1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who would you vote for?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Feb 4, 2008.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Huckabee stood up as one of only 3 who would admit to disbelieving atheist darwinism and choosing instead to believe the Word of God. The media pressed all Republican candidates to answer that question "as if" there is a "religious test" for being president!

Huckabee also has rock solid positions on abortion and gay rights.

In my book you have to rise to Huckabee's level "just to play" -- to get my vote. Beyond that I don't like some of his other positions - and wouldn't mind having another Huckabee-like candidate with strong positions on the above - but with a better imigration and foreign policy stance.

My problem is that I would not dare vote someone in who advocates for immoral actions regarding the sanctity of marriage or the right to life. The fact that Huckabee is willing to go even beyond that and stand up for the Word of God -- raises the bar pretty high.

So for now - that leaves only one candidate.

in Christ,

Bob

#21 BobRyan, Feb 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2008
  2. grace56

grace56 New Member

I vote on the life issues first and formost.

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not sure if this part of the Bible is allowed on this section of the board -- but here goes --

Lev 18

This is significant because God says that these are sins for which - non-bible reading nations are condemned "in this life" and cast out "in this life".

In other words - Americans can not vote in favor of some of these sins and expect America to prosper under such a path.

in Christ,

Bob

#23 BobRyan, Feb 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then the Republicans are just as bad. Legalizing gay marriage does not increase homosexuality at all. I've not seen any Republicans calling for a constitutional amendment banning homosexuality (that's what it would require). I also don't see any calling for an amendment banning fornication either. I also don't see them calling for an end to no-fault divorce either.

We are not voting for a theocracy. If King Jesus were ruling America, I'd be in favor of a theocratic government. If it's President Somebody, I wouldn't be.

Both parties have major flaws. If you require a candidate to be 100% right on all the major issues, no candidate is acceptable in EITHER party.

IMO, the GOP has major issues on poverty, war, and abortion (they've not done anything substantive to justify their continual pro-life flag waving).

The Democratic party has major issues on abortion (more than the GOP) and some would say gay rights. I'm not as opposed to legal gay rights as some here would be. I think that gay marriage is sinful, but I think that a large percentage of straight marriages are sinful as well.

If one requires a perfect party, the solution is either to find an acceptable 3rd party or not to vote. I'm not in favor of the pro-choice agenda, but I find it ethically and intellectual unacceptable to pretend that the GOP is the party of God or at least close to it.

As a side note, you can tell who is firmer in their stance...

The Democrats enforce their pro-choice orthodoxy. To be sure, you will occasionally find an elected pro-life Democrat, but they will be denied the major mouthpieces of the party. They certainly won't be on the judiciary committee.

The GOP though? They welcome pro-choice Republicans with open arms because they know they won't be able to win elections in some states without running a pro-choice candidate (e.g. Mitt Romney, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rudy Giuliani, etc.). Arlen Specter is on the Senate Judiciary committee. That doesn't sound like a smart move for a party that supposedly wants to overturn Roe v. Wade. That shows me one thing--the GOP establishment cares about power, not abortion.

#24 StefanM, Feb 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  5. Danny Hurley

Danny Hurley New Member

If Huckabee was a democrat with the the same views as Obama and Hillory, I would not vote for him, if Obama was a republican with the same views as Huckabee I would vote for him, ones color has nothing to do with anything. IMO If hillory wins she may paint the white house pink.

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :rolleyes:

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

Does anyone besides me see a conflict in the two statements above? One decries racism...then the other elavates someone based on race.

Hmmm......

8. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Yup.:thumbs:

9. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Perhaps it is because there is so much of this in baptist and other churches.

Short people always like to find shorter people to stand next to.

Perhaps the "christian right" is like the Jews who wanted a king.

Ouch. The truth hurts.
    Now before you go off the handle, notice he said "the GOP establishment".

With that said, I will once again vote for the lesser of 2 evils. Been doing it since 1980.

Ever heard of the book Blinded by Might by Cal Thomas and Ed Dobson? you might find it interesting. Here are links to a couple of previews:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1058/is_16_116/ai_54898666

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/102/story_10216_1.html

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Pretty funny actually --

It is like saying "the nation would be just fine if we could just get one more white man in the office of president".

What kind of thinking is that???

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Danny Hurley for king!

Well said Danny -

12. targus

targus New Member

I see by your profile that you are SDA.

I am wondering what then is your justification for belonging to a denomination that allows for abortion under selected circumstances?

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Abortion in the case of life risk to the mother? If you have to choose between two lives - it is the life of the mother that is selected.

While this is not a "doctrine" in the Adventist church - we do teach that murder is wrong.

The following "guideline" is published by some leaders in the church -

Having said that - I do not believe the church takes a strong enough stand against it.

However this is not a "doctrinal position" but rather an organizational administrative issue within the church. Doctrinally the stand is that murder is wrong.

in Christ,

Bob

#33 BobRyan, Feb 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2008
  14. targus

targus New Member

So the doctrine is that murder, in this case abortion, is wrong...

But the "guidance" provided by your church is that sometimes it's o.k. anyway?

15. targus

targus New Member

Another question...

Why is the life of the mother selected?

What scriptural support do you have for this?

16. targus

targus New Member

Bumped for BobRyan's response.

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "If you can save a life do it" --