1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Who Walks In The Light?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Stegley, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Stegley

Stegley New Member

I want to be sure I understand what you just said. You stated you have the light of God "as Jesus saw (and sees) truth."

Is that a completely correct statement about yourself and the Light?

2. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

The statement as I said it is totally correct. I have the light of God to reveal truth, as Jesus saw (and sees) truth. God provided the light to see truth. Do I always see it? No. But I am walking in the light and have the ability (given God's light) to see it.

But, just like we stub our toe physically, even in broad daylight, we can trip up while walking in this spiritual light. Just because you fail to see truth does not mean you didn't have the light (ability) to.

Edited to add: by "you" in my last statement, I didn't literally mean "you". I should have said "one". My apologies for any wrong message sent.

#22 Sapper Woody, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
  3. Stegley

Stegley New Member

Woops. Resorting to ad hominem is not part of Agape.

Remember, there are posting rules and guidelines in here, given as if they superceed how Jesus responded responded to questions. I was hoping to find more than a shallowness propped up by modern church custom and yes-men. There is no need to be offended or fearful. Christ's Shield of Faith will guard your tenderest believances, will it not? And, if it does not, then those beliefs are not what God wishes to protect. Trim-trim.

Let's step away from your little tit-for-tat name calling. Tell us how you walk in the Light just "as" Jesus "is" in the light. Remember, Jesus does not need to be in the Light for forgiveness of any sin, so that means the sin question is not part of this Thread

Understand what I just shared? Speak kindly, now. Imitate Jesus' kindness, just "as" He "is" in the Light.

4. Stegley

Stegley New Member

Perhaps it is now time for you to know that no Scripture speaks of Christ's Followers having an intermittant Light in them because of your theorized "toe stubbing." Scripture cannot be interpreted by means of your human experiences and errors.

It sure is a good thing you brought this up.

5. Sapper Woody

When I stub my toe in daylight, it's not because the daylight went away for a bit. It's because I didn't watch where I was going. I didn't use the light to check my path.

Same way with God's light showing me the truth. It's always there, and I'm always walking in it. I just have to use it to see the truth. There's nothing intermittent about the light. Only my use of it.

6. Jacob_Elliott

Jacob_Elliott New Member

May God bless you!

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

It depends on what your definition of the word "is" is. :)

8. Stegley

Stegley New Member

Fabricating and manipulating an analogy gives neither proof nor rationale for any Truth. I'm so sorry to have to inform you of this.

Are you walking in the Light right now?

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quaker, huh?

Okay, I'll bite: what does it mean to walk in the light?

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

The clear context of the whole paragraph makes it clear we make choices every day.

1 John 1, NASB
    5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.
    6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth;
    7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
    8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
    9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us. ​
    I think Oswald Chambers' writings, as compiled by his wife after his death in My Utmost for His Highest best illustrates the meaning of the passage.
    What Chambers suggested is not possible 100% of the time. Being human, we falter, fail, and must be picked up, dusted off, and set on the path again by the Master. But our time in the Light can get more consistent, longer in duration between stumbles, and can encourage those around us. The most godly man on earth still sins. But his sinful behaviors are fewer and farther between as he learns to "walk in the Light" rather than stumble in the darkness.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs::thumbs:

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe "walking in the light" qualifies for an over-simplification:

Light reveals. I believe it is a metaphor for walking according to the scriptures.

Psalm 119:105 NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

When we willfully sin we are walking in darkness.

1 John 2:9 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.​

When we are watching our path and seeking direction from God we are walking in the light and we will not stumble at the unforseen temptation.

1 John 2:10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.​

Psalm 119:105 NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

HankD​

13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, this study has meant a lot to me this morning as I have intensely looked at this passage. This has been my Bible study for the morning and will be my meditation for the day.

I am walking in the Light. I know many, many Christians who are walking in the Light. Walking in the Light doesn't mean sinless perfection. It refers to perseverance and running the race and obedience to God. I'll show you.

The context of walking in the Light and the meaning of "walking" is very important.

Here's the progression that I see:

• God IS Light (φῶς - "phōs" = the brilliance and purity of spiritual truth and moral truth) - God possesses NO darkness (σκοτία - "skotia" = the ignorance of divine things and the association with wickedness and misery due to a want (lack) of the light)

• If we claim to fellowship (κοινωνία - "koinōnia" = an intimate participation and communion with) with God and yet we walk (περιπατέω - "peripateō" = to make one's way in life; to progress; to conduct one's self; to regulate one's life) in the darkness, then we are OBVIOUS liars.

• But on the contrary, if we "progress" and "conduct/regulate ourselves" IN "the brillliance and purity of God's divine moral truth", just as this is where God is then not only can we have this most intimate communion with each other, but Jesus Christ's blood will wash away all of our sin.

• We can't claim sinless perfection, but if we do confess the sins in our lives, we will be forgiven them and cleansed.

14. Sapper Woody

That's where your wrong. It does give rationale. It's an understandable way to explain a truth. Second, I answered your question.

15. thisnumbersdisconnected

Nice. 21 posts and he's already challenging the authority of BB administrators. >>click<<

16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I John 1:7 NKJV
    But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

(Happens to be the verse of the day in You Bible.)

Since I have fellowship with other believers and since my sins have been forgiven I believe that, yes, I am walking in the light.

If you say I am not, then I know I will be in New Jerusalem.

Revelation 21:23-24 NKJV
    The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb is its light. And the nations of those who are saved shall walk in its light, and the kings of the earth bring their glory and honor into it.

17. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Wow, what a wonderful OP and thread. :laugh:

Schmedley, tell us, do you walk in the light as he is in the light?

[​IMG]

18. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Stegley

Stegley,

The Apostle paul described this walking in the light in this way;
    12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

We are translated out of the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of light.

10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

11 Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:

13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

At regeneration we are given a new heart which desires to obey the ten commandments as expressed fully in God's law/word.
    Law keeping is a large part of our new identity as image bearers of God.

Jesus is the true express image of God.believers are predestined to be conformed to His image.This side of glorification no believer will be sinless as our bodies are not yet glorified.

We are responsible to perfectly keep God's law daily.Any want of conformity to the revealed law of God is sin.

14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God;:thumbs:
    No one other than jesus walks sinless in this life.

Jesus is Jesus...we are not:thumbs:

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Responses like this indicate one is NOT walking in the light.

20. Stegley

Stegley New Member

Yes. God marvelously continues to bless me, my family, and His Word as it operates.

Do you walk in the Light as Jesus "is" in the Light? Blessing other people through Godly imperative is wonderful, but the topic here centers upon whether or not anyone in this Forum knows someone who walks in in the Light as Jesus "is" in the light. Do you have an answer?