1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who are the Arminians?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mandym, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

I think they are fine IF you want to live and explain the faith by them, its just that they CANNOT produce growth as Bible does, as the HS works through bible, not them!

See them more like a staement of beliefs, intro to theology primers etc!

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Let's be careful here. It sounds really spiritual to say that all we need are the scriptures and Holy Spirit illumination for spiritual growth.

If one carries that argument to its logical extension, then you must advocate that we close down this board, because everything we write involves expressing our opinions.

Then we shutdown all the publishing houses, including those which supply material to Sunday School teachers, because we don't need their stuff any more. It's just opinion. Of course, we won't need teachers, because anybody can stand there and read scripture. But spiritually-gifted teachers are specifically called for in the scriptures.

Next, we can do away with our preachers, since anybody can stand in the pulpit and read the scriptures. We can do that, sing a hymn or two, pray some, take up the offering and go home. Don't need preaching. But wait a minute. The scriptures specifically say we need pastors and teachers for the edifying of the church.

Wait a minute. We won't need hymns and gospel songs either, because those are just somebody's opinion.

I guess we'll have to close down all the Christian book stores, or at least everything except the Bible shelves, because everything else is just opinion.

I'm going to give you a scripture verse: 2 Thessalonians 2:7
    In modern English, the word "let" means to allow. But in King James English, it means exactly the opposite--to restrain, hold back.

How do I know that?. Would the Holy Spirit guide me to the right rendering? Possibly, by placing me under a teacher or preacher, or a linguist, who would explain it to me. But it's highly doubtful that He would place it directly in your mind.

Remember when Philip explained Isaiah 53 to the Ethiopian eunuch? The eunuch didn't understand what he was reading. So the Holy Spirit sent Philip to explain it.

What if the eunuch had told Philip, "well, that's just your opinion."

Well, I think I've made my point, and invite you to respond with your thoughts.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've just negated every sermon ever preached, set aside the gifts of prophecy and teaching, and rendered needless pastors and teachers. If you are as loyal to the Scriptures as you boast, you will quickly see the self-contradiction in your position.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IE.... Your throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Who loves ya baby!

#64 Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey...I see a new portrait.....Isnt the beard a little hot during the summer? I prefer the Kojak look.

Who loves ya baby!

#65 Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 15, 2011
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes but how do you know its the HS....maybe its the devil talking to you? So then what do you compare it to?:smilewinkgrin:

Who loves ya baby!

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Excellent replies, Amy :thumbs:

The irony is that some who call themselves calvinists are are also non-cal's as they attribute sin to God, something even calvinism does not.

...and I do not believe DHK or Skandelon believe they can lose their salvation, so they are not arminians as was stated early on.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The question is what or who causes spiritual growth. Only God can grow my spirit. I never said teachers aren't beneficial to the body of Christ. My disagreement is with saying that creeds cause spiritual growth. If you all will go back and read my posts, my disagreement started with Iconoclast saying that creeds produce spiritual growth. Please stop accusing me of saying things I didn't say.

The bible is the supreme authority on ALL things spiritual. Every word spoken by man must be compared to scripture to know if it is accurate. That is what I am trying to say.

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What? Are you saying the devil speaks to spirit filled Christians through God's word? :confused:

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This reply kind of throws a wrench in luke and iconoclast's declarations...

11. JesusFan

it will ALWAYS be same answer...

The Word of God!

God has promised to every Christian availability of the Illumination of HS to allow them to understand the bible and its teachings...

Not so anything else!

12. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A nation and ethnic group native to the Caucasus and the Armenian Highland?

13. JesusFan

Well..

Think that the creeds/confessions/other Christian Books etc are ALL useful IF they follow and adhere to sound Christian doctrine

Also think that all of these things are useful to help us grow in Christ

Also think that at times some p[ost the creeds so much to answer posts that it makes them seem more than the Bible!

JUST saying that ONLY inspired and FULLY authoratative source of the revelation from/of God is the Holy Spirit!

THAT is the one source HS will bring illumination to us from!

#73 JesusFan, Jul 15, 2011
  14. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I read that Arminius believed that technically speaking, one could lose salvation, but he couldn't say how.

But I think his predecessors did.

Maybe we need to read up on Arminius. Remember, a lot of Arminians consider themselves a part of the Reformed tradition.

15. JesusFan

Thnk he held that once saved, God would keep you, but that you could leave the faith IF you chose to, as God honors your free will!

16. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

lol...ah yes, let's find these people out and line them up for their theological "comeuppance." ;)

To state, again, the obvious...you all do know there are far more than just two theological options out there...

17. JesusFan

I Know of Arm/Cal/Lutheryn/Roman Catholic

Any one else?

18. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a little different angle. The beard's a little warm, but the horns are cool! :cool:

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Noted their plural:thumbs::smilewinkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.