1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Who is Rick Warren, really?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Then do your own research. :laugh: this board seems to be ripe full of folks who can't deal with the truth.

If you want to see what he's been attempting to do, go look. Otherwise, I don't particularly care if you believe it or not.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the video, the charge was made that Pastor Warren does not preach repentance, or if he does, it is a watered down mockery.

Lets see: Here is an excerpt from Pastor Rick:

1. All behavior is based on belief. If somebody gets a divorce it is because they have a belief behind that: "I think I'll be happier" or whatever.

2. Behind every sin is a lie of unbelieving. You think you are doing what's best for you, but you have been deceived. The Bible tells us that Satan deceives us.

3. Change always starts in the mind. "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind" (Rom. 12:2). The Bible teaches clearly that the way we think affects the way we feel, and the way we feel affects the way we act.

4. Change beliefs first. Trying to change behavior without changing beliefs is a waste of time. Say I have a boat on auto pilot headed north. If I want it to head south, I have two options: I could wrestle the steering wheel or (the better way) change the auto pilot.

5. I don't change people's minds, God's Word does. "We speak words given to us by the Spirit using the Spirit's word to explain spiritual truth" (1 Cor. 2:13 NLT). Both Word and Spirit elements are in preaching, and often we leave out the Spirit element. Spiritual warfare is tearing down mental strongholds. Our weapons have power, pulling down every argument, every pretension.

6. Changing the way people act is the fruit of repentance. Repentance is not behavioral change; it results in behavioral change. Repentance happens in your mind. That's why John the Baptist says to produce fruit in keeping with repentance. "I preach that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds" (Acts 26:20).

7. The deepest preaching, bar none, is preaching for repentance. Many preachers are great at interpretation, good at application, but not willing to call for repentance. I preach repentance every Sunday. I talk about "changing your mind" and "paradigm shift." But every message comes down to two words: Will you? "Will you change the way you''re thinking?" If you are not preaching repentance, you're not preaching.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Unlike the majority on here, I have been to his "gatherings" before and I must say I have heard a lot of stuff said. But preaching the GOSPEL has not been one of them.

Van, I'm not at all against new methods of doing outreach. But when you start authoring confusion about the things of God, it becomes your reach and not HIS outreach. And to attempt to approach Muslims from the standpoint of similarities between Christianity and Islam is foolish at best. He's joining and partnering with that which he should not be and it ends up giving the appearance, even if he isn't, of someone who is compromising on God's truth.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons God directs us to do things a certain way.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

translation: I just make things up and expect you to chase your tail.

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

translation: I don't care if you believe it or not.:thumbsup:

6. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

In all this discussion, I have not seen a single fact posted related to Saddleback or Rick Warren, not from any credible source.

Some Christians on this board appear to be unable to wrap their mind around the fact that someone can lead people to the Lord and build a church in a different way than the old timer, hard liners in their own group did it. And they don't even realize that their way is as much of a human invention as what they are criticizing.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I realize that. People who lie and make unchristlike unfounded accusations normally don't.

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It's good to see that you understand yourself.:thumbsup:

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think mommy's calling...she needs her computer back and its almost your nap time.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hmm - accusation given with no support and apparently the support doesn't exist???

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I do not understand why anyone responds to ZAAC. As any motorcycle rider knows, it is foolishness to debate with concrete. The concrete wins every time.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Yes big brother. As soon as she pulls the bottle out your mouth and changes your diaper, I'll hand it back to her and cuddle up next to my big brother and take my nap.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen!! Such a great truth. Changing actions doesn't do much when the heart isn't changed. Thanks for that lesson for today!! AMEN!

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Hmm, too lazy to do the research myself so thus it must not be true. Sounds like the proverbial sour grapes.

15. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zaac's standard operating procedure.

I'm neutral on Rick Warren. I've followed threads involving him and here is their progression:

1. Someone posts something disparaging about Rick Warren.
    2. Someone else asks for proof or evidence of the accusations.
    3. Others pipe up and agree with the original OP claims.
    4. Others ask for proof of the allegations.
    5. No proof is given, or else lack of discernment is offered as to why the people objecting to the OP can't see the point being made.
    6. Personal attacks ensue.
    7. Thread is closed.

I do remember a thread where someone claimed that Rick Warren worshiped with Muslims and when I dug into the allegations I discovered that they were false. IIRC, I think it was around this time last year and involved Warren's suggestion that Christians should share a meal with them occasionally.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Great point :laugh:

17. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Make an allegation without proof. Proof is asked for and none is given, in fact, insults are hurled at the poster for daring to ask for proof. Sounds like proverbial trolling to me....

18. 12strings

12strings Active Member

To be fair, the Video posted included quite a few direct quotes & video of Warren speaking, so those are "facts."

It is undeniable that there are videotaped instances where RW was speaking to a group of people in which he could have shared the Gospel, and didn't...But it is also undeniable that each of us has also had opportunities to share the Gospel, but didn't. It does not prove that RW, or you and me do not believe the Gospel, but that we can all grow in our boldness at proclaiming the truth we believe.

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Stating facts. Allegations are deemed so because the ITL's of the world don't want to go look for themselves. Like good little trolls they have to have their food brought to the table and spoon fed to them.

And amazing that the scales on your eyes never see the insults thrown the other direction.

But that's what old trolls with thousands of posts do in the land of the clique.:sleep:

20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

12 strings, this has been witnessed quite a few times in his "ecumenical get togethers". I don't think it means he doesn't believe the Gospel. He just at times...a lot of times...seems to be more interested in reaching his goals instead of God's IMO. I could be wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.