1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who destroyed Job's stuff?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, May 23, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

God or Satan?

Job 1:12 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.

Job 2:3 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause.

:confused:

2. standingfirminChrist

Satan moved God against Job, by wanting to test Job. But satan's true agenda was to destroy Job without casue.

God was not out to destroy Job

3. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But God said to Satan that Job is in his (Satan's) hands! And then later it shall have been God? This is a bit illogical, isn't it?

4. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

it was God because He allowed Job to do it... But it was Satan because he was the one who actually did it to Job.

5. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

So you think Satan was the executor who killed Job's children and who did all this?

Because the interesting part of this is that if Satan was the one who did all this then this would mean that Satan can control the weather because he sent fire from heaven.

Job 1:16 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The fire of God is fallen from heaven, and hath burned up the sheep, and the servants, and consumed them; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

And the servant even attributes this fire to God! :eek:

6. standingfirminChrist

many things are attributed to God which are not, and many to satan which are not.

7. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Indeed. This reminds me of the tsumani a few years ago. It only took a few days until prophecies and words from God came up on christian boards where people quoted Jesus saying that he was the one who caused the tsunami.... :confused:
    Such things can really distort your picture of God because you don't know if it was God or not. Maybe it wasn't God and christians make it look like it was God and others read this and think how terrible the christian God is.

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

my oh my....this sounds like Satan was controling God.

God allowed Satan just as Claudia said, so in fact if God had the power to stop satan and did not it was God that was in full control.

Notice that thoughout the whole book Job never blaimed Satan. It is clear that God gave Satans hand to do as he pleased short of taking Jobs life, but Job only wanted to be right with God and does not care about what Satan is doing. What a great picture for us to follow.

In Christ...James

9. standingfirminChrist

Job 2:3 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause.

God Himself said satan moved Him against Job. My statement is not wrong.

10. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Satan! God says "He is in your hands" -- Satan charges "YOU have set a hedge about him" -- God simply removed that barrier of protection and gave Satan permission to harm as was Satan's nature and desire.

In Christ,

Bob

11. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Satan! God says "He is in your hands" -- Satan charges "YOU have set a hedge about him" -- God simply removed that barrier of protection and gave Satan permission to harm as was Satan's nature and desire.

In Christ,

Bob
    </font>[/QUOTE]This is what I believe, too.

But why does God say in Job 2:3 that Satan moved him against Job? This seems like a contradiction.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In this example Satan seeks to charge God "Put forth YOUR hand" but God makes it clear "Behold he is in YOUR power" and scripture makes it clear "Satan went out and smote Job".

[ May 24, 2006, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: BobRyan ]

13. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Yes.
    But Job 2:3 seems to say something different, this is what confuses me.

This sounds like Satan started this whole thing. But wasn't it God who challenged Satan? I mean God knew exactly what would happen when he started with this "did you see my servant Job" stuff. :confused:

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God removed his protection. If a Father is argued into removing his protection from one child - protection against a wild dog - does the Father still "take no credit/responsibility"??

But still the scripture is correct when He says to Satan "behold he is in YOUR power".

The only way BOTH are true is that God is taking responsibility "for saying such a thing" to Satan.

15. whatever

whatever New Member

Twice Job said that God did it (1:21 and 2:10) and both times Scripture says that Job spoke the truth. The correct answer is that both did it, along with some Sabeans and Chaldeans as well.

16. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But didn't God know exactly what would happen when he asked Satan this stuff? If Satan had come to God and asked him wether he can destroy Job then it would be much easier to understand but it's the other way around. It seems like God challenges Satan. Why did he do this? Atheists use this to attack God and to make it look as if God was playing games with Satan and Job's the poor victim. In the end Job is even richer and has new children but his old children are dead. Sure, you can simply say that they were in paradise but somehow it still seems like a lot of collateral damage. :(

17. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

satan can control the weather...

Rv:13:13: And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God states a fact about Job - that HE IS righteous. That is going to be "good news" for all those in harmony with the King of the Universe!

That can not possibly be viewed as "a bad thing".

However Satan shows HIS OWN nature when He challenges God with a compelling argument that God is simply bribing Job!

God denies that Job only serves God out of bribery!

To PROVE the point He ALLOWS Satan a certain level of doing harm to Job!

The key here is that THIS WHOLE THING only makes sense in a "free will" context where a group of intelligent beings is "determining answers" based on "emperical data" compelling evidence!

But as we can see in the chapters - it is not God that is "learning".

In Christ,

Bob

19. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Would God also have allowed this if he had known that Job would not pass the test?

And since God already knew the outcome why didn't he simply leave it with that? When he knows the result of a scenario already then he doesn't have to play through it anymore.

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True - the entire exercise is not for "God's benefit" at all.