1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who did Cain marry?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by bonniej, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Don't you mean "mothers-in-law"

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Mother-in-lawS :D

3. Plain Old Bill

How many laws would this mother be a party to?

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

5. acts17_11

acts17_11 New Member

He can have mine!!
    :D [​IMG] [​IMG] :rolleyes: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

mother-in-law that is.

6. LLLeast of these

LLLeast of these New Member

What does it matter? I sign in here from time to time, and I to be honest I hope to find food for growth and do learn somethings. Seldom do I post for fear of sounding as PETTY as this.

7. Plain Old Bill

Dear LLLEASTOFTHESE,
    Please pardon us.A lot of us know each other through the board. Sometimes we are given to a little humor. We are not trying to be petty.
    Having said that and you bringing us back to the serious side of this conversation, 2 more questions come to mind. How old was Cain when he married and how old was his wife?That would give an answer to whether he more likely married a sister or a niece, grandniece, ect...and so on. Also at this time the earths population was so small there was no rule set up about incest.

8. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's no reason to deny God didn't create other people from A&E's children...but there IS reason to believe Cain didn't marry a sister or other close relative. Why? Because God forbade incest. He had already forbidden several other things He placed in His written law, such as murder and theft, and virtually EVERY separate people on earth have a deep-rooted taboo against incest, even if they'd not heard of God. I believe if God had allowed incest at one time, He'd have said so when He "officially" prohibited it, calling for anyone thus sinning to be executed.

9. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello robycop3.

I would have thought, what with the advent of genetic research, that it would be obvious why God determined it wrong to have sexual relations within families.
    At the beginning Adam and Eve pocessed all the genes that make up the human race. The human race must come from one source, Adam, or salvation fails.
    Cain must have married a close relative, if you think that carries a moral defect then all I can say is that's the way God planned it.
    No other person could have been created by God who did not come by way of Adam. Jesus Himself included.
    There is a deep-rooted taboo against this I agree. But 'taboo': 2 : banned on grounds of morality or taste or as constituting a risk : also has the meaning of 'risk'. It is the risk that is imperative here not morality. The risk of 'in breeding' is well known and would of itself cause people to be cautious of doing it.
    This was not a problem when the race was young and vibrant but after the flood, with only three couples, or four, the gene pool was not as it was.

I think you will have to show that this is a normal proceedure for God. What God would have said must be proved or it stands as opinion.

johnp.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Then God must have created people not related to Adam and Eve. Otherwise even if Cain had married a cousin, who were the cousins parents? Brother and sister, children of Adam and Eve.
    I'm just willing to add to the bible by saying there were other people not Adam and Eve and their decendants.

11. johnp.

johnp. New Member

You don't mean that do you donnA?

johnp.

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

In Genesis 3:20 we read, "And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living."[10] In other words, all people are descendants of Adam and Eve -- she was the first woman.

Eve was made from Adam's rib (or side) (Genesis 2:21-24) -- this was a unique event. Jesus (Matthew 19:4-6) and Paul (Ephesians 5:31) use this historical and one-time event as the doctrinal foundation for the marriage of one man to one woman.

Also, in Genesis 2:20, we are told that when Adam looked at the animals, he could not find a mate -- there was no one of his kind.

All this makes it obvious that there was only one woman, Adam's wife, at the beginning. There were never any other women around who were not Eve's descendants.

The law forbidding marriage between close relatives was not given until the time of Moses (Leviticus 18-20). Provided marriage was one man to one woman for life (based on Genesis 1 and 2), there was no disobedience to God's law originally when close relatives (even brothers and sisters) married each other.

And in the course of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering to the Lord.

Note the phrase "in the course of time." We know that Seth was born when Adam was 130 years old (Genesis 5:3), and Eve saw him as a "replacement" for Abel (Genesis 4:25). Therefore, the period from Cain's birth to Abel's death may have been 100 years or more -- allowing plenty of time for other children of Adam and Eve to marry and have children and grandchildren. By the time Abel was killed, there could well have been a considerable number of descendants of Adam and Eve, involving several generations.

http://christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c004.html
    Where did Cain get his wife?

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Actually, there's a translation problem here. The Hebrew word (translated "Eve") is Chavva, a Hebrew name which means "lifegiver". She was given the name "lifegiver" because she was the mother of all living. This is a rather significant point that we unfortunately lose in translation, and the word "Eve" has become engrained into our customs to the point where updating the translation of her name is taboo.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

You don't mean that do you donnA?

johnp.
    </font>[/QUOTE]no, it should have said, not willing to add to the bible, which a lot of it is going on on this topic.

15. Sularis

Sularis Member

The issue itself is silly

Face it Cain did the nasty with a sis, or niece

Even if Cain didnt do the nasty with a sis or niece the issue becomes moot thanx to the FLOOD

First Cousins were were marrying first cousins, maybe even nieces or second cousins - but there was a lot of cousin loving going on!

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree with Diane! [​IMG]

I hope Sularis uses a different term than "did the nasty" next time. Sex was created by God and within marriage is beautiful, not nasty. A lot of younger people on the BB might read this, Sularis.

17. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Sularis, I agree with Marcia. Don't like your terminology at all!

18. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

well, that IS what young people call it all the time around here. :0

19. Turpius

Turpius New Member

I don't have a problem with Cain marrying a sister/neice/cousin, people were still doing it by the time of Abraham, sarah was his half-sister, plus earlier right after the Flood, the children of Shem, Ham, and Japheth were either siblings or first cousins.

20. Plain Old Bill

Dianne has said it right.