him tha he followed up on discipled.

#91 gb93433, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
  12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, I guess you don't know much about my ministry (btw, I know the ex-Mormon couple at Hismin.com). Part of what I do is reaching those lost in the New Age and occult, usually people who do not go to any church and many who hate church. My testimony has been published in numerous places and translated in other languages. The Lord has used that. And the Lord has used this ministry to bring people out of that darknes.

But this work does not keep me from speaking out against what I consider to be wrong: praying to false gods in a church built for Christ. How you see that as such a problem, I don't understand. I am not making speeches on it; I merely posted on it here.

I think you are talking to me without knowing me or what I am about or what I am doing.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would not agree with what you are doing at all. In fact I think it is great. What I see in so many churches today is a deception that is becoming more and more widespread. It is a well known fact that students in seminaries are coming in who know less and less about the Bible.

I am amazed at what I am hearing today from some of the leaders in denominations and conventions. Somebody needs to turn over the tables in some of the churches and oust some of the denominational and convention leaders who are misleading them.

14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

It is also sad and sickening that those who supported the most rabid abortionist ever to occupy the office of the president have the audacity to justify their vote for this person.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No doubt about it.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What are you doing to make a difference in that regard?