Who's next?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Jailminister, May 21, 2004.

1. Jailminister

Jailminister
    Expand Collapse

2. Johnv

Johnv
    Expand Collapse

When I was working at local government, I often wore a "Jesus First" pin. Several Christians and Jews had jewelry such as stars of David, crosses and crucifixes, and, yes, small 10c tablets, on chains and bracelets. In fact, last week I was at the county hospital, and two of the nurses had lanyards that said WWJD.

The issue with the incident in the first post is that of the 10C's and the correlation to former judge Moore. While I think it's a bit shakey to suggest that the wearing of such would imply support for Moore, I also think that, given the circumstances in Alabama, that having the employee remove it was justified. He was not being asked to remove it on religious grounds, he was being asked to remove it on political endorsement grounds. Had he worn a cross or something similar, it doesn't appear that this would have been an issue. However, this is a real fine line, and I'm willing to bet that, if he fights it legally, he'd likely win his job back. It may have appeared that he was making a political statement (forbidden by rules of his employment), but it doesn't appear that making a political statement was his goal (you'd think that someone would haev flat out asked him if it ws intended to be a political statement or not).

Of course, just like the ACLU tends to read into things their own agenda, religious agendists are going to read into this their own agenda.

3. Jailminister

Jailminister
    Expand Collapse

JohnV if he is just wearing the pin. I see no problem with it. If he is spending time on the job doing other things like political advocacy, then that is something else. In the Chamber business I know personally that there are times when people know who you are(in this case Moore's pastor son) so they may start the conversation and you just talk with them. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

4. Johnv

Johnv
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you.