Who gave more to charity, McCain or Obama?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ps104_33, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33
    Expand Collapse

Americans are astonishingly generous when it comes to charitable contributions. So, how do the presidential candidates stack up?Well, thanks to their having released their tax returns, we have a pretty good idea.
    In the years 2000 through 2007, Barack Obama donated between 0.4% and 6.1% of his net income to charitable causes.
    McCain released his 2006 and 2007 tax returns, and in those years he gave 28.6% and 27.3% of his income to charitable causes.
    So it seems to me that Obama's saying that America should be more like John McCain, and less like Barack Obama.

http://wizbangblog.com/content/2008/08/21/obama-still-telling-americans-be-like-republicans.php

I always said. If you want to look into a man's heart, look at his tax return.

2. KenH

KenH
    Expand Collapse

It would be interesting to see what the McCain family's charitable % would be with his wife's income included.

3. Andy T.

Andy T.
    Expand Collapse

Looks like Obama is one of those out-of-touch rich guys - so out of touch that charity just gets a few breadcrumbs from his millions. Hypocrite.

4. Bible-boy

Bible-boy
    Expand Collapse

Just consider that he allows his half-brother in Kenya to subsist of about $1.00 per month.

5. Bible-boy

Bible-boy
    Expand Collapse

Interesting 24 hours later and no one else has posted to this thread. Hmmm...

6. KenH

KenH
    Expand Collapse

Huh? This thread was started about 11 hours ago?

Still, I would like to the McCain family's % with Cindy McCain's income included. Does anyone have that number or would including her income ruin this Bash-Obama-Yet-Again thread?

7. North Carolina Tentmaker

North Carolina Tentmaker
    Expand Collapse

Of course Obama's charity contributions are small. He does not believe in personal charity,he thinks that taking money from people in the forms of taxes and then spending it as he sees fit is charity. Why should he give to non profits? He thinks he government should be doing that work to start with.

8. KenH

KenH
    Expand Collapse

6.1% is not a small amount for Senator Obama to give to charity.

9. JustChristian

JustChristian
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Everything is relative.

http://www.slate.com/id/2161740/

According to Obama's most recent public financial statements, he and his wife, Michelle, were worth between $500,000 and $2 million at the end of 2005 (excluding whatever equity they have in their $1.65 million Chicago house). The bulk of this wealth came from $1.2 million in royalties Obama received that year for The Audacity of Hope and a previously published book (part of a $1.9 million, three-book deal). The $1.2 million figure is presumably pretax, which means that, after paying the IRS, Obama probably kept about $600,000.

This modest (for a senator) net worth suggests that Obama is in a good position to appreciate the situation of many Americans. He has worked hard enough and saved enough to have a healthy nest egg, but unlike, say, fellow Democratic candidate John Edwards, he doesn't have enough to retire on. Because Obama earned his money himself, moreover—and recently—he can no doubt relate to both ends of the economic spectrum. Put differently, Obama's not some silver-spoon fat cat who has lost touch with regular working stiffs, and he's also not likely an angry populist obsessed with "the people versus the powerful."

http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/talk/2008/08/mccains-net-worth-is-more-than.php

McCain's net worth is more than 45 times greater than Obama's

August 22, 2008, 8:49PM

Based on the nonpartisan Sunlight Foundation, which conducted an analysis of the net worth of each of the 535 members of Congress.

Obama: $799,000
    McCain: $36,000,000

McCain is definitely rich by his standards....and Obama, I guess, would be poor?

10. Bible-boy

Bible-boy
    Expand Collapse

Ooopps, my fault. I thought that I had replied to this thread the night before when I posted my second post without looking that times. Sorry, please forgive me.

#10 Bible-boy, Aug 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  11. Bible-boy

Bible-boy
    Expand Collapse

The point is not about who is richer. It is about who is generous with what they do have. Likewise, with a net worth of nearly $800,000 BHO could surely afford to send something like $100 per month to his half-brother in Kenya rather than allowing him to subsist on about $1.00 per month. Depending on the exchange rate (the last time I was in Kenya it was about 75 KSs per 1 US dollar) this would at least give the poor man 7500 KSs as opposed to 75 KSs per month.

12. KenH

KenH
    Expand Collapse

Do you have any proof of this????

13. rbell

rbell
    Expand Collapse

But...McCain is 25 years older. Is this even a fair comparison?

Besides...if the point to prove is "rich people can't be good presidents..."
    a. We're in trouble, because most of them are.
    b. We've failed to show a causative relationship (besides the "out of touch" class envy card).

14. KenH

KenH
    Expand Collapse

Oh, you mean this half-brother with the headline:

"Senator Barack Obama's long lost brother has been tracked down for the first time living in a shanty town in Kenya, reports claimed. "

and the half-brother who said:

'He told the magazine: "I live like a recluse, no-one knows I exist." '

15. targus

targus
    Expand Collapse

Didn't Obama write about this half brother in his book - describing him as having a "round head"?

No doubt Obama knew about this half brother and the conditions in which he lived.

It is my understanding that Obama has eight half brothers. Does he have a relationship with any of them?

Wouldn't the "common man"?

16. Bible-boy

Bible-boy
    Expand Collapse

Exactly. However, did you also read the part that talked about how BHO had met this half-brother twice and how BHO wrote about him in one of his books? So clearly BHO knowns that he exists. I think the headline and the quote you supplied had more to do with the fact that the media and the rest of the world did not know about this half-brother (until now).

17. KenH

KenH
    Expand Collapse

Do you know if he doesn't?

Also, before one can help even a relative that person has to be willing to accept the help. I think that the anti-Obama crowd needs to do more research on this before they start making accusations.

18. Bible-boy

Bible-boy
    Expand Collapse

According to one of the articles I read BHO and one of his half-brothers served as the best man at each other's weddings. Likewise, it was one of BHO's half-sisters who first told him about his youngest half-brother that now lives in abject poverty.