1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Who Has A Mental Illness???

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

[SIZE=+0]The bible does not say what you are saying. No place does the bible say or teach that epilepsy, schizophrenia comes from demons. In the times when the Lord cast out demons it was never about a medical issue. Medical issues need healing not demon exorcism. The Lord even taught that they are two different things in His command to the disciple.
    Mat. 10:7-8
    And proclaim as you go, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.'
    Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, [fn] cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay. Since you and I cannot heal cleanse the leapers, or raise the dead today there is no reason to believe we can cast out demons.
    Demon possession is not a medical issue any more then bad behavior is. The rest of your accusation is mere gibberish and outlandish. Drugs when used for behavior but can never deal with the problem of sin. Only confession and forsaking can deal with sin.

Whether or not the author of that site is confused or not I do not know, but I do know that epilepsy, schizophrenia are not because of demon possession. I also know that God never intended drugs to be used to control a believers sins. Confession and forsaking is the only way to overcome.
    You mentioned stress. We are have stressful situations, but ongoing stress that causes the person not to be able to cope with life is due to sin and yes sin in a person can cause medical problems. The sin is what needs to be dealt with and that is only done by confession and forsaking.
    I would ask you again to point me to just one person in the bible who was under long term stress or had depression and God directed them to drugs.
    [/SIZE]

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

careful you are going to need medical attention maybe even drugs for all that head banging. :laugh:

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

And your solution leaves them hopelessin their self pity and unconfessed sin. The only hope is in confession and forsaking to be an overcomer.

#63 freeatlast, May 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2012
  4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

A foolish question indeed!
    Show me in the Bible: Cymbalta, Oxycontin, Valium, or even aspirin and Tylenol. Your question will be easier to answer when you show me these drugs existed in the first century.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You do err not knowing the Scriptures.

Matthew 17:15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is epileptic, and suffereth grievously; for oft-times he falleth into the fire, and off-times into the water.
    Matthew 17:18 And Jesus rebuked him; and the demon went out of him: and the boy was cured from that hour. (ASV)

This disputes what you have just said.
    Physical ailments are often caused by demons. This one was.
    But you choose to remain ignorant of such things.

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You did not answer the quesiton. I asked about a person not a name of a drug.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You asked:

[SIZE=-0]I would ask you again to point me to just one person in the bible who was under long term stress or had depression and God directed them to drugs.[/SIZE]

Give me the name of a drug in the Bible and I will give you the name of a person. Deal?

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

:laugh:
    Nice try. That Greek word translated epileptic has nothing to with what we call someone today with epilepsy.

The cure was not a medical cure as in a sickness. He was set free from a demon that was wrenching his body. There is no illness involved here. Let me ask you to tell me how you cast out demons?

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Alcohol is one

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I think others have discussed this in length with you.
    But here is one possibility you may not have thought of.
    Paul told Timothy, "Take a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thy oft infirmities"
    What the stomach ailment is, and the "oft infirmities" are, we don't know.
    It is possible that the stomach ailment is an ulcer brought on by stress, that the "wine" is unfermented wine, which would be soothing to the ulcer and save to drink. Contaminated water was a problem as it is now in third world nations.
    Again, Timothy did not only have a stomach problem, he had many ailments. We can only speculate as to what they were. Paul prescribed a remedy, long term.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am aware of that passge but That was not about sin. You are not being honest here. Give me the name of anyone who God directed to use drugs for depression, stress, or any behavior problem. Music was used but never drugs unless you can point someone out.
    By the way here are 4 more to help you with.
    wormwood, hemlock, gall and myrrh

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You really are something. What is it? You don't like to study, or are just suspicious of another's research??

seleniazomai sel-ay-nee-ad'-zom-ahee middle voice or passive from a presumed derivative of 4582; to be moon-struck, i.e. crazy:—be a lunatic.

The word means "lunatic," and many translations translate it just that way.

Until the word "epileptic" came into use "relatively recently" the word "lunatic" was common. It was the common name for those afflicted with epilepsy, a disorder for which little is known or has been known for centuries. People have remained ignorant and superstitious throughout the centuries about this disorder.

The account here describes one who is an epileptic, as is translated by the ASV, and some other translations. Why would you doubt them? Did you read the account carefully? Have you ever seen an epileptic seizure? Do you know anything about this disorder? Don't remain in ignorance.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your right! It was not about sin! Hooray! You are getting the idea. Not all medications given are for sinful conditions. You are learning. But some medications are given for what some may call "mental conditions" such as troubles caused by stress.

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

show me in the bible.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I did. What was Timothy's ailments (more than one). What were they caused by? We don't know. Is it possible they were caused by stress? Yes.

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No you know you are playing games. Give me the name of someone who was told to take drugs for depression or any behavior problem.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Did Paul need an MRI after he was stoned?
    Did he at least get an X-Ray?
    He had problems with his eye-sight.
    Did he pass his vision test for a driver's license in Texas?

You base both your questions and answers on silence.
    The truth is that you have no answers for the problems of the unsaved, the demon-possessed and their ailments, and many of the ailments of the saved that have been pointed out to you.

Your confess your sins and repent panacea for all manner of mental ailments will never work. I hope that you will not be a counselor, especially for those that need any kind of medical help.

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Give me the name of someone who was told to take drugs for depression or any behavior problem.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There are many on this board.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No doubt as that is very obvious. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.