1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who were the Spirits in Prison to whom Christ Preached?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 4His_glory, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Oh, I believe this is the first time I heard this belief. You already agree (I think) that He did preach through the Prophets of old, by His Spirit, of which I believe, Also, if there was any proclaiming or announcing done during His time in the tomb, it would of been His Spirit, so I don't disagree with you, I just don't know. I do know scripture teaches many of the bodies of the saints arose after His resurrection and went into that Holy City, maybe He made them ready during this time, I do not know.

BBob,

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Well, the Spirit of Christ was in the prophets of old (1:10ff). But I believe this is different than what we read in 3:19.

Christ himself went and announced to these spirits in prison who, btw, were disobedient in contrast to the obedience of Noah.

So I don't believe they are OT saints.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

This is something I have discussed for many years and as long as someone don't say that He went "back", I have no problem, but I think the scripture plainly tells us that he "used" the same Spirit that quickened Him, to go and preach to them in prison. I can't seem to believe that He, Himself went and preached.

BBob,

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Here are three translations of v.19:

"in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison" (ESV).

"through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison" (NIV).

"By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison" (KJV).

2. Here's the issue: Did he go in the Spirit, or did he go in a spiritual state?

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Let's say it is the Holy Spirit:

Well, I believe that fact that Jesus went in spirit-form to announce to the spirits in the prison remains the same.

In 1:10 the Spirit of Christ was in the prophets, but that's not the same as what we read here.

What we read here is Christ going and announcing to the spirits in prison in the power of the Spirit.

Remember, it was the Spirit who took Jesus into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.

6. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

SFIC has it about right. According to John 14:6, Jesus is the exclusive pathway to Heaven. Therefore, even the O.T. saints were prisoners in Sheol. For this reason, the crucified Christ entered the domain of the dead to rescue the just and lead them into Heaven.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I find it interesting that those of us who claim to adhere to the Scriptures continue to ignore what Scripture says.

Peter identifies those spirits in prison as those who were disobedient in Noah's day in contrast to the 8 souls who were saved (v. 20).

This is what Scripture says.

Therefore the spirits in prison are not OT saints.

8. standingfirminChrist

Isaiah records why Christ would go to prison...
    to release those who were captive.

Surely you are not saying the wicked dead who would not heed God's Word were saved when Christ went to that prison?

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Isaiah prophecy was fulfilled at the beginning of the ministry of Jesus (Luke 4:21).

Peter is speaking here of what happend after the death of Jesus while in a spirit-state.

Besides, Peter identifies the spirits in prison, and they were not OT saints. They were disobedient people (v.20).

If you think Isaiah and Peter are addressing the same thing, then so be it. But that is not my view.

10. standingfirminChrist

I believe the many that were dead that were seen in the city at the time of Christ's death were the prisoner's released prophesied of by Isaiah.

And we know the wicked dead will not rise until 1,000 years after the resurrection of the saints.

Jesus did indeed say, 'This day is the Scripture fulfilled in your ears...', but was it in it's entirety fulfilled? Remember Peter telling the people in Acts 2 that Joel's prophecy had been fulfilled? It was not in it's entirety.

#30 standingfirminChrist, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

And I agree, but that's different than what we read in 1 Peter 3:19.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

But you keep identifying the spirits in prison as OT saints, but Peters says that they were those who were disobedient in the days of Noah.

They are not OT saints.

13. standingfirminChrist

The fact remains, there were some liberated from the chains of death at the time of His death. Prisoners.

Now, were these prisoners wicked dead? or righteous dead?

And did He not preach to them?

I like to think He preached to both saint and sinner in that prison. One on one side of the gulf, one on the other. The ones on the side of light were resurrected, freed from their prison.

Is it possible that the same message preached to the wicked dead proclaiming liberty to the righteous dead was heard by both groups at the same time?

#33 standingfirminChrist, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I do not see Luke 4 as a quotation of Isa 62 to be the same as 1 Peter 3.

I believe they are separate.

These spirits in prison are identified as those who were disobedient in the time of Noah. I consider them wicked dead.

He proclaimed to them but not the gospel.

But Peter is speaking of those who were disobedient in the time of Noah.

That's a possibility, but here Peter says that the spirits were those who disobedient in the time of Noah.

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

16. standingfirminChrist

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Well, now that the coffee I had earlier is wearing off, I'm off to bed. Have a good morning, my brother. :sleeping_2:

19. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

The spirits in prison can not be all OT saints or the Bible would have said that. I do not believe they ever were "saints" because the only saints in the time of Noah were Noah and his family. The rest were children of disobedience. That is why Peter says that they were in another time disobedient- he is speaking of the past.

Also I do not see anywhere in this text where it says Christ did this proclaiming or preaching ( I personally think they are the same) between the time of His death and resurrection. In fact it really is not clear when he preached to them. That is why I think it was the Spirit of Christ preaching through Noah just as he did through the OT prophets. To me this makes the most sense- but again I certainly have my doubts because this is just one of those hard to understand passages. It makes for good discussion though!

20. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't verse 21 make the subject of the passage clear. Isn't this about baptism?