1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who likes to garden?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by abcgrad94, May 31, 2010.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just wondering how many here like to grow their own food, cook from scratch, etc?

Right now we're growing tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, corn, cucumbers, and onions in raised beds, and herbs in pots and in my "flower" garden. We live in town with a decent sized yard and enjoy watching things grow, not to mention it's a little easier on the grocery bill during the summer. If I lived in the country I'd have chickens and rabbits as well.

2. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I love to garden! We used to grow different things to eat, but we have so much shade now that not many veggies will grow. Last year we planted several tomato plants, and only got 3 or 4 tomatoes. So I only grow shade plants now. I have some blueberry bushes that are doing pretty good in spite of the shade, so I'm looking forward to picking the blueberries soon. :)

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I really enjoy it. This year we have no room for a real one, which is fine as it's giving me the opportunity to see what grows here and what kind of bugs there are. I planted a small herb garden, two flower beds, and put a few veggies out back. The breed of tomatoes I did stinks...

I'm looking forward to the possibility of a major garden undertaking next season, hopefully with community involvement. (I love the community garden concept)

My favorite thing is pea pods. I just love how they look, smell, and taste. They're beautiful plants!

If we end up moving to one place I'm thinking of, we'll probably have a few animals too. Without names, if you get my drift!

Chickens are one of my favorite animals. They always make me smile and laugh! Pretty tasty too...

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a gardener... mostly flowers but I've stattered a few tomato's, peppers squash and cucumbers in the mix ... hopefully the critters won't eat them before I've got a chance to harvest them. Grrrrrr

The asperagas season is just about over now, I probably picked my last bunch this morning. They're best eatten fresh, pop em in a pan and watch them wiggle ;)

Rob

5. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

I love to garden. I grow vegetables and fruits and I love to cook from scratch too :)
    I would be lost without a garden and a greenhouse.

6. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Oooh, you have a greenhouse! I'm just a little jealous. :laugh: My grandmother had one when I was a kid, and it was so nice to have a place to overwinter the hanging baskets, start plants from seed, etc. My grandfather built it for her. It was nothing fancy, and not very big, but it did the trick!

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I do. More later.