1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who quoted the comma?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Greektim, May 5, 2014.

1. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Jordan K., many ancient fathers quoted the comma as it appears in the KJV. I want to take him to task and argue that these are not quotations. But the other thread got derailed. So, Jordan, can you demonstrate these quotations? Or do they just appear as Trinitarian formula veiled in NT verbage just like a NT writer steeped in the OT would unconsciously use OT language?

2. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Jordan's silence an answer here? Or has he just failed to see this thread and question?

3. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry but I just do not have the time to search through Church Father's quotations.

Perhaps my sources have lied or been mistaken.

4. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just look at the ones you put on the other thread. Not one single quotation of the text in question.

5. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

The Comma was popular in the Latin mss especially of North Africa and Spain, and this is corroborated by Latin church writers from those areas who cite it. But there is no credible evidence/argument that the passage ever existed in the earliest copies of the Greek New Testament, which is the primary concern. Many doctrinal accretions entered the Latin mss even of 1 John, and the Comma has every appearance of being one of them.

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are two requirements for a legitimate witness of the Comma from the ECF.

First, no scripture necessarily has to be word for word perfect, just recognizable and called scripture (or "the word") or some indication like "according to Paul", etc...

When it comes to the Comma BOTH vs 7 and 8 must be quoted and called "scripture" (or something as above) separately.
    Anyway, It is impossible to quote it word for word in Latin as Latin has no definite article.

Although I have seen the word for word Latin quotation (or old itala) called 1 John 5:7 without the presence of vs 8.

Some (or maybe just one) old itala mss reverse 7 and 8.

It's too weary a process to go scanning through over 20,000 pages of ECF even electronically.

I'm not going to do it again, I believe I have quite a collection in the archives from a few years ago.

HankD

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

In Lynn Truss' Eats, Shoots, and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation, she states that the comma was the invention of Aristophanes of Byzantium, and was used in the ancient Greek. I've not seen any examples of the punctuation in Koine Greek, but it is entirely possible that some Greek manuscripts contain punctuation.

As an aside, if anyone wants to know Truss' panda joke that illustrates the necessity of punctuation, let me know.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Off-topic for sure!

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

:laugh: I know. People taking this thing way too seriously, both on this thread, and the one that got derailed and abandoned.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, when it comes to the word of God concerning additions and/or omissions things can get out of hand.

HankD