1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

White Sox vs Astros ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Oct 20, 2005.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

So now we have the World Series matchup...the White Sox vs. the Astros.

Lets anyalize the series a little...

Who has the advantage?

Starting pitching?

Bullpen?

Hitting?

Fielding?

Bench?

Manager?

Intangibles?

What is your prediction?

2. PastorSBC1303

I will start us off...

Starting pitching: Astros. Both teams have great staffs. But I have to give the advantage to the Astros with the experience of Clemens and Pettite.

Bullpen: Astros. The White Sox guys did not hardly get in the games vs. the Angels. And the Whites Sox bullpen has been shuffled a lot during the season with some inexperience too.

Hitting: White Sox. The White Sox have power guys, have speed guys, and have gotten a lot of clutch hitting throughout the season.

Fielding: Even. Both teams are good in the field.

Bench: Astros. Garner seems to utlitize his guys coming off the bench better and is not afraid of throwing a guy out there based on a gut feeling.

Manager: Even. Both guys have managed well this year and are not afraid of making the tough or the controversial decision.

Intangilbles: Astros. Their first ever World Series appearance plus the experience of Clemens and Pettite gives them the edge. Not to mention the heart and determination of guys like Biggio and Bagwell.

Prediction: Astros in 7. I think this is going to be a great series and could very well go either way. But I think the difference will come in the form of Roger Clemens and Andy Pettite. Their experience and determination will put the Astros over the top.

3. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I agree with PastorSBC, except on the manager. I think Ozie is a nut, and will be the cause of the sox losing. Astros in 7 as well - hope it is a great series

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I give a slight nod to the White Sox. Their starters were brilliant during the ALCS. The Angels offense isn't quite the BoSox or Yankees, but the ChiSox still shut them down.

The White Sox bullpens wasn't need because the starters were outstanding (see above). With that much rest, the bullpen could be rusty, or they could be totally overpowering. My question is whether Lidge is bothered by Pujols moonshot and has 2 days to brood over it or not. If he had pitched last night, I don't think this is a question, but since he didn't, it is a question. It's why I give the Sox a slight edge in the bullpen.

I agree with both of these.

I think both of these are even, though I question why Garner didn't bring in Lidge last night in a 4 run game. But, both managers are making the right moves, which includes when not to make a move. Pretty even.

I believe the experience of Clemens and Pettite is irrelevant. While they have both been very good in the past, they've both gotten rocked in the playoffs too. I think both teams are gritty and scrappy, which should make this a good series.

I think the Sox are just as determined and the experience question has been a 50-50 proposition at best in the past. The Sox have the home field advantage, which is a slight edge, but when the teams appear to be this even, a slight edge becomes bigger than usual. I like the Sox in 7.

5. Convicted by the Spirit

So now we have the World Series matchup...the White Sox vs. the Astros.

Lets anyalize the series a little...

Who has the advantage? Whitesox ... homefield that is

Starting pitching? Astros, the greatest pitcher probably ever, the hotest pitcher since the break and a back to back 20 game winner who just so happened shut the cards down in back to back games at Bucsh.

Bullpen? We will never see the sox bullpen so I will say the Astros

Hitting? White Sox ... astros have been hurt all year by failure to produce runs for Roger.

Fielding? White Sox ... a better than average fielding team.

Bench? I am going with the Astros here and I have seen them all year ... I live in houston.

Manager? Because of experience Phil Garner

Intangibles? Both teams are thriving right now and both teams want to win very very badly. Smells like a 7 game series.

What is your prediction? Astros in 7

6. Convicted by the Spirit

ccrobinson,

I noticed your pick the sox in 7 and I also noticed you are from Illinois. Nothing like picking the home team only problem is Astros are going to win it this year. Oswalt shut down one of the best hitting teams in baseball 2 games in a row on their own ground. What are the whitesox going to do when they get into the loudest stadium in the big leagues?

I wondered my self why Garner did not bring in Lidge last night perfect opp for him to gain some confidance back, but then what if he is tired and leaves a pitch over the plate then boom!

Jimmyc,

Ozzie may be a nut but they nearly won 99 games this year and have made nice work of the Redsox and Angels. they could not have done that without good leadership. Ozzie will deservingly be the manager of the year.

7. PastorSBC1303

Wait a minute here....

You are from Houston and you picked the Astros! [​IMG]

What is the difference? :confused:

8. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go White Sox!
    I know the feeling of never having won (or in their case, having been IN) a World Series!

Besides, that other team could've been us!

Baseball fan in Philly

9. Convicted by the Spirit

Debby if the Astro's win then it makes the Philly's look better. It shows how good second place was in the wild card race. [​IMG] cheers

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

You're from Houston and you picked the Astros? Would you please remind me who the homer is supposed to be? ;)

Like most people who aren't ChiSox fans, (and I hope that both ChiSox fans in Chicago are loving this postseason :eek: :D ), I figured they would choke in September. They not only held on to win their division, they swept the hottest team in baseball at the time, the Indians, right out of the playoffs. Here's the thing that was so impressive about that series.

Chicago didn't need to win so much as a game of that series, but the Indians were desperate to win. Chicago swept the Indians AT Cleveland. That, my dear deluded Astros friend, was impressive. [​IMG]

I only wish I had gotten on board the ChiSox bandwagon earlier, because they've done nothing but impress throughout the playoffs. I picked by system to start the playoffs and my system failed miserably. Now, I'm using my self-proclaimed, self-styled, so-called "expert" analysis to pick the Sox. ;) :D

Minutemaid Park is intimidating? Albert Pujols didn't think it was that intimidating in the top of the 9th in Game 5, did he? :D

Here's intimidation for you.

In Game 3 of the ALDS, the Boston Red Sox had the bases loaded with nobody out. The fans, who are practically on top of the field anyway, were going nuts. Did the White Sox pee their pants and fold up like a cheap card table? Nope, they sent El Duque out there and he shut them down. Don't even try to tell me that Minutemaid Park is more intimidating than that situation was at Fenway.

Nothing like picking the home team to win when you're from Houston, eh? I don't think you get to call me a homer because I'm from Illinois and picked the White Sox to win. [​IMG]

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it will be a good competitive series in each game unless a team's starting pitcher just doesn't have it in a particular game.

I hope the Astros win.

12. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Nothing wrong with being a homer - I would imagine that most of us are! The great thing about sports is that the game is decided on the field - and we can argue about the games all the way through!

GO STROS! (yep I'm a homer - but I also lived for a few years in Chicago go go sox??)

13. PastorSBC1303

Nothing wrong at all with being a homer.

But there is a problem when a person calls out someone as being a homer when they did the same thing [​IMG] [​IMG]

But oh well....on to the baseball games! ! !

14. PastorSBC1303

I am not sure which team I should be a homer for...

One year in little league I played on the White Sox.

Then for two years I played on the Astros.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Guess I will have to go with the Astros! [​IMG]

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three things about Illinois that I never liked - Abe Lincoln, Chicago, and Adlai Stevenson. Always enjoyed a good laugh at the expense of da Bears or the poor Cubbies.

But I think the Sox are the real thing. Class act with such domination (look at the two series just concluded - wow! defeated Boston, 3-0, in ALDS; defeated LA Angels, 4-1, in ALCS) that I think they will overpower Houston.

They MAY lose a game. Or maybe two.

I'd LIKE to go out saying Chicago in 5 but caution grabs hold, so will say the Sox in Six.

You can take that one to the bank 'cause you read it on the internet and here EVERYTHING is true. :eek: :eek:

16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Be bold, Dr. Bob! Pick 'em in 5! [​IMG]

Take our governor... please! (ba-bump-bump)

I can't stand to watch the Bears because I always wind up yelling at the TV.

If Ditka were managing the White Sox, they would sweep the World Series by a combined score of 100 to 3. ;)

The only thing that sustains Bear fans is when the Packers, Vikings and Liedowns lose. I'm hoping the Liedowns keep Matt Millen as GM for a good long time. ;) [​IMG]

17. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

The sports radio station I listen to has a segment once a week called "homer call of the week" - espn has since ripped it off by the way. It is one of the funniest segments that I have ever heard on radio. the hosts cull through radio and tv broadcasts from all over the country for the weekly candidates, vote on them and get a weekly winner. At the end of the football season they have a homer call playoff.

A couple weeks ago, after smu beat UAB on a long pass on the last play of the game - to win the game - the announcers just screamed like little kids for about 5 min.

18. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Chicago White Sox is 2-0 against the Houston Astros. What is happening? [​IMG]

19. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Better Pitching - timely hitting - great D - did you see those plays the 3rd baseman made on saturday night!

Houston is in trouble - looks like the Rocket will not be back. Houston must sweep at home.

20. PastorSBC1303

I think Houston might be in trouble as well. They have to win the next 2 games and get some momentum. The Sox have looked outstanding so far.