1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who told us it is a Sin to Drink?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ituttut, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I noticed you, too. Happy Thanksgiving!!:thumbs::thumbs::jesus:

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In AA, that is called taking someone else's inventory & expressly forbidden. For thanksgiving there are various AA Meetings designed to help those that can & do fall off the wagon. I invite you to attend.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You were right, and I did. Thanks.

4. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Been missing you. I too don't think that we can be a good witness. I don;t drink because I felt convicted over it so for me it would be a sin.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

For some people, you might be a better witness with a Bud in your hand. Many thousands have clammed up against Christian witness because they perceive Christians to be Pharisaical kill joys.

Christ ate and DRANK with sinners. The Pharisees called him a glutton and winebibber for it but the common man flocked to him by the droves, didn't they?

In much of Europe millions of Christians drink wine like we drink tea. They are not concerned for their witness over their because the teetotalism movement has not so stigmatized that which God has never condemned- indeed that which God has commended.

#65 Luke2427, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2010
  6. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Remember that Bud Light has the presence of "GHT." Miller is the one without it.

Seriously, I have been a good witness many a time by doing this, although usually with a Guinness or a Maker's Mark sour.

7. DixieBoy

DixieBoy New Member

I take it we should not dwell in houses too. :smilewinkgrin:

8. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Why not? Are you a Rechabite?

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing like a Guinness & a roast beef or corned beef sandwich with french fries & good company. :thumbs:

10. DixieBoy

DixieBoy New Member

I've been called a lot of names but, never a Rechabite. :tongue3:

That's just what I had for lunch today corned beef sandwich and fries. Icehouse, instead of Guinness though.

11. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

I can not get away from the scripture in Romans 14

21[It is] good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor [any thing] whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

I understand that this doesn't say that drinking is a sin, but it does say that it is not good if in offends a brother

22 Hast thou faith? have [it] to thyself before God. Happy [is] he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because [he eateth] not of faith: for whatsoever [is] not of faith is sin.

I believe that if you have any doubts with what you eat or drink then it would be a sin to you to partake.

Before I repented, I drank. Although I wasn't an alcoholic, I didn't know when to quit when I did drink. I feel that I came under conviction for drinking for this reason. I haven't drank since Jan 1981 and I haven't missed it. I know that the Lord had to help me. When He forgave me of my sins, I lost my desire for drink.

God Bless :praying:

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Letters Of Charles Haddon Spurgeon (Banner of Truth Trust).

March 15,1882

Dear Friends,

I am exceedingly sorry to be absent from this first meeting to form the Tabernacle Total Abstinence Society...I sincerely believe that, next to the preaching of the gospel, the most necessary thing to be done in England is to induce our people to become total abstainers. I hope this Society will do something when it is started.I don't want you to wear a lot of peacocks' feathers and putty medals, nor to be always trying to convert the moderate drinkers, but to go in for winning the real drunkards,and bringing the poor enslaved creatures to the feet of Jesus,who can give them liberty...

Yours teetotally,
    C.H. Spurgeon

I am responsible for the bold wording.

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I disagree with Luther about transubstantiation,

I disagree with Calvin and Augustine about infant baptism,

I disagree with Wesley about Arminianism,

I disagree with Jonathan Edwards about... um... ummm... well maybe that's not a good one!

So I guess even the greats can be ever so slightly off in some area.

Nobody bats a thousand.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will drink to that! Cheers..... By the way ask Chuckie about his Cigar habit

15. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Old Union Brother should we met, eat, and drink, I would abstain just as Paul says. I have freedom, and liberty in my salvation to do as God allows. But I would not wish to hurt one in Christ Jesus who does not want to avail themselves of what is on the menu.

16. ituttut

ituttut New Member

A man speaks his mind.

17. SRBooe

SRBooe New Member

I enjoy wine and an occasional beer.

I also am apt to start having too good a time, so for me, IF I have a glass; I have to remind myself of my limits.

Others don't have that problem, but I do. My own beliefs and desire to avoid drunkeness and sin guides my actions.

Wasn't there a post about Baptists being biblical? If so, should not the argument stop about the time that the Bible's words were quoted? It didn't, though. Nope, then we started quoting man and making assumptions. That is when the problems start, huh?

18. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    don't look at me. I like to drink.......diet soda.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    this is all nonsense, those that can enjoy an occasional drink, wine, beer whatever should without any guilt feelings. If you cant control yourself, just dont drink...you know who you are. And if your problem is messing with your life, dont sluff it off or sweep it under the rug. AA meetings are a good way to get together with fellow problem drinkers & address your problem. God knows your not alone & it's nothing to be ashamed of. President Bush recently admitted he has a problem. Drinking can & will be a nightmare for an alcoholic......but there are ways to abstain & obtain help. Like the Nike commercial "Just do it"

20. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Good stuff. Let's go get a beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.