1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Who Reigns

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Clearly not!!
    It doesn't even come close!

14 And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

This world is being destroyed as we speak. Take a look, not only at Israel, but at the Ukraine, Sudan, Nigeria, and the other troubled areas of the world. The kingdoms of this world are not serving Christ; they are in rebellion to Him.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

A message from God through the Apostle Paul:

Acts 7:22-28
    22. Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars’ hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
    23. For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.
    24. God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
    25. Neither is worshipped with men’s hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
    26. And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
    27. That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
    28. For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

1. God is LORD of heaven and earth.

2. In Him we live, and move, and have our being. If God is not Sovereign do we live and move and have our being? I say NO!

And one more time:

Colossians 1:16, 17 NASB
    16. For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created by Him and for Him.
    17. And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.

Please notice verse 17: in Him all things hold together.

If God were not Sovereign the world would cease to exist. We see this same thought in the following Scripture:

Hebrews 1:1-3
    1. God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
    2. Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
    3. Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

God the Son upholding all things by the word of his power,

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No one denies that God is sovereign. We all believe that; and no one said otherwise. So why the empty rhetoric??

God is sovereign, meaning that he knows all and without His knowledge there is nothing that happens.
    We are all not petty little robots programmed by God with absolutely no free will, or puppets on strings with God manipulating them. He is allowing Satan to be the god of this world, and thus it is Satan that is reigning, and not Christ.

You have not answered for those verses that Dr. Bob so clearly and plainly laid out for you. Satan is the god of this world. He is the one that rules on this earth right now. That is the teaching of Scripture.

4. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

:laugh: I gotcha.

I used to be the same, I never could get the hang of typing until my time spent flying a desk in the Air Force. ;)

I'll be praying for the health of your eyes brother.

:thumbsup: Good stuff.

And of course the entire New Testament confirms that Christ received the Kingdom at the ascension.

Act 2:33-36 HCSB - Therefore, since He has been exalted to the right hand of God and has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit, He has poured out what you both see and hear. For it was not David who ascended into the heavens, but he himself says: The Lord declared to my Lord, 'Sit at My right hand until I make Your enemies Your footstool.' "Therefore let all the house of Israel know with certainty that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah! " ​

Jesus was exalted to the throne at the ascension and made, by the Father, "both Lord and Christ (Messiah HCSB)." He reigns, clearly. What other point could Peter even have? Why else quote David's Psalm which presents the Messiah as a Priestly King who rules over/in the midst of his enemies?

Eph 1:20-23 HCSB - He demonstrated this power in the Messiah by raising Him from the dead and seating Him at His right hand in the heavens -- far above every ruler and authority, power and dominion, and every title given, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And He put everything under His feet and appointed Him as head over everything for the church, which is His body, the fullness of the One who fills all things in every way. ​

I quoted this earlier and it was ignored. Clearly Paul sees Christ as having been raised up to take authority over his kingdom. Christ rules "far above every ruler and authority, power and dominion, and every title given". There is nothing that isn't subject to Christ. To quote Abraham Kuyper, "There is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry, Mine!" And this rule is not only in the future, but is a present reality extending into eternity, he reigns "not only in this age but also in the one to come." Amen.

Phl 2:8-11 HCSB - He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death -- even to death on a cross. For this reason God highly exalted Him and gave Him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow -- of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth -- and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. ​

I don't think this even needs my commentary.

1Pe 3:22 HCSB - Now that He has gone into heaven, He is at God's right hand with angels, authorities, and powers subject to Him. ​

Or this. Just read it.

5. OldRegular

That last verse from 1 Peter should be sufficient because it speaks so clearly; but it will not make any difference to the nay sayers!

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Excellent Scriptures.
    What is the ministry of Christ while he sits on the right hand of the throne of God. What is his ministry right now?

Hebrews 8:1 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;

Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
    26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;

Hebrews 4:14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
    15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
    16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

He is our Intercessor, our Great High Priest, our Advocate, our Mediator, everliving to make intercession for us.
    He is not reigning. He is making intercession for us.

This wicked world is in the hand of Satan. Some day He will come and conquer Satan and his minions once and for all. Until that time he ever lives to make intercession for his elect. (The RCC has Mary; we have Christ).

7. OldRegular

And then there is this clear teaching regarding the binding of Satan.

Matthew 12:24-32
    24. But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
    25. And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
    26. And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
    27. And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
    28. But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
    29. Or else how can one enter into a strong man’s house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

30. He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
    31. Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
    32. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

8. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

In no way at all do I mean to lessen the aspect of Christ's ministry as our Great High Priest and Intercessor. However you are forcing a false dichotomy into the roles of Christ. He is both, presently, High Priest and King. His exaltation to the Father's right hand was not solely for the purpose of interceding for the saints, but it is also a place of authority from which he reigns in the midst of his enemies. I don't see how you can possible read those passages and say he is not now reigning when they explicitly say he is. For a third time;

Eph 1:20-23 HCSB - He demonstrated this power in the Messiah by raising Him from the dead and seating Him at His right hand in the heavens -- far above every ruler and authority, power and dominion, and every title given, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And He put everything under His feet and appointed Him as head over everything for the church, which is His body, the fullness of the One who fills all things in every way. ​

If that doesn't mean he reigns, then what does it mean?

The raising of Jesus to the Father's right hand is seen here as placing him above all rulers, authority, power and dominion, meaning that Jesus is the supreme ruler, has supreme authority, has all power, and exercises complete dominion. In short, Christ is sovereign, Christ reigns supreme over all.

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :BangHead:
    We should read scripture not the newspapers to see why the gospel is spreading worldwide.Christ is ruling in the midst of His enemies.

Your view of God is defective.He is not just a spectator.

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You and Bosley are right on the truth. Some have a failed eschatology. ..and their system prevents them from coming to truth.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I never said God was a spectator.
    Your view of the sovereignty of God and the events of this world is defective. But that goes hand in hand with the hard determinism of Calvinism.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In isa46......he did not describe God as just knowing something is happening. ...He is in absolute control.....Satan does not reign.He opposes the reign in a limited fashion.

Your theology is in trouble in so many ways it is mind boggling.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are the one that entertains a false dichotomy. Go back to Dr. Bob's initial post and deal with the verses that he posted one by one. Reconcile them with the Scripture you posted. Where is the dichotomy. It is in the fact that you can't reconcile the fact the the Bible clearly states that Satan is the god of this world, and reigns over it.
    Scripture does not contradict scripture so someone is wrong. I don't believe it is me.

Jesus indeed was raised to the Father's right hand. That doesn't mean that he has right now "taken" control of the world. He will come again to rule and reign over the world, but obviously is not ruling now. He has authority to do so, if he so wills. And when he wills he, will come. It is in His power to do so. That time He has set, and no one on earth knows the time of his coming, but we do have that promise. This does not negate His authority.
    For a period of time he has allowed Satan to rule and reign over this earth as Scripture says. Those are the facts. But He will come and set up his kingdom. Thus he taught his disciples to pray: "Thy kingdom come."

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am not sure you could give a right description of the teaching.How can you be critical of what you do not grasp.

15. OldRegular

The problem with some is that they confuse their concept of Jesus Christ ruling in the "earthly" Jewish millennium with the Sovereign rule of God.

16. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Do you understand what a false dichotomy is? I'm saying Jesus is both reigning and interceding. You are saying it's only one not both. I'll let you figure out which is a dichotomy.

Satan being "god of this world" does not equal reigning over it. That's a non sequitur.

I also suggest you go back and deal with the verses I posted.

You're wrong.

Then what does Eph 1 :20-23 mean? What on earth does being seated "far above every ruler and authority, power and dominion" mean to you!?

I actually believe in a future millennium remember? But the future reign on earth does not negate his present reign from the Father's right hand.

17. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent post on the current reign of Christ. You are spot on.

18. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually it's a trichotomy in the sense of Prophet, Priest, and King.

19. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Thank you sir.

Yes but surely you agree the Lord is all three simultaneously?

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is not. It is significant and relevant scripture to reckon with that you are avoiding and cannot harmonize with the Scripture you are posting. You can only see the sovereignty of God and are blind to almost everything else in the Bible, or so it seems.
    Christ is the King of kings. He is exalted, as the Scripture describes.
    But there is coming a day when every person will acknowledge him as that King. It is obviously not now.

Philippians 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
    10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
    11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

He is exalted now. But not every knee is bowed and not every tongue is confessing that Christ is Lord. That is future.

Paul refers to a future judgment:
    Romans 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
    12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
    --It is not now.

Presently there are over one billion Muslims that consider every Christian an infidel. That is not bowing the knee to Christ or acknowledging him as Lord, is it?
    And not until that time comes will Christ reign on this earth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.