1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who Will Be IU's Next Coach?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Mar 24, 2008.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Well the internet reports are starting to fly.

Andy Katz is reporting that IU will name its coach by Thursday with Tony Bennett at the top of their list, and another report had them already offering the job to Bennett. Katz is also reporting that a buy out of Sean Millers contract would be too expensive so they will not go that route.

A new name that seems to be in the mix is the former Stanford coach Mike Montgomery.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I mentioned Montgomery first time we had a thread about IU's new coach. How he's not been in the mix for open jobs is beyond me. He did an excellent job at Stanford, and his job at Golden St just proved that the NBA is a different game and that he is a college coach through and through. Good basketball mind.

The fact that IU would consider Miller's buyout too much either says that IU doesn't esteem Miller high enough, or that IU just doesn't have the "oomph" it once had. Like what you pointed out, the fact that there were several names on the list and Sampson came from mid-pack to get the job says that maybe IU couldn't get the guys they wanted. I think that's a shame if true. IU is a great school in a nice college town, and Indiana basketball is a basketball all its own.

#22 TomVols, Mar 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2008
  3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Regarding Pearl's extension: he's already locked up (I believe) through 2012. I'd make it an ETERNAL contract :smilewinkgrin:

4. PastorSBC1303

Well the internet rumors continue to fly and of course everyone has a "reliable source."

The latest rumors have a plane leaving Saturday night from Bloomington bound for Albuquerque current home of Steve Alford.

. . . . this just in a reliable source has just informed me that it is Sunday.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Andy Katz is reporting that Tony Bennett has turned down the opportunity to take the IU job and has told IU's AD as much. ESPN sources say Mike Montgomery is next on the list. There are conflicting reports as to whether or not an offer was extended. Some say IU did offer Bennett, some say they did not.

Lon Kruger has been mentioned as an outside candidate.

BTW, Bruce Pearl's buyout - today - is one million. I may have misquoted that earlier. I'd expect that to be higher when his new contract comes out (how do you know it's springtime in Knoxville? The Dogwoods bloom and Bruce Pearl gets a new contract!)

#25 TomVols, Mar 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2008
  6. PastorSBC1303

Yeah it seems like have had their top guy marked off the list.

7. PastorSBC1303

Well things seem to be going from bad to worse at IU now. Interim Coach Dakich kicked 2 of the starters off the team yesterday. Supposedly they both missed a mandatory team meeting so Dakich told them to come to the gym the next day at 6am to run sprints as punishment and if they didn't show up to go ahead and clean out their lockers, and they didn't show up.

Reaction seems to be mixed, some say he was right for standing up to these guys about following the rules. Others think he stepped over the line as the "interim" coach.

So basically this means, if Gordon goes to the NBA as most expect, IU will lose 4 of their 5 starters with the graduation of DJ White.

Things could get really bad in Bloomington if they do not hire a top-notch coach.

8. PastorSBC1303

ESPN is reporting that Tom Crean will be named the new coach tomorrow.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Crean is a ggod coach. I believe this was his last shot at a big time job. He wasn't able to parlay the Dwayne Wade-led run into a top tier job. I do not know how he'll do. Too much dust needs to settle. He'll definitely cash some good checks for a while if nothing else.

Sean Sutton stepped down at Okla St today. A storied program in a power conference is open. They could probably get folks that IU couldn't - maybe

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Okla St has Bill Self and Gillespie (who has yet to sign a contract at Kentucky) answering questions about the opening there.

Incidentally, Pearl released a statement today http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3324626 saying he has no interest in any other job other than Tennessee. Word is he didn't want a statement out until Scotty Hopson finished with his visit and official committment, a huge one for the Vols as they beat UK, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Memphis. He is a McDonald's All American and broke records set by a fellow Mr. Kentucky basketball named Chris Lofton.

11. PastorSBC1303

I can't see Self leaving Kansas for Okla State. But the Gillespie thing is intriguing. Why would you not have signed a contract at this point? But why would you leave Kentucky after one season for Okla State?

With the way things are going right now at IU, I think they are very lucky to get Crean.

12. PastorSBC1303

IMO Crean had a very good press conference today.

For the first time in a long time it seems that 99% of "IU Nation" is very happy wit the hire. They like that he is a midwest guy with ties to the Big 10. They like that he has had a great deal of success in recruiting the state of Indiana. And they love that he has a clean record with the NCAA as well as a high graduation rate for his players.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the 2 starters that were kicked off the team by Dakich. When asked about it today he was noncommital on what would happen.

Should be interesting, but it seems for now IU has hit a homerun with this hire.

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I dunno'.

But I do recall a couple of fellows who never signed a contract, namly Adolph Rupp, and 'Red' Auerbach. And the best that I can recall, neither of them left their organizations until Auerbach retired as coach, but stayed on as team president and GM, for many years after that, and 'Uncle Adolph' was forced out after 42 years 'on the pine', by UK's (then, since rescinded) mandatory retirement age of 70.

:tear: As a sad note, "Mr. Wildcat", Bill Keitley, the Equiptment Manager for UK basketball for 48 years died Monday evening from a previously undiagnosed malignant tumor on the spine, which apparently ruptured after a fall, getting off the bus for the REDS opening game, and which caused internal bleeding that could not be stopped. (He actually thought he was uninjured, and did not even want to go to the hospital, but was persuaded to go, just to be checked out.) He had been on the bench for 57% the games UK had played, in its entire history, and witnessed over 1100 wins. His was the first face UK players saw when they arrived at the gym, and was always the last one to leave, through six coaches, starting with Adolph Rupp. He was a great father figure to the players, as was Asst. Coach Harry Lancaster, for many years, before Lancaster was promoted to AD. He actually started the year before I started listening to UK basketball, so he had been there for every game I ever heard or saw, plus the many I did not attend, see or hear. That space on the bench, and his shoes will never be filled. The next one in that position, no matter how qualified and able, will merely be 'the person who got Mr. Keitley's job after he was gone'.

"Mr. Wildcat", William J. (Bill) Keitley was 81.

Ed

#33 EdSutton, Apr 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2008
  14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Keitley was a fixture in Lexington and will be missed. The Big Orange Nation sends its condolences.

As for the contracts, Rupp and Red were in different eras. Billy G didn't sign a contract at A&M. Days later, he bolted. I wonder if he has his eyes on somewhere else.

It's going to be interesting to see who Marquette lands. Tony Bennett is rumored to be on the list, as is Sean Miller, Kevin Stallings, Lon Kruger, Rick Majerus (unlikely) and Bruce Weber from Illinois. Why interesting? What if Marquette lands someone that IU could not?