1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who are your favorite & least favorite boxers?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by BigBossman, Jan 20, 2009.

1. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My favorite of all time is "Big" George Foreman

My other favorites include:

1. Oscar De La Hoya
    2. Vitali Klitschko
    3. Wladimir Klitschko
    4. Roy Jones Jr.
    5. "Smokin" Joe Frazier
    6. "Sugar" Ray Robinson
    7. Lennox Lewis
    8. Andrew Golota - Even though he's been known to fight dirty
    9. Evander "The Real Deal" Holyfield

My least favorite boxers are:
    1. Cassius Clay (A.K.A. Muhammed Ali) - Although he was funny to listen to
    2. Mike Tyson
    3. Riddick Bowe
    4. Julio Cesar Chavez

#1 BigBossman, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2009
  2. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Favorite boxer? Billy Backus!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Backus

I met Billy in 1985. Our paths crossed several times over the years that followed. It was always a pleasure to talk with him. Billy didn't have a lot to say about his own career but spoke volumes about his uncle - Carmen Basilio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen_Basilio

and Lou Ambers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Ambers

Least favorite boxers? I can't decide. Both rub me the wrong way and are immeasurably irritating - either Mike Tyson or the six pair of boxers issued to me at Basic Training - and I'm willing to give the military ones a pass...

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'll stay away frome the "least-favorite' category, by choice.

However, there is absolutley no question here, as to my favorite of all time.

The late Giuseppe Berardinelli a.k.a. Joey Maxim, World Light Heavyweight Champion for three years between 1950-1952, before losing his title by decision to Archie Moore. Joe defeated, at times among others, greats including 'Jersey' Joe Walcott, 'Sugar' Ray Robinson in a "Boiling in the Bronx" bout at Yankee stadium, the only time Robinson was ever stopped in 201 fights, and in his last major win, defeated 19 year old Olympic Champion Floyd Patterson, giving Patterson his last loss before Patterson later went on to win the heavyweight crown, a year later.

The fight with Robinson, took place in a heat wave so severe that the referree actually collapsed from heat exhaustion, along with almost a hundred spectators, and then Robinson, collapsed at the end of Round 13, with Maxim retaining his championship, although he was actually trailing on points, proved the undoing of Joey, however, as he was never able to fully recover from his own heat exhaustion (Robinson and Maxim, had collectively lost over 20# in the 13 Rounds), despite his defeat of Patterson, a year later. Had that fight been a much longer one, Patterson would likely have defeated Maxim, IMO. The Patterson win was the last big victory Maxim had, for he was effectively done at the age of 30 after the Robinson fight, although he would fight another 15 matches over the next 6 years, losing first his championship to Moore, who was already 39, at the time, and again in two rematches with Moore.

Joe was a 'quick' rather than a 'hard' puncher, and in his 50s by the time I came to know him, more than 35 years ago, and he and I were then co-workers for about five years, and quickly became friends. Even then, he would occasionally 'shadow-box' when a co-worker would ask him to demonstrate his style, and was still so 'quick' that his hands were almost a blur when 'punching' the invisible opponent, as he had been noted for his very quick left jab, as a fighter. A running joke at our workplace was, "Hey Champ! Let's go about three rounds!" as some co-worker would assume a boxing stance while throwing a couple of imaginary punches. Assuming the same stance, the good-natured Joe would throw a few as well, saying, with a big grin - "OK! Uh- who's gonna' go the other two?", as all of us, including Joe would laugh heartily.

I heard him say, several times, with a basically true trademark line, "I never knocked anyone out/down - they just did kinda' funny things while standing up!"

Joey Maxim, World Light Heavyweight Champion from Jan. 24, 1950- Dec. 17, 1952, Died June 2, 2001, at the age of 79.

Ed

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Go for the Gold!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]

Ed
    [/FONT]

5. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also forgot to add Jack Dempsey to my favorites list.

6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Adding Jack Dempsy to the mix pretty much sums it up for me.

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

My least favorite Boxer is Barbara for sure.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

That one took me a second, :tonofbricks:

but "Yeah! I fully agree with the pick!" :applause: :thumbsup:

Ed

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who are your favorite & least favorite boxers?
    Muhammad Ali (fits both)

I used to walk past Joe Frazier’s Gym on N. Broad Street in Philly while walking to school.

You could tell when he was there; he’d park his black Roll’s on the sidewalk out in front.

Rob

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The undefeated Rocky Marciano (1923-1969) is my all-time favorite heavyweight boxer -- or simply boxer period.

Granted,he went against some who were past their prime by the time they encounted him in the ring.Archie Moore was 42,Jersey Joe Walcott was 39 and Joe Lewis was 37.But Ezzard Charles at 33 was just two years older than Rocky Marciano.

R.M was not about finesse -- but he got the job done with power and grit.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

:laugh:

I'd probably have to agree.

12. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

My favorite boxers are the light gray cotton with the extra wide elastic waist bandl

my least favorite were the silk white ones with red hearts all over, but they were given to me as a joke gift.