1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who is the Creator of All Men?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jun 3, 2007.

1. WaltRiceJr

WaltRiceJr New Member

No, the physical cannot give birth to the spiritual. I neglected that aspect of this discussion, and you are right to point it out.

Begs the question of when the soul is created, which has been part of the anti-abortion argument for so long. If you are not rightly "the creator" of this life, you don't have the authority to end his or her existence.

The old catechism question #1 -- "Who made me? God made me."

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Amen. And that is not simply ordaining mother nature to do it either. When we as believers leave the confines of the truth of God as the direct Creator of our souls, we leave the confines of morality. If we start down the mother nature trail, or the notion that that God may have started it but has left it to some mere physical 'system,' man is reduced to nothing more than any other blob of plant or animal cells and morality becomes the mere figment of man’s every changing physical sensibilities.

We are more than physical. We are spiritual beings, created by God with a living soul. Only the Eternal God can create the spiritual. That which is flesh is flesh and that which is spirit is spirit. The flesh has a beginning and a definite end. The spirit of man comes from the eternal spirit of God and will last for all eternity.

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

Walt, would you be so kind as to take a shot at explaining to the list what this spirit or soul of man might consists of, or what powers it must incorporate to be seen as a moral being? What are some of the powers or capabilities that man possesses as a spiritual and moral being, that other animals do not have?

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm not Walt. :laugh: Could you tell?

We are created in the image of God. That totally sets us apart from any other living being ever made.

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I think I can tell you apart.:) I just had not responded to you yet.

I agree with your comment. Can you take a shot at describing some of the attributes or abilities man possesses that separate us from the rest of the animal kingdom? I am looking for abilities or attributes of the soul or spirit of man that defines us as moral beings.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

"He has become like Us, knowing good from evil" (my paraphrase)
    We know right from wrong
    We know we're going to die
    We are creative
    We are aware of self
    We are aware of God
    We laugh and cry
    We tell jokes :laugh:

Is this what you're talking about, or did I miss the point entirely? :)

#26 Amy.G, Jun 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2007
  7. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Excellent. Out of the list you gave, there are at least two important points concerning moral agency. A moral agent must have some concept of right and wrong, and Scripture tells us that even the heathen have a concept of God. Trying to stay in this vein of though, what about abilities and the opportunity to perform right and wrong? Can any man be rightfully blamed or praised if they do not possess the things we are talking about? Can one be blamed for not knowing there is a god if in fact he would have no knowledge or opportunity of such knowledge? What about right and wrong? Could one be held morally accountable if in fact they absolutely had no knowledge of right or wrong? Take that a step further. Could one be held accountable that had no abilities to perform that which right and wrong demands?