Who is the NRA ?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by carpro, Oct 16, 2015.

1. carpro

carpro
    Expand Collapse

The NRA has over 5 million members. With every new wave of gun control activism, their membership grows. They get almost all the funding from membership dues and donations.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/05/04/nra-meeting-lapierre-membership/2135063/

Efforts to pass gun-control legislation have only made the National Rifle Association stronger, as the membership rolls now surpass a record 5 million...

http://mic.com/articles/23929/10-surprising-facts-about-the-nra-that-you-never-hear

10 Surprising Facts About the NRA That You Never Hear

With gun control being a hot topic, in addition to the Obama administration recently unveiling 23 executive orders to address gun violence, the National Rifle Association (NRA) has been front and center in the debate against such measures.

But the NRA has a long and storied history that goes beyond just opposing additional gun control legislation and being the chief proponent of the Second Amendment in the United States. Here, we will go over 10 facts about the NRA that many don't know, in order to gain some insight into the background of the organization.

1. The NRA was originally not a civil rights organization.

2. The NRA has a history of being for gun control.

3. The NRA has a history of supporting the Civil Rights Movement.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

3 is not 10, but what are we to do?

It was originally founded to teach gun safety and marksmanship, which it still does.

Yes. The NRA has supported gun control laws that would keep the NRA in business and keep money flowing into their coffers. Remember the old adage, "Follow the money."

Of course. Every American, regardless of national origin, color, or creed has the right to keep and bear arms in defense of self and others from all enemies foreign and domestic.
    Of course, hunting is a big part of gun ownership.
    Yes. There are currently over 55,000 NRA Certified Firearms Instructors. (I am one of them, and have been for many, many years.)
    First thing I taught my kids then my grandkids. "Stop, don't touch, leave the area, tell an adult."
    Yes. It is only the radical left wing haters of the constitution, liberty, and personal freedom that hate the NRA.
    The NRA. The ILA. And the Foundation.

The NRA is about gun safety and markmanship training.

The ILA is the political/lobbying organization.

The Foundation is the charitable organization.

Only if you get your news from MSNBC. Over half the funding comes from membership dues. And most of the rest comes from voluntary contributions. Every time I buy a gun or ammunition I participate in the "Round Up" program. If my total comes to $XX.29 I round the 29 cents up to the next whole dollar amount and that amount goes to the NRA.
    Not what I would like it to be. The NRA is too willing to leave present, intrusive legislation intact. I believe a stronger attack on such infringements both legislatively, and in court, needs to be the NRA's focus.

We just did that in Texas and got the laws regarding carrying firearms openly passed for the first time since 1878. And the NRA lobbied AGAINST the most important part of the legislation (Google the Dutton Amendment).

3. carpro

carpro
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. 3 is not 10, but I wanted members to actually be interested enough to follow the url to get the others. Too much to hope for probably.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1