1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who do you listen to...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by ScottEmerson, May 30, 2003.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of Todd Snider, Robbie Fulks and Peter Mayer.

I've mentioned Peter Mayer before. He's a mainstream artist who's a Christian but has three Gospel albuims out, in addition to his mainstream stuff.

Both the Gospel and the mainstream music are some of the most beautiful I think I've ever heard.

2. Pete

Pete New Member

I used to have full sets of Springsteen, Meat Loaf, Twisted Sister, Queen (how did THEY get in there??). Also had a lot of Alice Cooper, AC/DC box set (post Bon), and too many more to think of off the top of my head.

All of the above are long gone. About the only full set I still have is Dire Straits. Most of the rest of old record collection is various.

Oh, also have DVDs from Springsteen, Clapton, & The Eagles.

Pete

3. yod

yod Member

that is hilarious! "not the best pilot"

I never would have figured you to be a John Denver fan. Hmmm....

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I'm hoping the Eagles come through Philly on this tour, even if it is without Don Felder.

I saw them on the "Hell Freezes Over" tour and they were great.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The term "New Age" in music categories is often the "don't know where this fits so I'll put it here" category. I've seen some classical piano in the New Age section, and seen some alternative rock in the new age section (before alternative rock was a section in and of itself). Interestingly, the New Age section also houses many Zamphir pan flute recordings, and many church handbell, carillon, and organ recordings that are not of a classic or ccm nature.

In other words, the New Age section is the "catch all" section.

6. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

You can't mess with the king of the pan flute.

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Right now, listening to the Mavericks' new one. Their reunion is the best news to come out of Nashville in a long, long time.

8. Pete

Pete New Member

"Hell Freezes Over" is the Eagles DVD I have [​IMG]

To quote Maxwell Smart "If only they used their music for niceness instead of evil." [​IMG]

9. LarryN

LarryN New Member

I've always been partial to U2- I've seen them live in concert three times now.

I still can't decide in my own mind whether Bono is genuinely born-again though (and Edge & Larry Mullen, Jr. have also professed to have been saved around 1980 or so). I've heard him say several things that sound downright fundamental Baptist, and then again at times he comes across as a sheer Universalist.
    And of course some of the lyrics could pass for pure Gospel. Anyone heard "Grace" off of the newest album?

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

That's kind of the way I feel. He'll say something that makes me think, "Hey, this guy really gets it" and then he'll turn around and say something that just makes you shake your head.

I don't know if he's a Christian or not. If he says he is, then I'll take his word for it, since I'm not close enough to him to be able to examine what fruit he's producing but it certainly sounds like he wasn't discipled very well.

I agree. Many of their songs contain more of the Gospel than your average Christian band.

11. kman

kman New Member

Jazz:

Duke Ellington
    Count Basie
    Louis Armstrong
    Ella Fitzgerald
    John Coltrane
    Miles Davis

Classical:

Beethoven
    Bruckner
    Wagner

12. Well...... Utaro listens to little cecular. Mainly in that catagory, it's Linkin' Park and 'Weird Al' Yankovic.
    I mainyl listen to Skillet (THE BEST BAND EVER!), Thousand Foot Krutch, Newsboys, Pax217, Jars of Clay, and umm...... er..... that's mainly it ^_^. [​IMG] :cool:

13. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Listening to the Gibson Brothers' "Spread Your Wings"