1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who Is The Morning Star?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by SpiritualMadMan, May 10, 2006.

1. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

I saw a post over on the Baptist Only section where a poster had said **Head Exploded*** and they'd be back when they regained consciousness...

Of course that got my attention. [​IMG] So, I read more...

A KJV proponent made the point that Jesus was their Morning Star not lucifer... So, I did some digging...

In the NIV the words "Morning Star" occure 4 times...

Isa 14:12 How you have fallen from heaven,
    O morning star, son of the dawn!
    You have been cast down to the earth,
    you who once laid low the nations!

2Pe 1:19 And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.

Rev 2:28 I will also give him the morning star.

Not capitalized

Rev 22:16 "I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you[1] this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star."

Capitalized

The KJV has:

Isa 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

2Pe 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

Rev 2:28 And I will give him the morning star.

Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

So far things appear a bit ambiguous...

In Isaiah 14:12 There is one surprise here... 'O Lucifer' is literally 'Morning Star' and son of the morning is repeated in both versions.

In 2 Peter 1:19 the Greek is specifically 'Morning Star' even though the KJV renders it 'Day Star'...

But, it is not a serious problem because in both cases we are talking about a persons understanding coming about...

You've seen the little light bulbs over cartoon characters heads when something finally begings to make sense? Same Idea...

Both verses in Revelations use "Morning Star"... In both Translations...

In verse 2:28 the Greek means literally Dawn Star... And, is not capitalized in the NIV or the KJV

(The KJV doesn't use capitalization to the same extent as modern translations.)

In verse 22:16 a different Greek word is used for 'Morning' this time an epithet of Venus which is an unusually Bright Star..

The NIV capitalizes it... The KJV doesn't...

So, it appears that at one time lucifer was an up and comer in heaven and at that time could be referred to as a morning star...

However, Jesus *is* The Morning Star as evidenced in Revelations by the special reference to the Brighest known 'star' at the time...

As to which is more accurate?

I'll leave that to you.

I did have to resort to Strong's to understand either version in it's fullness...

The NIV is actually more accurate (in this case) because it uses 'morning star' instead of 'O Lucifer'...

That is, it gives the literal meaning word instead of the assumed identity of lucifer...

SMM

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm glad my head's explosion helped you out!

3. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Lucifer was not a "bad name" nor was he created as a "bad angel". God declares HIMSELF as the God who dwells in unnapproachable light and describes Lucifer as "PERFECT in the day you were created UNTIL sin was found in you" - by reason of your brightness - of pride.

Lucifer "fell" to become Satan - the devil - the "serpent of old" Rev 12 - the dragon.

But that fallen state is not what God "created".

In Christ,

Bob