1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who should be the NBA season MVP?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Apr 4, 2006.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Some say Steve Nash others say Chauncy Billups. I have heard other names tossed around too- who do you think is this years NBA MVP?

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I don't think Nash should be the MVP this year. I would say it should come down to Billups and Dirk from Dallas. I think he gets overlooked by many in this conversation.

I also think that Billups suffers from the fact that he has such good players around him in their starting lineup.

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Dirk does get overlooked, he is certainly a key cog in the Mav's machienery. Billups does have great players surrounding him, but when you look at the numbers he has consitently put up, and look back on games where he was the x-factor in winning, he certianly is of MVP caliber.

Why not Nash just out of curiosity?

4. PastorSBC1303

To me, Nash just hasn't played at the same level as he did last year. But I guess you could argue that he has been even more valueable this year with the absence of Amare.

I agree that Billups is MVP caliber. I just mean that he does not stand out as much with the Pistons because he has so many good players around him.

I have a friend who is a big time Dallas fan and he argues that Dirk gets overlooked because he is not the flashy player that many are. And I think he makes a lot of sense. You look at Dirk's numbers and he has to be considered. I also think of all the candidates, Dirk means the most to his team. If you take him off Dallas they are no where near as good.

5. Convicted by the Spirit

Most valuable player ... meaning the player you could remove and cause the team to sink the most.

Billups is a great player on a team full of great players. I realize he has put up some great numbers, but I don't see him winning the award. Plus the Pistons could win a lot of games without him.

Dirk has put up great numbers, BUT!!! His numbers look exactly like last year except his steals are over 1 a game. This year he has his team winning and if you remove Dirk then you could argue the Mavs would not even be playoff bound.

Nash is averaging more points and rebounds, but his assists are down by 1 a game. But! he has the suns winning even win everyone (including me) said the sun would be setting early in the season. Without Nash the suns would be a bottom dweller.

My choice:

Lebron James, the cavs would be lottery bound without him. His numbers are off the chart. A fantasy guy's dream. 3rd in ppg, 17th in steals per game, 1st in minutes played, 1st in triple-doubles and his team has a 4th seed behind the best team in the league. His numbers have only gotten better since coming in to the league and he will only get better. The cavs have only gotten better also and will only get better.

This year's MVP could go to just about anyone. If James does not win it then I hope Dirk does.

6. PastorSBC1303

I disagree. Even without Nash the Suns have some good talent, especially in Marion.

I think if you remove Dirk from the Mavs they are the worse off.

I can't really argue with your pick of James. He has been great.

7. Convicted by the Spirit

Well, the Suns and Mavs both have talent no doubts. But I am thinking if you remove Nash then who dould step up and be the leader of the team? Marion is a gifted athelte but a leader?

Picking the MVP will be tough this year ... it would be nice to see Dirk get the award because you know here in the next few years that Lebron will get a few and Dirk's best chance seems to be now.

8. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I disagree. Even without Nash the Suns have some good talent, especially in Marion.

I think if you remove Dirk from the Mavs they are the worse off.

I can't really argue with your pick of James. He has been great.
    </font>[/QUOTE]True true. The Suns have plenty of talent if Nash is excluded.

James has been great, but he almost always is great.

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

[QUOTE Billups is a great player on a team full of great players. I realize he has put up some great numbers, but I don't see him winning the award. Plus the Pistons could win a lot of games without him. ] [/QUOTE]

I disagree. The Pistons starters are what makes them good, it is a recognized thing that if one of them were removed, they would not be the same team.

They have played together for several years and if you remove one cog in the wheel it won't work properly, especially if that happens to be the main one. Billups is the leader that helps keep Detroit cool under pressure. There is a reason he is nick-named "Mr. Big Shot".

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

You're exactly right.

I can't believe that I'm agreeing with a Pistons fan. [​IMG]

11. PastorSBC1303

ccr, [​IMG] I know it, I hate when I have to do that as well.

12. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

I'm Pistons fan. I would like to see Billups to be MVP this season. He is everything, not just "Mr. Shot". he assists to many players. I consider, Pistons' five starters is the best start team ever in NBA.

But, last night, Rasheed Wallace was suspended from that game because of received 16th techincal fouls of the season from last Sunday's game. Pistons played without Rasheed, they were doing fine. The bench of Pistons played great last night. The bench received 36 points against Hornets.

Pistons is a great team work together. I confident that Pistons will win it all in June.

I consider James LeBron should be deserve to be MVP this season, because he brought his team to playoff first time in 8 years. That's wonderful for him. He worsk so hard for his team. He should be desreve for MVP.

I hope not that Kobe Bryant shall get MVP this season, because of his ego.

By the way, I heard that James Lebron is a born again Christian. Is that true?

GO PISTONS!!! [​IMG]

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

13. PastorSBC1303

Let's not get crazy.

I have not heard that. I hope it is true.

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Let's not get crazy.

I have not heard that. I hope it is true.
    </font>[/QUOTE]They are the best starting five in the NBA, but that is not the same as saying they are the best in the NBA (all thought that is what I think as well :D ).

The Pistons do not have the depth that other teams have off the bench with the exception of Antonio McDyse (spl?) He could arguably be the best sixth man in the game when he is hot.

15. PastorSBC1303

The Pistons starting 5 are clearly the best starting 5 in the NBA today. But to say they are the greatest starting 5 ever is a stretch in my book.

16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Better than these lineups?

C-Robert Parish
    F-Kevin McHale
    F-Larry Bird
    G-Dennis Johnson
    G-Danny Ainge

C-Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    F-Kurt Rambis
    F-James Worthy
    G-Byron Scott
    G-Magic Johnson

C-Luc Longley
    F-Dennis Rodman
    F-Scottie Pippen
    G-Ron Harper
    G-Michael Jordan

I have a hard time putting Luc Longley in the same post as Kareem and Chief, but Kurt Rambis is in, and it's more difficult not to include the 2nd of the 3-peat teams. The other 4 guys made up for the deficiencies of 1.

17. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I agree. Only time will tell how good a starting five they are.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

Or the '83 76ers...

C-Moses Malone
    F-Bobby Jones
    F-Julius Erving
    G-Maurice Cheeks
    G-Andrew Toney

19. PastorSBC1303

As I was thinking about it, this line up is the first one that came to mind. But the Lakers, Bulls and 76er lineups were tough. And I would think you would have to throw in some of the Celtic starting 5 from Bill Russell's era.

20. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

DIRK!!!

I think the best starting 5 was the showtime lakers with kareem, magic, cooper, worthy and byron scott