1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who wears a tie to church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 10, 2011.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Of course He does - but need a wear a suit to show Him respect? A lot of folks wear suits who totally disrepect the Lord - even in church.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Ding! Ding! Ding!!!

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Mine too :) Plus mine are not in style now

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

The first major league baseball game I went to in DC in the 50's, I would say 75% or more of the men wore a suit, tie and hat as well as the first NFL game in DC, also in the 50's. Guess what I didn't see drunks at those games either.

Times change and so has dress, but don't tell me how hot it is, I don't think I ever had a church or went to a church that had A/C till the late 70's and at that point of time most wore their best, ever what that was, might be a pair of bib overhauls, a suit or some where in between.

Most people I know in the 50's and 60's dressed for their wedding the same as they did for church, I know it was true for my wife and I. But times change. If one does not like how folks dress where he goes to church and it causes him trouble, find another church.

We don't dress as they did in the 1500's and on things change.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Well, for the ditch-cleaner position I wore jeans and a t-shirt that emphasized my muscles.

For the foreman position I wore jeans and a polo shirt.

For the teacher position I wore dress pants and a polo shirt.

For the pastor position I wore dress pants and a polo shirt.

For church I wear dress pants and a polo shirt. Occasionally during the winter if it is cold enough I may wear a sports coat. And if I feel like remembering the old days, I'll throw a tie on just for fun and to hear the little kids come up and say, "Pastor, what is that thing you are wearing?"

The only occasions that require a suit and tie are to "bury 'em and marry 'em." Even then it is not de rigeur here.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There ya go. Your dress choices carried a message.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Yes- I dressed like the people around me dress, not like someone from the 1950's.

8. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always wear a tie and suit for a funeral because the families usually expect that. But it's been a long time since I've seen the majority or even half the people at a funeral in a suit. Did a funeral last Sunday and out of 75 people there, I was the only person in a suit. One of the adult sons was wearing nice shorts and a polo, the other adult son apparently had stolen your polo shirt and dress pants... he had on flip flops to complete the outfit... :tongue3:

9. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

I never wear a suit or tie to church.... LOL However, I do dress modestly and femininely in what I feel is ladylike attire to church. I was raised in an era when women still wore hats and gloves, heels and hose and men wore suits and ties. While I understand that dress has relaxed considerably since those days I still think we should present ourselves in attire that sets us apart from what the general public would wear on a Sunday to go fishing, shopping, to the beach, etc. I have been in churches where the pastor got up in a pair of cargo shorts, tank top and flip flops, while our pastor wouldn't step into the pulpit without a suit and tie.

My personal opinion is ....we're to give of our best to the Master. I believe that includes our attire when we gather to worship in His house on Sundays.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rather than asking whats appropriate, perhaps we should make a list of inappropriate garb. Like personally Flip- Flops are a NO NO. I also dont think Pastors & Deacons should wear shorts. I dont wear shorts to church---something in being over 50 precludes me from it, nor would I wear sweat pants or running wear. I will wear jeans & a nice shirt however & on occasion a sports jacket. I have given instructions to my wife not to bury me in a suit & tie (While I like to dress up sometimes, rarely these days, that garb is totally inappropriate for my own burial). I may add the addendum that the undertaker & Pastor NOT wear suits.

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I have never work flip-flops except to the beach or around the house- don't have the feet for them.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So try a pair of "Crocs" you will love them. My kid laughs at me cause I wear them with white crew socks but if I could wear them everywhere, I would!

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then I guess you need to shave then.....you look like ZZ Top with Horns! :laugh:

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So to clarify, when you said in the OP that the pastor seemed taken aback when you showed up wearing t-shirt and sweat pants, that was not for church, correct?

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct, you got a point?

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

And you look like...

KOJAK!

("Who loves ya, baby?"):laugh:

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Don't get me wrong, we all need to look presentable when we go to church, but the use of a suit and tie in 100 degree temps, is a bit much. I am not condemning anyone who does this, but man, you must suffer on those hot days.

Now, when the bible was written, didn't they all wear robes, even to church. I do not think that pants or trousers were available back then, yet alone, a tie.

The main thing is that we are dressed up in the "heart", the "inner man" so to speak. I am dressed up wherever I go. I have a long white robe on, have new shoes on my feet. I am dressed and ready to go when He calls my name. Of course, the dress code for our heavenly address is mandatory.

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Now, where's that sucker??????

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea....very liberating & the women love it! ;)

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have. You dress to reflect the position you are applying for. Was there a point?