1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who Did Jesus Come To Save?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Mark Osgatharp, Nov 19, 2003.

1. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob,

Jeremiah 29:13, in context, is speaking of the Jews at the end of the Babylonian captivity. James 4:8 is written to believers. Neither has anything to do with unbelievers looking for God. The Bible clearly teaches that anyone who wants to, can be saved. It's just that none of us want to until God draws us. Romans 3:11, "There is none that seeketh after God." John 6:44, "No man can come to me, except the father which hath sent me draw him."

[ November 19, 2003, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: PastorGreg ]

2. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not disagree with this statement. My disagreement comes when one asserts that not all men are drawn. I believe the Bible teaches that every man will, at some point in their life, have salvation made available to them.

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, (KJV)

John 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. (KJV)

Luke 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. (KJV)

I've stated before, and tried to convey this in my prior posts, that there is a balance between the two that we do not understand. His ways are not our ways; His thoughts are not our thoughts. We can't understand God through our human experiences.

The balance to John 6:44 would be Matthew 11:28:
    "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (KJV)

Jesus wouldn't give this invitation to all if all didn't have the opportunity to come.

The balance to Romans 3:11 would be Matthew 6:33:
    "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." (KJV)

Again, Jesus wouldn't command an impossible task.

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Bob, let me explain the bridge thing.

Calvinist - God extends the bridge all the way across to save his elect (number known only to him, but still a minority). He actually will save all of his elect.

Arminianism - God extends the bridge halfway. Christ only provided the basis for salvation, but guaranteed it for no one in particular. If you say it is particular, that is the same as the calvinist, who believe in particular redemption.

I was not implying that you or anyone else here believes that you must "complete the bridge" so to speak to be saved.

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Pastor Bob, I am going to try and accurately answer each concern/statement.

1. All me deal with the general call (what Romans 1 is about).

2. I used to think this also. A missionary asked me, "What about those who never know of the gospel?". Romans 10 teaches us that one must believe the gospel.

3. I don't think balance is the word you are looking for. Each verse loses the force of what it is saying by making it in submission to another verse. Each text has absolute, binding authority. I will explain later.

4. I can preach to 1,000 people to come unto Jesus if you are weary. The problem with the individual though is that he doesn't really know he is weary and heavy laden unless Christ reveals that.

5. Not so, the invitation is universal in scope. All who want to may come. Again, no one on their own ever wants to come. This has nothing to do with ability to come. No one wants to come. It is their nature to be at enmity with God.

6. There is no balance here. In Romans 3, Pauls quote David by saying that none will every seek the Lord.

Christ is telling people to put the Lordship of Christ in their life. He is addressing citizens of his kingdom. I don't think this is an evangelistic text.

7. I don't know about this one. God did command the Jews to perfectly keep the law, fully knowing that they couldn't do it.

These are just some thoughts. Right now, I actually favor the unlimited atonement view, but definitely see the merits of particular redemption.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

John 3:16 states that Jesus came to save all who believe in him.

6. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. You'll have to provide Scriptures that differentiate between the "general call" and " the call." It is my opinion that such a belief undermines the character of God; His justice, His love, and His mercy.

2. I believe Romans 1 answers the question of "What about those who never know of the gospel?" I agree that Romans 10 teaches that one must believe the gospel to be saved, but I also believe verse 18, "But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world." (KJV) I still submit that every man has an opportunity to trust Christ.

3. The answer is usually found somewhere between the extremes.

4. But God has "chosen the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe." 1 Cor 1:21
    The truth communicated in preaching, along with the convicting agency of the Holy Spirit is sufficient to make this need apparent. Again, I believe that all men are made aware of thier need of a Savior.

5. I can't disagree but that is really not the point. The point is, I believe all men are given the invitation to come to Jesus. I do not believe gives some the ability to "want to," and not others.
    Rev 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come . And let him that heareth say, Come . And let him that is athirst come . And whosoever will , let him take the water of life freely. (KJV)

6. I believe that man's nature rebels against God and does not naturally seek Him. But, when he is visited by the "grace of God that bringeth salvation" that is promised to appear to all men, this same man has a choice to accept Christ or reject Him. If they reject Him, their "foolish heart" will be darkened. Rom 1:21

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Spurgeon was right: we don't need to reconcile free will and God's electing sovereignty because they aren't at odds. Both sides are true. To fail to believe in one or the other is to fail to believe God's Word. Salvation is of God, not of us.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Sorry Mark. Syllogisms don't defeat God's Word.
    That quote says "he came to them.." not "he came to save them." Besides, you sound an awful lot like a universalist and that one must not receive Christ in order to be saved. I hope that's not what you're saying, but it sure sounds like it is.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Transfering this to the Calvinism forum since it is obviously of that ilk. That's why we HAVE that forum!

Keep on posting.

10. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am no Calvinist, but, considering what you said from a to c, all I can say is what an abject, pitiful failure your god is, and if you give me the argument that Arminianism usually gives, that God decided to honor man by allowing him free choice, what mindlessness that is then, that a holy God should now honor a vile, unholy, despicable, dirty, rotten sinner's twisted sense of choices.

11. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

True. And John 12:47-48 states that Jesus came to save all who will not believe on Him, putting the onus squarely on them for rejecting Him, not on Himself or on the Father for not choosing them. Let's read it again:

Mark Osgatharp

12. Mark Osgatharp

Mr. Vols,

To start with, when the Scripture says that the Savior "came unto his own" I think it a fair inference that the purpose for which He came to them was to save them - especially so since we have His own words that He would have gathered them under His wing as a hen gathers her chicks, but they would not.

However, I notice that you fail to address the passage that explicitly does say He came to save those who rejected Him. I quote it again:

You also said,

I wish you would please quote the words that I said that sounded like I am a universalist or that men must not receive Christ in order to be saved. I said the exact opposite. I said that the reason men are not saved is because the reject Christ, which is exactly what Christ said. Here is what I said with emphasis added to expose the dishonesty of your charge that I sound like a universalist:

Now, will you please desist from your baseless slanders and address what Jesus actually said in the text.

Mark Osgatharp

13. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what threw me off, Doc, and sent you all those PM's. I thought we had another Calvinism forum besides this. You got me there. [​IMG]

14. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMO, here is perhaps the strongest passage that once-and-for-all puts the doctrine of Limited Atonement to rest.

John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: (KJV)

We know what Jesus was referring to in this passage. Every single man, woman, boy, and girl had the opportunity to look upon the brazen serpent that Moses lifted up in obedience to God. No one was exempt; no one was "elected" or "predestined" to look. Some chose to do it God's way; some chose to try it their own way. Salvation is no different.

Jesus said, "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me ." (KJV)

Even though man's nature is totally depraved, God's justice requires that He gives equal opportunity to all men to be saved. He will, at some point in a person's life, draw them to Himself. It is each one's individual responsibility to respond to that drawing.

15. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Yet, Pastor Bob, Millions have died without ever hearing the name of Jesus. "all men " refers to all races and nations of people. God is under no obligation to save anyone but out of His grace He saves some.

16. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about Mark Osgatharp addressing these scriptures and proving that there are NO elect, NO such thing as election in the Bible, and that God sent His Son to die on the cross for unknown sinners.

17. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Job 42:2
    I know that You can do everything, and that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You.

Since syllogisms are for this thread, I just want to point out the obvious, clear teaching of the word of God.

1. God can do everything.
    2. No one can stop God.
    3. God will accomplish all that he purposes to do.
    4. People go to hell.
    5. God did NOT purpose to save every individual, even though it was legitimately offered.
    6. The purpose of Christ was to save a specific group.

18. Mark Osgatharp

pinoybaptist,

I never said the Bible doesn't teach election. I do say it does not teach unconditional election.

Now how about addressing the passage from John 12 and give me a grammatical exegesis that proves it does not teach that Jesus came to save those who will ultimately reject Him.

Mark Osgatharp

19. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, thank you. I will not violate the precepts and rules of scripture study which God gave and that is to compare Scripture with Scripture. Here is what the Holy Spirit said in Isaiah 28:9-13 -

Your insistence on discussing scriptures and doctrine within the boundaries of sillogism follows earthly wisdom and is subtle and seeks to prove only your interpretation against what Scripture clearly teaches about Unconditional Election.

20. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

PinoyBaptist,
    Here is a comparison of scripture that is trustworthy! In both cases it is Jesus THE SAVIOR, speaking. You will agree that there is no other who can save will you not? If Jesus is the ONLY savior, then His words are to be believed, and he says,
    Jesus is consistent in His message for he also said,
    Peter confirms Jesus' words by declaring in 1 Peter 1:13-25, that man's regeneration come from believing the Word of God, and does not precede the hearing of the word.