1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured WHO should Pastor's Allow to Speak to their Congregations?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Zaac, Sep 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IE.....Baptismal Regeneration

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Yes, but many are saved in spite of that teaching. Just as many are saved in spite of the preaching (and lifestyle) of many Baptists.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hah....somehow that is a provocative answer. I like it:thumbs:

4. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

Some serious research into Church of a christ teachings and history would make me against allowing them opportunity to sway a Baptist congregation. The DD guys are CoC and if they believe their church teachings then they believe Baptist are all going to HELL because they don't belong to the CoC. A big CoC talking point is that you can't find the Baptist church in the Bible. Would you want these guys saying this?? ( btw you can't find the cambellite church in the bible either).

I

5. Herald

Herald New Member

That is not my point. Would you invite someone who holds to such a serious error to speak at your church?

6. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Re-posting This Cause It Seemed To Be Ignored...

I've re-posted this because it appeared late on page three and I don't think that some who picked up the discussion after then might have seen it. While I have nothing personally against the DD clan, I do think Christians need to be very careful about the type of "role-models" we bring before our young people.

Bro.Greg:saint:

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

:applause: Not just before the young people, but the old too. We in the Church seem to be very fickle of late about what we will tolerate as long as it appears to be moral and doesn't mention its wrong theology.

But if we allow a Mormon or a Jehovah's witness or anyone whose doctrine does not align with God's word a platform to speak before our people as long as they don't speak on their wrong doctrine, to some it is still going to look as though we are condoning what they believe.

It's like President Obama sitting underneath the teachings of Jeremiah Wright for 20 years. You sit there and listen to someone who believes certain things and somebody is gonna start to think you do to no matter whether it's actually spoken of or not.

But we are told to make disciples teaching them to obey everything that God has commanded. Not just some of the things

8. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

Church of Christ members think Baptist are going to HELL for not belonging to the " true church". What more is there to say about COC members speaking to Baptist? I say Wolves in Sheeps clothing

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Personally, no I would not.

But I wouldn't picket the church of a brother that does, and I would praise the Lord for every true convert to the Kingdom of God that comes about as a result of the testimony of the DD clan.

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I know plenty of COC people and none has ever told me this. Do you have an official quote or something?

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You got connections right Mex....why dont you get that confirmed or denied by someone of authority in the CoC. If thats fact, then its in writing somewhere.....FORCE OF FACTS (Knowing or not knowing).

12. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OP reminded me of a rather large IFB church that had a "big day" back when Tom Landry was the coach of the Cowboys.

On that Sunday morning, Roger Staubach spoke from the pulpit.

The pastor had just heard he was a Christian - didn't check to find out he was a Catholic until someone happened to mention it during the next week.

:(

Every pigskin hurled into the air as a last-second attempt to win is labeled a “Hail Mary pass.” In other words, the toss goes heavenward alongside a prayer that the ball will be miraculously snagged in the end zone.

The original use of the phrase came from Roger Staubach, the Catholic quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys. As the final seconds ticked away in a December 28, 1975, playoff game against the Minnesota Vikings, Staubach planted his cleats at midfield and heaved a long pass. It was caught for the winning touchdown.

After the victory, he said to the media, “I closed my eyes and said a Hail Mary.”

The QB meant it literally. Staubach, a two-time Super Bowl champ, has always been public about his faith, opposing abortion and speaking to young people about living their Christian beliefs. Catholic News Service reported in 1994 that he told high school students: “You should change your priorities because you have a responsibility to yourself and to Almighty God. Give a darn about somebody else.” (copied from Great Catholic Moments)

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    COC members across the country are not a monolithic group. I would be careful with that broad brush. The area in which I live is predominately COC. None of the ones that I have met hold to that.

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

My "connections" tell me that what Johnny Reb said is not representative of their beliefs. That's why I asked him where he heard it.

Abraham Lincoln once said, "87% of facts are made up out of thin air."

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "87% of facts are made up out of thin air," and this statement may be one of them. :)

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Kinda obvious, wasn't it?:laugh:

17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To answer the OP>>>

Pastors should have person sspeaking from the pulpit who are really saved, and whose doctrines are within orthodoxy!

I may not agree all that a Norman geisler or a RC Sprould might hold to, but think either one could speak in our church!

And see no problem with Sadie soeaking to her peers, IF she does not state must be batised, but just goes over Christian values/morals!

#57 Yeshua1, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
  18. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Who was it who said, "ALL generalities are FALSE ..... including this one!!!!"

:smilewinkgrin: :BangHead:

19. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

CoC members will be respectful to you and most of them I know if you belong to another faith will not tell you much about what they really think about your faith. I worked with a CoC member that was a friend of mine that was at one time a Baptist but because of his wife's constant nagging he joined the CoC. He would tell me on Monday morning how that they preached against Baptist. This friends sister once visited the CoC church and she left in tears because they told her she was going to hell if she didn't get out of the Baptist church. Rev you and Mex believe what you want to but if you really want to know what they believe, talk to one and pin him down on the issue.

#59 salzer mtn, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
  20. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I were pastoring a Primitive Baptist church today, I wouldn't allow any PB to preach who held to Absolute Predestination. There are those who do, but I think most old timer PB's have them identified so it wouldn't be a problem. I know I wouldn't want a PB preacher based somewhere in Indiana to preach, because they hold to a no-hell doctrine in that church.
    Heck, when I was pastoring a PB church some years ago, I didn't even want that church to be associated with the modernism that tried to bite into our people at that time like it tried to during the Black Rock address era.
    But looking at some of the answers here, like the ones about the CoC I couldn't help but shake my head and sigh.
    How sure are we that the doctrines we hold on to today, regardless of Baptist denomination, would be accepted into fellowship by the churches that sprouted out and branched off from the Jerusalem church down through the ages ?
    Or how sure are we that we would allow offshoots of even, say, 5th century churches into our pulpits ?
    Not to say denominations are not good, they are, like doctrines
    Helps to keep purity of denominational doctrines within, and if the New Testament church is to be the pattern, well, I would say it certainly is encouraged, but we need to keep in mind the why by considering the context in which they lived, then.
    But if doctrines are to be the bases for our judging who is redeemed and saved andwho is not, especially among those of other denominational churches, well, we'd be kicking each other out of heaven, for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.