1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who were the Primative Baptists- and what did they really believe?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Heavy Metal Calvinist, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

I live in my last post should read I like.

I am a Virginian, and have lived in the Old Dominion for a good long while. Also lived in North Carolina, California, Missouri and Indiana for seasons of time, but I plan on staying in Virginia till the end.

2. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Again, I ask, excluding the controversy over the Philippine work, do any of my fellow Primitive Baptists have any examples they can provide of mission work they feel is being properly handled and which they fully support?

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None here, dragoon68.

4. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

That's what troubles me about us Primitive Baptists as a whole. On the one hand we say we're not against mission work but on the other there are few examples of our participation. Are not our works evidence of our faith? Those that are extant are confined to a few churches that involve a few ministers who tend to support all such activities in both Asia and Africa. Why is this? Do we believe what the Bible recorded on this subject and our ancestors affirmed even in their 1832 split from other Baptists or do we say one thing and do another? Have we let our concerns - the alleged errors of some of our brothers - cause us to stand against them all and take no part much less advocate the work of missions?

5. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I hope you will soon be able to follow through with your plans of doing the work of the Lord in your homeland.

I've heard it only takes two or three gathered together in His name to have a church!

6. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

In foreign lands, no, not because we don't want to, but because we just don't have the funds to do such.

Of course, many men who would like to go, I think, are afraid of being lumped together with the other group by people who will jump to conclusions.

We do, and have for many years, supported a Primitive Baptist founded singing school in north Texas.

We helped support the Baptist Bible Hour for probably 25 years, until a few years ago when "the trouble" first caught wind down here.

We travel to different states when the chance arises, to preach the gospel and be with God's people...just got back from Arkansas a few weeks ago. Beautiful place up there.

As far as anything else, I just don't see how we would be able to support anyone going abroad, considering how much our expenses are for such a small congregation. Houston ain't cheap, but of course, you know that already.

7. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Those are good points Bro. James Reed!

I suspect that's the case for a lot of the smaller congregations around the country. They can't financially support mission work - especially in a foreign lands - because they just don't have the money to do so.

That leads to another question. Given the limitation of finances what about support through prayer for those who can afford to contribute financially? Our Lord would surely hear and grant prayers of support from His churches in this land even without a penny changing hands.

I can also understand the concern about being lumped together with others whom some feel are in error. On the other hand, if we're convicted of what we believe then wouldn't it be better to seek a way that makes more certain our brothers and sisters in need of the word of God are receiving it in truth?

I know there are opportunities to travel and preach in several countries other than the Philippines and other than as part of that effort. I'll bet any Primitive Baptist minister that felt the call and wanted to take part would be welcomed by other good brothers. I'll also bet the Lord would provide the funds through the brothers and sisters of His churches.

The Baptist Bible Hour is a solid ministry for our Lord that reaches a lot of areas where there aren't enough Primitive Baptists to congregate. Those brothers and sisters get to hear good preaching that just isn't otherwise available to them. I regularly read the Baptist Witness published by them and find it very good.

8. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Those are good points Bro. James Reed!

I suspect that's the case for a lot of the smaller congregations around the country. They can't financially support mission work - especially in a foreign lands - because they just don't have the money to do so.

That leads to another question. Given the limitation of finances what about support through prayer for those who can afford to contribute financially? Our Lord would surely hear and grant prayers of support from His churches in this land even without a penny changing hands.

I can also understand the concern about being lumped together with others whom some feel are in error. On the other hand, if we're convicted of what we believe then wouldn't it be better to seek a way that makes more certain our brothers and sisters in need of the word of God are receiving it in truth?

I know there are opportunities to travel and preach in several countries other than the Philippines and other than as part of that effort. I'll bet any Primitive Baptist minister that felt the call and wanted to take part would be welcomed by other good brothers. I'll also bet the Lord would provide the funds through the brothers and sisters of His churches.

The Baptist Bible Hour is a solid ministry for our Lord that reaches a lot of areas where there aren't enough Primitive Baptists to congregate. Those brothers and sisters get to hear good preaching that just isn't otherwise available to them. I regularly read the Baptist Witness published by them and find it very good.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Hence the reason I agree with Bro. Jeff Weaver that mistakes have been made on both sides of the debate.

At the present, it feels as though many folks have to walk on egg shells when talking about going to preach to folks. In fact, when an elder that you and I know from Louisiana, he's older and used to preach for us, moved to Arkansas, he didn't accept a pastorate anywhere, but rather, and kind of jokingly, referred to hilself as an evangelist. He caught a few second glances by using this term, though I can not see a real reason why.

People are so stigmatized (sp?) by the controversy over the Philippines that even calling ones self an evangelist (travelling preacher) can be misconstrued as being in line with those order of folks. I don't agree with it, but many have fallen into the other side of the ditch in trying to avoid any resemblance to the "those other" preachers. It really is a shame.

I am hopeful that these fears will subside some day, but I think it will take time.

Until then, I just pray that we can be good stewards with what God has given us and continue to minister to His children closer to home.