1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Who won the debate?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by evangelist6589, Oct 20, 2016.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like Sinatra, you heard it youuuurrrr waaaaay.....:Laugh:Roflmao:Roflmao

The problem is not that what Trump said was taken out of context. The problem is that you (and the media) took what he said and applied your own context to his statement. Trump kinda left it open. And judging from Trump's demeanor (and the audience's reaction), I think it fair to say the "only if I win" statement was not a serious statement of rebellion against the "American way".

I know that you are anti-Clinton and anti-Trump. But if you act the same way, are you really any better?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    By what I gather to be your criteria, that means I should only vote for myself. As I am, the only one I can trust. (which is a form of reducto absurdum) Unless you are suggesting I leave the presidential space blank on my ballot.
    I said you haven't given us any alternatives viable or not. The key being the "not". Surely you can come up with a third party candidate from a presidential election in the last 120 years.

3. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ratings are in, third most watched presidential debate ever:
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-10-20-18-01-55

So how can you make any sense of any polling this century? Exit polls, internal polls and all the others have been way off, and need to be modified - some of the alphabet network's polls nailed 2012 but most of them missed the MoE.

McGovern, eight grade, must have been born in the late fifties or so. I thought you seemed to know a lot about politics, ever worked in a campaign? I have and won, but that was for a GOP moderate for the House in a swing area, and at even lower state levels, nasty business with Rossi and Gregoire. Protesting abortion clinics and canvassing is a little too "grassroots" for my tastes, not involved at all with Hillary or Trump.

Not wanting either to win is okay as long you can reconcile the fact that you've already lost no matter. BTW, I think the DLC is redundant by now.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

You obviously didn't gather my criteria if you deduced it to mean you could only vote for yourself.

And I don't have to give you a viable candidate. What is this grade school? I said who Christians should not be supporting. If you need a viable alternative then do your homework and find one you like.
    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

5. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I've seen nobody on the California ballot (Rep/American Independent, Dem, Peace and Freedom, Green, and Libertarian) is one I like. And I didn't ask just for a viable alternative. I also asked for a non-viable alternative to include any of the third party candidates. You seemed to have skipped over the latter. And I did not restrict my question to the 2016 election.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

So all these non viable candidates and evangelicals continue to support them.

If they're all non-viable I'm sure you personally know someone whose name you can write in who honors Christ.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't. I go with the simplicity of the RealClearPolitics polling average for starters. Then examine individual polls not included in the average, looking at the methodology. If the methodology is credible I mentally add it to the RCP average and come up with a number in my head. Sounds like you do roughly the same thing.

The sometimes significant differences between polls has got to be related to the proprietary weighting factors that each polling company uses.

Yep, I was born in 1958. My parents were very conservative.

I have not worked on a campaign. I do know a bunch of people that have and I get feedback from them. I have a friend that is a GOP state delegate here in Minnesota. Another friend I've known since childhood is an oppo researcher for GOP campaigns in southern California. A lawyer friend of mine is a GOP city councilman in suburban San Diego and is also a GOP national delegate. So I get a lot of input.

Good for you on the campaign involvement. I do enjoy reading your posts. Gotta ask though--is there any pollsters that you like? It seems that you believe all of them are flawed.

Yes, I'm resigned to the fact that the country is in deep trouble no matter who wins. I disagree that this is the end of the United States as we know it, something I get from a couple friends of mine that are so virulently anti-Hillary that they make some Hillary bashers on BB look like sympathizers. Ha!

Democratic Leadership Council? If so, I would say they are obsolete. The Dems are going further and further left every election.

#47 InTheLight, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  8. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of those I listed, only the Rep\AIP (it's a fusion ticket this election) and the Dems are near to be being viable.
    And I didn't say none were viable I said
    IOW, I didn't like any of them.
    California only accepts write ins which are registered with the state. So, writing in a name is like leaving the space blank. Is that what you are suggesting an abstention from the Presidential race. I know I'll abstain from the US Senate race as the candidates are both liberal Dems, one for NorCal the other from SoCal.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I'm suggesting that Christians start voting like Christ is Lord.

10. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it worked fine for 2008 and 2012, the final RCP average that Obama won by was within the MoE but more on that later.

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    President: I had Bush Sr. in 1992. Wrong. Otherwise I've gotten them all correct 1996-2012.

House and Senate: I get most of the Minnesota races correct, but I was wrong on Franken/Coleman. I was wrong on MN 8th district in 2012, I had Stewart Mills over Nolan. In the rematch I'm taking Mills again. This is an intriguing race as the district is made up of blue collar, pro-life union members. Kind of a weird dynamic and makes for a lot of vote splitting.

As to other US House and US Senate, I really can't remember individual races. I do like to predict who will have the majority of seats. This will be especially tough this year.

Yes, which I contend makes a third party more and more viable. It will be interesting to see what remains of the GOP when this is over.