1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

White parents with daughters . . .

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by billwald, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent question. :laugh: If he is a Christian who respects women and treats them well it would be fine. If he is a christian [note little "c"] who does not respect women, who expects them to be his doormat and jump to their every whim I would be unhappy.

This would be true of any boy she dated regardless of who the father. So, no I am not picking on RM here.

2. Romten9

Romten9 New Member

Well, honestly, if he held the same views as Wright, I would not be pleased!

All I care about, is if the man loves the Lord, loves my daughter, is clean and sober, has a good job, and can take care of my daughter and their future children. I do not care what race he is. Not in the least.

3. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

I think anyone who had a major problem, would have issues with race.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why would you say that? If it's attitude or personality...it has nothing to do with race. This goes for any race.

5. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

I meant, if they had problems based ONLY on race. For e.g., if you have a black person who you would like and accept if they were white; but because they are black you don't want them in your family, purely because of race.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

When the Seattle School District started to desegregated around 1970 the city was 12% minority, lost 100,000 people and and the school district was cut in half. I suspect some who moved out were Bible believing Baptists.

Couple of years ago the city and the school district got back to the pre-deseg population but school district is over 40% minority and half the children in Seattle do not attend public school. Only US city with fewer children per capata is San Francisco.

The highways are packed, houses are still selling, unemployment is low, but the Northshore School District wants to close an elementary school. They claim it is because of aging demographics. Doesn't compute.

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE

If I said, Yes, I would be upset and very cross, would you brand me a racist?

If you came with the same question, but said, a Chinese, or an Indian, and I would answer, I' would be upset and very cross, would you still brand me a racist?

If you came with the same question, but said, an Englishman, or a Frenchman, and I would answer, I'm a Boer, and would be upset and very cross, would you still brand me a racist?

I think your question smacks of hypocrisy.

8. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

On the contrary, I am very entertained...

9. queenbee

queenbee Member

Interesting how times have changed. I did in fact date a black man 40 years ago.
    Even though we were both from Christian families & both of us had strong-willed Baptist mothers, I can still recall how worried my folks were that "Bob" and I were seriously contemplating marriage. In fact, it was my mother who warned me away from marrying 'out of my race' - far too many problems, too much discrimination, etc. It was a sign of the times. I admit this did have an impact on my thinking - it turned out, there were just too many issues between us a couple, let alone getting married and we both moved on. I don't think that same type of pressue is around today. I look at my multicultured society around me (including my church) and many marriages are thriving and are a wonderful mix of cultures and values.
    I don't have the same problem my folks did. If my sons were to introduce me to a young woman from another race, I would expect them to treat her as I have treated them - with dignity, respect and love.

#49 queenbee, May 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2008
  10. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Treat my daughter with utmost respect. I own a whole arsenal of weaponry, a back hoe, and 142 acres out back.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

That's so nice of you to recognize achievement. And may I also add,

"That's mighty white of you!"

Ed

#51 EdSutton, May 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2008
  12. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Allow me to throw another "curve" into the discussion. There is a lot of talk about "culture" as opposed to "race," and for the most part I agree with what's been said. However, what about a black child that has been raised by a white family? I know of a fine Christian young lady who is black and has been raised by her white pastor and his family. She has no cultural differences that I am aware of.

We have a young black man who attends our Bible college. He was predominantly raised around white people as well. He readily admits that he feels "uncomfortable" around the stereotypical black person. We have dozens of black children and teenagers that ride our buses to church. He has mentioned on several occasions that he just can't relate to them.

We have a white couple in our church who adopted an American Indian infant. She is now 4 years old. She has been and will be raised in a totally white American cultural setting.

Who are these people to marry? If they marry according to race, won't they be crossing that cultural line?

13. Samuel Owen

Samuel Owen New Member

I can agree, Culture has a bigger beaing on this issue than race. I speak not as one standing on the sidelines, but one who is in the middle of the game.

I have two black grand-sons, and a grand-daughter, each I love as I loved my own children. But as Pastor Bob said above, they have a hard time relating to their own race, as most of their own race, has a problem relating to them. Their dad seems to be very put out with them, and sometimes to the point of physical abuse because of this.

As a result of this, they are very mixed up little folks, who don't seem to know where they belong. The outcome of mixed marriages in not the marriage, but it by-products in children, who are not sure who they are.

I guess the only way to look at this situation, or to compare it would be. Like if my neighbor pulled his barbecue, over in my back yard to do his cooking. Now not that I would hate him for it, nor would I move because of it. But I would strongly feel, he should stay in his backyard to do his cooking. Especially since his own backyard is just as big as mine, and no less attractive.

#53 Samuel Owen, May 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

They don't know who they are???

They are human beings, like any other humans. There is no such thing as a "mixed marriage" among human beings.

I do appreciate some of the cultural issues. After nearly 15 years I think my American sons might have an easier time marrying Irish girls than Americans.

Oh wait - they should keep their barbecues in their own gardens and only married Americans.

15. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Amen!:thumbs: I have Anthropology textbooks at home with articles about "Race." The funny thing is that no one is able to come up with a characteristic, other than skin color, that can be used across the board to distinguish between the "races." The problem is that these secular scientists find this data, or lack thereof, and can't explain why their studies turn out with the results they obtain because they approach their work from a Darwinian Evolutionist's prospective. When you approach the outcome of their studies from a Christian Creationist prospective the answer is easy and clear. There is only one race, the Human Race, designed and created by God. In either case, as the Anthropologists correctly point out, the real question to ask when someone starts trying to come up with a scheme to divide up the "races," is why are they seeking such division?

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is only one race: The Adamic race.
    But there are many ethnic origins.
    There is nothing wrong to find out out where I came from, the origin of my "ethnicity," or who my parents and ancestors were. I am a Canadian with an Irish last name, but I have five other "nationalities" included in my genealogy. We all come from just one race--Adam's.

17. Samuel Owen

Samuel Owen New Member

I would be extremely careful about what anthropology says, don't forget these are the people who think you are a Monkey.

There are social, and cultural differences that extend far beyond the color of someone's skin. Skin color has nothing to do with it really. Some people have less trouble than others crossing barriers. But children are very cruel to one another, and have a real problem crossing it.

I have known some really good black people, and some not so good. As I have also found among those of us, who are white. If you get out and talk with some knowledgeable black folks, you will find they have the same answers to the question as I have given.

18. billwald

billwald New Member

The problem will be resolved in a couple of generations. The current batch of young people have thrown out all the old cultural norms. On what basis will they marry? I predict on the basis of intelligence, education, and ambition. In other words, we will self segregate into a ruling caste and a worker caste.

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question, as asked, is open to interpretation.
    a)But I assume what you are getting at is: if your daughter comes home with a boyfriend you have not met, and there is no apparent reason to evaluate him negatively, would the fact that he is African be a mark against him anyway, and for that reason only?

b) The other main interpretation is: if your daughter comes home with a boyfriend you have not met, would you be more pleased if he were African American than if he were not?

Assuming we can eliminate the "came home with" part as being the reason for you being pleased or displeased, is it (a) that is the correct understanding of the question? I just want to be sure before I attempt an honest answer.

20. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In England - elsewhere in Europe - in the Islands of the Carribean in many African countries - that cultural division between "who is black" and "who is not" does not stand out to the point that someone says "I can not relate" -- on either side.

America seems a bit unique.

in Christ,

Bob