1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who are the Arminians?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mandym, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen. No idea why the bb allows this to take place. Certainly this is "not showing grace to other members"...a violation.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbs:

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JF,
    here is a hint....the confession lists verses on every point....the verses are the key thing that you are meant to read.see if it matches the explanation.

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jf,
    this is spoken of here in point 6 of the confession;
    perhaps you missed this when you read it before.....or did you avert your eyes from this doctrine of men?

6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

The confessions are still interpretations of scriptures meaning and intent.

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey,Webdog.....looks like you and Robert Snow are doing the heavy lifting on this thread. I guess the topic of the thread has drawn you and robert like a moth to the flame......of course you two are pristine innocent posters....everyone else is doing something wrong
    I do not think I have seen any robert snow post where he does anything positive, just keeps ripping down calvinism in his mind. I suppose we could say he shows love to the "brethren" by warning them of the evil calvinism...that most of the historic church has believed and most of the confessions hold to.
    The problem is...what if calvinism is exactly what the bible teaches and all who oppose it are opposing the truth of God. { I use the if for the benefit of those who are not certain....so this thread does not get derailed,like the other one}
    So when the calvinists gives scripture or opinion that is forbidden and should be censored in your view......you report more than Lois Lane did to Perry White. I think I understand.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. Helpful? Can be. Inspired? Can be. One confession many turn to in support of augustine?s original sin is the Westminster. This same confession claims biblical truth in the need for infants to be baptized. Was that inspired? Hardly.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quantum,
    Yes they are . But anytime a christian opens there mouth or writes something that also is opinion and interpretation!
    Doctrine is given to bring about unity of the faith....Amy G asked where?

10. preacher4truth

:thumbsup:

I've never seen more hypocrisy than his coming along rebuking others "not showing grace" for which he is quite notorious for himself on the BB. Rarely if ever have I seen any grace come from him. I got a good chuckle seeing him pat himself on the back as if he is some innocent bystander.

You're also correct concerning Robert Snow. I've never seen this from him either, of course now of late I skip his posts, so if there has been a change I've not noticed. Typically, there is nothing but negativity and mocking from him. He walks disorderly imo. I don't see much grace in his behavior. Maybe a good walk with God would help them both.

#110 preacher4truth, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
  11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    WEbdog...that is exactly the point.....if you believe in infant head sprinkling go with the 1644...at least there would be unity!

Some who say no confession, no creed...have one anyway. I bet no one is welcome to light candles in your local assembly and start chanting hare krisna chants.....you have some basis derived from scripture that you can appeal to.

baptists have used several confessions .....if a person cannot agree to some standard....there can be no unity...just look here for proof of that.
    Everyone says they believe the bible.......

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Unworthy of a response. Next...

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Exactly. Taught by HIM.

Yes, it is the Spirit working that causes growth. God certainly uses teachers, but it is God that causes the growth.

I am not rebelling against God nor despising teachers of the faith. But they are merely a vehicle God uses, not a replacement for the Holy Spirit.

14. preacher4truth

Truth warrants a response from you typically. Generally a fight against it is the norm, Icon has spoken the truth. Why not now?

#114 preacher4truth, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
  15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    AMYG
    ok...it is good that you are not rebelling against truth.....but let me ask you a question.....when I posted from the 1689...on the holy scriptures....did you see anything in it that works against the Spirit? or do they attempt to layout the truth of scripture on these matters?
    Why not give it a good read...looking up the verses offered....

I can tell you I do not agree with every single point.....but that is my right before God. I do not have to believe the confession if I think it does not reflect the scriptural teaching....
    give it a read...let me know if you think it is a very helpful tool...or just man made and foolish.
    http://www.vor.org/truth/1689/1689bc00.html:thumbs:

16. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some of us are just trying to speak to the OP. And I just want to go on record that I have not labeled any PERSON on BB an anything, but tried to identify doctrines that are associated with Arminianism and Pelegianism, except that I mentioned Drfruss because I believe he openly identifies himself as an Arminian.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where have I ever remotely alluded to the fact there are no standards to be agreed on? You have stated yourself you do not agree to everything in the 1689...so what point are you making?

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There have been at least a half dozen or so who have identified themselves as Arminian just as John Wesley did. I can't remember them all.These are just a few.

Pipedude who hasn't posted anything for a long time.
    StefanM who goes along with four Arminian points.
    Skandelon who sides with the Arminians.

19. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ah yes, Pipedude. I remember now that you mention him - I may be confusing Drfruss with Pipedude.

20. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

1. I generally accept this "label" as simply in reference to rejecting the premise of Calvinism which teaches that God has pre-selected a certain number of people who He will irresistibly save while leaving the rest in their hopeless condition.

2. Though I'll concede that 'Arminianism' today is generally understood as rejecting the concept of "once saved always saved," it should be noted that Jacobus Arminius himself didn't necessarily believe this. He only acknowledged the difficulty of some passages which seemed to suggest the loss of something once possessed. He never took a hard stance on the issue.

3. If you've never read Arminius' works for yourself, I highly recommend it. He sounds like many Calvinistic preachers today. He greatly emphasizes the glory, sovereignty and greatness of our God, while clearly rejecting easy believism, peligianism, and other false teachings. He is much closer to Calvinism than most people realize.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.