1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who was the first Christian?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Gup20, Dec 16, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That only says they were first called Christians there, not that they were the first Christians.

2. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ah... good point.

My meaning, however, is who was the first person the Bible records as being saved by faith in Christ (the "meaning" of Christian) regardless of what they were called at the time.

I believe this was Abraham who was the first under the covenant of promise, rather than The Law. (gal 4:24, Gen 15)

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think Adam and Eve were the first saved people.

There's also Gen 4.26 to consider:
    Then men began to call upon the name of the LORD

4. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

And what is that will?

Hbr 11:6 But without faith [it is] impossible to please [him]: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and [that] he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Can you show me any scripture that supports the idea that Adam and Eve were the first saved people?

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Dunno' about that, necessarily, but I'm pretty sure no one was saved before Adam and Eve were around. :rolleyes:

AND I'm also absolutely certain that their second son, Abel, was saved, as well. In fact, he is one of only three individuals the Bible identifies three different times as being a righteous or just individual, along with Noah and Lot. :thumbs:

The best I can figure, that makes it a martyr, a drunken sailor, and the Mayor of Sodom. :D :laugh:

Ed

#25 EdSutton, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2008
  6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think Gen 4.26 is significant in that it showed people knew the Lord. This does not mean all were saved but I think it indicates there were saved people in contrast to the wicked. And we also have Enoch in Gen 5:

22Then Enoch walked with God three hundred years after he became the father of Methuselah, and he had other sons and daughters.
    23So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years. 24Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.

I think it is clear Enoch was saved.

Adam and Eve had their sin symbolically covered by God when he killed animals (the first killing of animals) and covered them with the skins. I believe this indicates God's grace in salvation. There is nothing I see to indicate they were lost.

Also, Adam was a "type" prefiguring Christ. I do not think a lost man would be used to prefigure Christ.