1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who Is Really My Brother Or Sister In The Lord?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Oct 14, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

You're onto something here. :thumbs:

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I cannot prove it, but there is a strong sense in some other threads that some consider JW and LDS (cults) in the same manner as Methodists, Lutherans, and the like, as far as fellowship. It is either a lack of spiritual discerment, or blind arrogance mixed with unwarranted exclusivity. The bottom line test of fellowship is do you believe the Gospel.

We have all seen some really off the wall ideas on this board that bring that into question, one was just banned several weeks ago. There is very little chance that the differences with some of these other groups is any greater than that which exists amongst ourselves.

As far as the other things seperating us from calling someone brother or sister, we have all seen the list, mode of baptism, charasmatic, etc, etc.

Understand I would have baptism no other way than Scriptural baptism. What does that have to do with calling someone a brother or sister? If they believe in Jesus Christ, and were poured, what is that to you?

How many times, how many times has it been said over and over, baptism does not produce salvation? If that is true, why are there those who add a requirement to a saved person to be called brother or sister just because they do not agree with you?

What kind of Christianiy is it that refuses to call someone a brother or sister based on some of these nut case ideas, and turn right around and call an unregenerated vast majority on your own local church rolls brother or sister when you have not seen them in decades?

Guard the doors, shut people out, right on, while you rot from within.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Then we have to ask, What is the gospel? Don't we, since there seems to be so many variations NOW.

2. We will always have differences as long as they are not about orthodox teachings.

3. Recently, I was listening to a lecture by John Piper, a Baptist, on baptism, where he argues for Immersion and says that there a lot of pastors he invites to his annual Pastor's Conference that couldn't be members at his church, because of pedobaptism, meaning guys like RC Sproul and Ligon Duncan and so on.

4. A few years back, Sproul debated Macarthur on baptism; well, they both respect each other as brothers in the Lord and have worked together over and over again.

5. Because we have made differences of non-essentials a test of fellowship.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be safe, I wouldn't call them brethren. However, I will not discount the possibility that they might be my brethren, who knows ?

same answer.

Those things I will definitely not do.

How can two walk together, except they be agreed ? Not my words, you understand, but Elder Amos of Old Times.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In my previous post, #7, I should have drawn a distinction between Christian fellowship and church fellowship.

On a personal level I have no problem calling folks from other faiths brother or sister in the Lord. Except the cults, of course.

On a church level, I do have some reservations about the scope and extent of such fellowship.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Is it even possible to separate Christian fellowship from church fellowship?

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I understand what you're saying. Here's the problem. I knew a woman who was SDA, and she attended a Bible study I held at work. Her husband was SDA, too, obviously. I never got much of a chance to chat with her husband, but as far as I could tell, I disagreed with her on prophecy, the need for a vegetarian diet, free-will, and several other issues. I happen to agree with her that the sabbath is the sabbath (Friday sundown to Saturday sundown), not Sunday, but disagree with her about whether we are commanded to observe it the same as in the OT.

I visited her church a few times, and I was uncomfortable with some of the things they preached. BUT, I will go to my grave convinced she belongs to Jesus. I bet if you met her, you'd recognize the Spirit in her immediately. Sometimes you just know. And I "know", yet we can't walk in agreement on everything anymore than I bet many of us on BB could walk in agreement on everything. I should say "couldn't" instead of "can't" because I haven't been in touch for about 10 years or more, so I have no idea what's going on with her and her family now.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Aren't we elevating theology over basic salvation when we speak like this?

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The Methodist brothers and sisters (yes, believe it or not, some of them are saved), have a slogan on some commericals I have seen that says "Open Minds, Open Hearts, and Open Doors." Is it really necessary just for the sake of being different we establish "Closed Minds, Closed Hearts, and Guarded Doors?"

10. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Not at all........... Lou

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Sorry, TC is correct on this one. Is our human definition of a brother or sister in Christ "those who agree with me, and how I think the Scripture is interpreted?"

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

IMO, it's just that some people have a Pharisaical desire to be exclusionary. It make them feel superior, and in control. "No, you can't have communion. No, you aren't a brother. You were born steeped in sin, so we're not going to listen to how this Jesus guy healed you. No, you...etc."

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Our differences are historical constructs from our limited human approach to the sacred text.

2. While I subscribe to the doctrines of grace, my Presbyterian brother RC Sproul, who is like-minded, believes in pedobaptism. Should I not call him my 100% brother in the Lord because we disagree at that point?

#33 TCGreek, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2007
  14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Another thread I've sighed a few times throughout. We've got to look at the individual sometime and not at the corporate being.

We don't even know that everyone in the fellowship of yada-yada Baptist church believes in all the things we hold dear. We see that in thread after thread here.

When we get down to the nitty-gritty, how we baptize and what we believe about[SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]the Lord's Supper or even how we serve it, is not the most important issue, but faith in Jesus Christ - the one and only Son of God.

15. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Man, TC, I took longer with my post than I thought because your's wasn't there when I started and there is a 9 minute difference still between the two.

I know I didn't say much. I still struggled with it.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes you should. I have seen the point of pedobaptism brought up in relation to who is my brother over and over again. This is a false argument, and we are hypocrites to say such for the follow reason out of our own mouths.

How many times have we said, Baptism follows salvation and is a sign thereof, as commanded by the Lord. It does not produce salvation. That is our theology we proclaim to the world, which I agree with.

Then we turn right around, to a saved person of another denomination, and add the requirement of Baptism like ours to call him a brother. A brother in Christ is one who has Jesus Christ as their Savior. We in essence are abandoning our belief in Baptism, and making a new definition of a brother in Christ like a Church of Christ person or a Catholic person would.

As Npet said above, it is nothing but wanting power, to control, and want the world to know how right they are.

Are we focused on Jesus and our brothers, or are we focused on ourselves?

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. True!

2. I guess just wearing the name Baptist cuts it for most and not necessarily our differences. But that approach is so faulty.

3. That is what matters, or we will continue to mistake unity for uniformity.

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I hope you didn't make anyone mad. :thumbs:

2. I don't think anyone can disagree with you here.

3. Npet is brutally on target, I'm afraid.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What do you guys think of a Baptist Church whose members have all kinds of different beliefs?

In my church, some are KJV only, some are charasmatic (not at church though), some believe in baptismal regeneration (at least one that I know of).

How can we have so many different beliefs under the same roof? Is this normal?

20. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

I was being sarcastic......... although I now do not think I should have. Flesh getting involved.

I signed my reply....... Lou. Lou as i'm sure you know thinks that a man has to have a PHD in order to be saved....