1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who is the righteous one?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by prophecynut, Feb 3, 2005.

1. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

Hebrews 10:19-12:29 is a call to maintain our faith in Christ and encouragement to persevere in the face of hardships and suffering. We are to be patient and confident that the promises of God will be fulfilled.

10:37 speaks of Christ's coming for the Church saints "who believe and are saved" (v.39). The different renderings of verse 38 in the various versions may be confusing.

Examples:

KJV - "Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him."

TEV - "My righteous people, however, will believe and live; but if any of them turns back, I will not be pleased with him."

NIV - "But my righteous one will live by faith. And if he shrinks back, I will not be please with him."

The NIV speaks of a righteous individual and the KJV and 'Today's English Version' includes all the righteous or just who believe. All versions above end verse 38 with "him," the objective case of "he" which the NIV correctly uses for the one who "draws" or "shrinks back." The personal pronoun "he" refers to the last person spoken of in the previous verse, which the NIV correctly renders as the "righteous one" who lives by faith. The RSV, NEB, ESV, NASB, ASV and HCSB are similar.

Verses 37-38 were adapted by the author of Hebrews from the Septuagint of Habakkuk 2:3-4, a prophet who spoke of a coming revelation about America and "the righteous" residing there. Hebrews changes it to the coming of Jesus and a righteous person. The connotation from these related Scriptures is that the "righteous one" in Hebrews is included in the "righteous" who live in America.

Based on the command by Jesus to love one another, I think this person is Barney. Who do you think he is?

2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Dr. Neil Clark Warren, who sounds a lot like Barney.