1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who Are You following?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by th1bill, Feb 24, 2011.

1. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Sa 26:23 And Jehovah will render to every man his righteousness and his faithfulness; forasmuch as Jehovah delivered thee into my hand to-day, and I would not put forth my hand against Jehovah's anointed.

As we are speeding toward the Day of the LORD people are refusing to resist temptation and to hold themselves separated to live a holy life in service to our LORD. The problem is a many faceted and a very complex matter with a very simple solution. As we live our lives we look at the people around us and we seek to blend in, to look and to sound, more like them! All in God's face and for our convenience.

A young lady on a forum was recently distressed because she thought she needed to be in a Christian School because of circumstance. She is a Baptist and attends high school at the local independent school district. She has attempted to follow the Word of God and to seek out others of like faith to hang with. She has found others naming the name of Christ and she has found others that are called Baptist. They dress in the manor of the world, drink alcohol and thrive on the music of the world and cuss, just like the music they prefer.

Some of the responses to her cry for help were to ask her to describe exactly what it is that she is unable to adjust her attitude to and perhaps they could help her then. They, themselves, appear to have already compromised to the point that they are not separated from the world. In the past, I have been told that not everyone can live a holy life like “I” do! That is a sad statement! I am not a man without sin! I must repent daily and crawl back the my LORD on my hands and knees because I have sinned. In Romans 12:1,2 we find that we are to live our lives resisting temptation in the same manor that David did, no less than twice, in the matter of King Saul.

Saul had already attempted to pin David to the wall with his spear, no less than three times as David played the Harp to sooth the King's nerves and to quiet the Demon in him. Saul had already murdered a Priest and all but one of his family for allowing David five loaves of bread and a sword, the same sword David had removed from Goliath when he killed him in battle. Johnathon, the son of Saul, and David had tested Saul and had proven that there was no good in the heart of the King for David and even though it made perfect sense to cut Saul down when he was asleep, David would not touch God's anointed to save his own life because it would be a sin against God.

If any person needs to be told that dresses, skirts and shorts that bare the lower cheeks are offensive to God, someone is not studying to know God and is rooted much to deeply in the worlds life-style. A large portion of the reason we can hear filth spoken of women today is because of their compromise to look sexy. The filthy mouths of commentators and ?musicians? And the worlds acceptance of this filth, is in part due to the filthy appearance of young women today. Yes! You can make the argument that the reverse is true and that the music and the comments are the reflection of filthy young women but to argue that point is akin to the stupid argument about Adam's and Eve's belly buttons.

The single point is this, you can choose to follow God and for your effort spend eternity, fellowshipping with God and the rest of the saved or you can compromise with the world and spend eternity, alone, in Hell.

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And how were the "rest of the saved" that you will spend eternity with, saved ? Was it through the work of Christ ? Or was it through their own obedience and works ? That is what your single point is saying.

Is the cross a future thing ? Is the blood of Christ yet unspilled ?

3. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

In John 19 Jesus said
    Joh 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost. What was finished? The plan of salvation was finished right on the cross!

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

How are we speeding toward the Day of the Lord? We are going towards it at the same rate as all our ancestors did.

What people? For example, the members of the local church I serve in live very moral lives, and do so in the power of the Holy Spirit without the church bugging them about the latest sin to put at the top of the totum pole.

How is immitating the world for our convenience? It seems to me that would be a dangerous course for a child of the Lord. I do not know any Christians that are in God's face. The lost are not in His face, they just do not care one way or another.

How does the world dress? Everyone at our church dresses modestly. No, we do not wear Amish costumes, for I have never figured out how wearing clothes from the 1870's is serving the Lord.
    You sure seemed bothered by dress of people especially women. Do you have a problem with lust?

Would you please explain to me how doing this or that you mentioned in your post sends someone to hell? There is only one thing that sends someone to hell, and that is dying without Jesus and His forgiveness. You seem to equate works with salvation. A Christian should not do the things you mentioned, but a clean cut person who never cussed or looked at a woman can be without Jesus and take a one way ride to hell. What are you trying to get across?

#4 saturneptune, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2011
  5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe Bill is getting at the idea of once God works in a person and saves them from their sins....they are called to obey the commands of God and to seperate from the world system.
    Many churches attempt to do this in the strength of the flesh with a man made list of do this,and do not do that.They bring the people into a legalistic bondage to an outward comformity to these man made rules.

That being said.....there is a legitimate use of the Law of God and the scripture as a whole to give guidelines how to diligently follow after holiness and godliness in the life ,that affects the whole person and adorns the doctrine of Christ.

I am thinking Bill was pointing this out. Is that right Bill, or did you mean something else?

6. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have given a very good example of bad citizenship with your demonstration of putting false statements into the mouth of a person that you know, next to nothing about.

7. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And thank you Jesus for your finished work!

8. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You got it the first time, that happens when we put our flesh aside and push our pride out of the way. Thanks!

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This topic is vital in the christian life.There is some amount of confusion that takes place because to get a handle on it,I believe we need to look through the whole of scripture and see the big picture so to speak.
    God used the nation of Israel in the OT for many purposes.
    One of those purposes was to show to the nations how sinners could live a godly life and bring forth fruit unto God.
    Israel many times failed to do this.God preserved a remnant who was faithful by His grace.
    Now believing gentiles are grafted in . We also are to bear fruit unto holiness. Some seeing this try to do it in the power of the flesh.The flesh always fails.
    [QUOTEPsalm 103:7
    He made known his ways unto Moses, his acts unto the children of Israel.
    Moses knew the ways of holiness.They mostly did not;
    ][/QUOTE]

10. calvin

calvin New Member

Iconoclast-Many churches attempt to do this in the strength of the flesh with a man made list of do this,and do not do that.They bring the people into a legalistic bondage to an outward comformity to these man made rules.
    ME- And its always geared towards keeping the women in line. It never works...:)

11. calvin

calvin New Member

Th1Bill-If any person needs to be told that dresses, skirts and shorts that bare the lower cheeks are offensive to God, someone is not studying to know God and is rooted much to deeply in the worlds life-style. A large portion of the reason we can hear filth spoken of women today is because of their compromise to look sexy. The filthy mouths of commentators and ?musicians? And the worlds acceptance of this filth, is in part due to the filthy appearance of young women today. Yes! You can make the argument that the reverse is true and that the music and the comments are the reflection of filthy young women but to argue that point is akin to the stupid argument about Adam's and Eve's belly buttons.
    ME- Someone seems to have some undue hostility towards women. I am single, and I am celebate. but personally I find women beautiful. also they dress more conservatively today than they did in say the 60s 70s and 80s. where does your anger come from my friend. Praise God for women. the world would be a much uglier place without them.

12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I did not. Here is your statement:

The single point is this, you can choose to follow God and for your effort spend eternity, fellowshipping with God and the rest of the saved or you can compromise with the world and spend eternity, alone, in Hell.

Your single point, points to a works based salvation, unless you willl now at this time qualify it by saying you are speaking of two separate individuals.

13. calvin

calvin New Member

I do agree with you my friend. believe it or not. I do believe that the works the bible speaks about are love of God and Love of neighbor. Not what we wear. A brother of mine who is now deceased, put it this way. God came to change my heart, not my shirt. I believe if we are abstaining from sexual imorrality, not eating meat with the blood in it. Visiting widows and orphans in their distress(providing relief.) Along with faith in Christ finished work on the cross. We shall do well. So is it faith and works? Yes to a point. But the works some would have us do, profit us very little in this life, an nothing for the next. Peace :wavey:

14. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvin,

The very first rule of ministry is "Never set on your own toes." And as soon as you "assumed" you did just that. I have been married now for 41 years and the clothing worn in the sixties, seventies and eighties was not more revealing than what is being worn to church today, I was there and I am here, now.

What you have done in your post here is to attempt to rationalize and there is no room in the Kingdom of God for anything less than obedient service. Young master, you need to read the Bible prayerfully from the beginning to the end!

15. calvin

calvin New Member

with all due respect sir, I am not that young. Also with all due respect, I could if I chose, post pictures of the manner of dress in the roaring 20s, the 50s, deffinitly the 60s. I did not know the Gospel was about fashion. If you truly feel this way, you can become Amish. They would think your idea of conservative dress is too revealing. and they would judge you the same as you are judging others. Are they correct? BTW I congratulate you on your marriage of 41 years. Praise God for that. and I wish you many more years of happiness to come. Peace :wavey: