1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who Maketh Thee to Differ From Another

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Jan 26, 2010.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I have asked, as have others, several times of those on this Forum who hold the doctrine of Pelagianism, semi-Pelagianism, or Arminianism, all of which I characterize as Freewillism, what distinguishes those who of their own free will believe the Gospel from those who do not believe the Gospel? So far no one has effectively answered this question.

The Apostle Paul in his letter to the Church at Corinth asks a question that gets to the heart of the matter in the following Scripture.

1Corinthians 4:7. For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

2. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Indeed. They were Christians. Not dealing with what happened b4.

Also the received things were where people found themselves. Rich, poor, etc etc etc. Good study that.

#2 David Michael Harris, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
  3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeah because God is a Calvinist?!? God's not smart enough to figure things out himself and thus has to speak everything through the lens of Calvin. Right?

4. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

I have to smile but it does seem as if every Scripture quoted has Calvinism imposed upon it.

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

It is sad to watch people rip scripture from it's context for their presumed pretexts and THIS is one of the most abused by many of my reformed brethren.

The context here is speaking ONLY to and about the saved NOT the about all men in all conditions. And that which 'was received' is explictly about their giftings for the church. It is best if we keep scriptures in their context and stop trying force scripture to say, in certain places, what it was NEVER intending to say.