1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

White parents with daughters . . .

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by billwald, Apr 28, 2008.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

would any of you be real pleased if your teen aged daughter came home with an African American boyfriend? Curious because of the anti-Rev Wright posts. Are you white Baptists less racist than he is? Remember, you can go to Hell for lying. <G> I would not be pleased although the potential white boyfriend with the engineer boots didn't exactly cheer me. Not that I have anything against boots in the work place.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have amy children, but if my daughter came home with any guy, I would probably show him my gun collection. I'd also invite him to go shooting so he could see me tear out the heart and head of a silhouette.

Other than that, I'm not terribly concerned about the potential boyfriend/husband's ethnicity. I'm more concerned about their relationship with God and the content of their character.

3. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wouldn't be pleased with a lot of things, but race/ethnicity is way down my list of preferences.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean by Africian-Americian? Would that include a former citizen of South Africia who was naturalized in the US?, if not a US citizen, how long must he have been in the US before being consindered "Africian" - Americian ...?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This appears to imply a racism in those who disagree with Wrights racism. How are the two related?

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish this question had been ask in a broader and simpler context, i.e. "How would you feel if one of your children began dating a person of a different race?"

I would much rather any child of mine date a Christian of a different race than a non-Christian of my own race.

How 'bout y'all?

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does this thread and either your question or Bill's fit in the political section?

8. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I'd be surprised, as there aren't many African Americans round here. :laugh:
    Whether I would be pleased or not would depend on all sorts of things, but not ethnic origin.

9. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not concerned about the political aspect of the statement. To me to dwell on that is a red herring. The real question is what would your attitude be if one of your children began dating a person of another race? What would your reaction be?

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is in the political section.

11. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Crabtownboy, I have found some common ground here. I have a daughter and she is dating. It is not an easy thing to let your daughter go out with anyone. What I see and want for my daughter is that God would send someone that would honor and cherish her for life. That that young man give himself for her just as Christ gave Himself for the Church. How God answers that prayer is in His hands. I will not presume to say to God, "Now you send her a WASP and we both will be happy."

My prayer has been made and Christ will work it out.

Mel

12. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for such an honest answer. I really appreciate it. Yes, it is always with fear and trembling .... at least I believe so .... for any father when a daughter begins dating.

13. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's cut to the quick Rev. How would you feel if one of your son's or daughers began dating a person of another race?

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My nephew married a black woman. I have no problem with it. His parents have no problem with it. My elderly mother who was still alive at that time didn't have a problem with it.

15. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I don't agree with you often, but I'm 100% with you on this one.

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Miracles still happen. :laugh:

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Cutting to the quick would be answering my original question.

18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I expected you to avoid telling us what your feelings would be if a son or daughter began dating a person from another race. Now let me guess what your reaction would be ... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    :laugh:

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This doesn't surprise me about you.

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

I agree.

Interracial dating/relationships is not a Biblical or sin issue.

Are there practical considerations? Sure...(if things get serious): What if family don't accept the spouse? What about children, and dealing with the inevitable questions/issues there? (Although that one is going away as we gradually see more and more of this). But those are individual considerations, and do not deal with right or wrong.

But being frank: when people are adamantly opposed to inter-racial relationships, I suspect racism as being the culprit. To imply God is against it is a horrible misuse of Scripture.