1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

White parents with daughters . . .

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by billwald, Apr 28, 2008.

1. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

You probably know RevMitchell better than I do. I didn't take his message as "avoiding tactics", just as wondering why a thread about dating is in the "Politics" forum. Nobody seems to have answered his question either. We are going to end up with a stalemate. :)

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Not only that, but how in the world is interracial dating connected to the recent posts about Wright? They are not even loosely related. The op is incorrect and the thread was inappropriately placed in the political section.

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I knew that I would not be able to stay in agreement, Crabby. This is out and out baiting. RevMitchell has every right to question this thread's validity in this board for politics. He is known for posts in News and Current Events and Politics. For you to try to corner him is quite disingenuous. No doubt a mod will soon move it. Now stop your baiting.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Sorry, the cold print on the cool screen does not carry inflection, and thus meaning well. Was trying to inject just a bit of levity.

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Re the OP: ethnic origin would be utterly irrelevant. Like the British Prime Minister, Lord Liverpool (PM 1812-1827), I have Anglo-Indian mixed race ancestry from that same era and I am a genetic mongrel; if anything I would be happy to see my daughter likewise widen our gene pool, provided her hubby was a good, kindly man walking with Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Obviously the thread would be moved. So given that, shouldn't we expect RM might want to give a reply?

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

If he was a godly young man who walked close the Lord?

No problem

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have a daughter, and if her boyfriend was a child of the King, I'd have no problem. If he's a child of the streets...then we have problems.

My sister dated a black man who was involved in occultic things. She was a believer and got messed up with that garbage. They are both dead, died together at age 25 from carbon monoxide.

It's not the packaging that matters...it's the contents. It might be a "cultural suprise" so to speak if she brought a black man home, but if he were a Christian, any cultural differences would quickly melt away. If he came in with his pants sagging down to his knees listening to gangsta rap, living the "thug life", I'd have MAJOR issues with her dating him.

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

MAJOR issues indeed.:thumbs:

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Sorry for your loss...but, regarding your sister, I must commend you on seeing past skin color and understanding it was a heart issue.

Again, sorry for your loss.

11. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

I would be very suspicious.

See, Race schmace; there is no difference in how I view a man. However, for my daughter's sake, I want her to be careful about crossing a cultural line in marriage. She would have challenges that I couldn't help her overcome. And 99% of the time, there is a large cultural gap between black and white people.The cross culture is what children need to be cautious of.

BTW, often, I think the reaction of the cultural disparity is mistaken for racism. Most white suburban middle class people that I know who would not appreciate sitting next to an unkept, rap-music-listening, pants hanging low, rude-speaking black man would also have no problem sitting by a shirt-tucked in, polite black man. It has nothing to do with skin, but behavior. Unfortunately, stereotypes are just that for a reason, and just a few of the ruder sort from any social grouping can ruin the reputation of the polite in that social grouping.

#31 Rubato 1, Apr 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2008
  12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

How far would you carry that "cultural disparity." Would it be wrong for my American sons to marry an Irish Christian girl?

13. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Note: I edited my comments as you were posting.

But to answer, I am not saying it is 'wrong' to marry cross culturally, just that we should be careful, as that opens up many new challenges in the marriage and family, as the wife has one set of ideas and the husband has potentially a completely different set!

I know weveral missionary families that successfully married cross-culrturally, and though they had different challenges, but being in God's will, overcame them just fine.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have myself dated a black gal just after high school when I moved to Houston. While I was stationed in Santa Anna I dated an asian gal. Quite frankly I am sick to death of the segregation I see. Especially in churches. Problem is it is not just a result of white folks segregating. IN this area od Florida no one wants to integrate. None of the races and all the churches are largely segregated.

Niether do I teach my children to segregate under any circumstances to include marriage.

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

If he was an "on fire for God" Black man, who would treat her good and take care of her, I would be absolutely thrilled! Other than the fact that I do not particularly believe in "dating".

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I haven't read all of the responses (just the first page) but honestly, if a boy can get to my girls through my husband, more power to him no matter WHAT ethnicity he is! I don't care if he's black, yellow, red or green - as long as he loves the Lord with all his heart, loves my daughter with all his heart and will take care of her as Christ has directed. We have friends of all races so this is a definite possibility, honestly.

17. billwald

billwald New Member

By "African-American" I meant anyone who claims to be an African American, which has become self-designated in many cases, representing a culture more than skin color.

Yes, there are long term implications - for the kids and grandkids. They would have a tougher row to hoe. I would not mind my kids marrying a Korean, Japanese, Chinese . . . person because those cultures have a higher standard with respect to education and work ethic than do most white Americans.

Yes, I have known Africans who are smarter, harder working, and more moral than I am. They are the top 10% of their bell curve, whatever the reason may be.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wow...you would have fit in well with some in Germany in the 1930's. Judge people based on their ethnicity.....sad.

19. trustitl

trustitl New Member

I would like to know how crabtownboy would feel if his daughter came home with revmitchells son?:laugh:

20. trustitl

trustitl New Member

How would I feel if my daughter came home with a black boyfriend? The same way I would feel if she came home with a white one: like I had failed.

Say what?

If my daughter came home with a boyfriend that I did not know about I would know that I did not have my daughter's heart for all these years. I am trying to help her see that God has ordained me as her source of training and protection. It is my hope that we will be open enough with each other that she will trust me with the big decisions that face her. I cannot fathom my 16 year old going out and buying a car that she will drive for a few years. How much more a man she will spend her life with!

By the way, I have 5 daughters ages 14,13,12,11, and 6. If you want, check in with me in few years. Until then :praying: !