1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Who's your favorite person in the Bible and why ?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by west, Apr 6, 2005.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll say Paul. First, he was the 2nd-wisest man who ever lived. The only reason I don't call him #1 is that Scripture awards that title to Solomon.(But Solomon lost his faith while Paul's increased!)

Second, he'd received the best-possible education for that time and place, being taught the accumulated wisdom of the Jews as well as the Scriptures, plus, quite a bit of Roman knowledge. He was multilingual, using Greek, Hebrew, and Latin for certain, and most likely he used Aramaic, the international trade language, and also several North African dialects as well.

Third, he had tremendous insight, both to the OT Scriptures, as well to the new ones Jesus gave him over time.

Fourth, he depended upon the HOLY SPIRIT to give him the words to speak in his own defense, so that he impressed Festus, Felix, and Herod Agrippa II, out-talking the lawyer Tertullus the Jewish religious leaders had sent to prosecute him.

Fifth, Paul had the potential to become a really powerful man in the Jewish heirarchy, especially since he was as much at home among the Romans as he was among his own people. But he discarded it all to PREACH THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST.

2. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As for Rahab...She JOINED ISRAEL after Jericho fell. There's no reason to believe she ever left living among the Israelis the rest of her life.

The word "rahab" has been used in Hebrew to mean broad, large, dragon, or proud. However, the woman's name coulda come from another language.

It's said of Rahab(in old Jewish literature) that she was the consort of just about every big shot in the area, & from them she learned a great deal about Israel and God. I tend to believe that, despite her early life of sin, she had been "pre-selected" by God for special service, and, when His call came, she answered.(Before you say, "God woulda NEVER pre-chosen a woman & let her become a WHORE!", remember all the sins of Paul before Jesus appeared to him!)

Nahshon was the leader of Judah in the last days of Moses, and during at least the first part of Joshua's judgeship. Rahab coulda possibly become his wife if not that of Salmon, Nahshon's son.

At any rate, God, who knows all hearts, knew something about Rahab that we don't know, for which He greatly blessed her.

3. Ishouldbhappy

Ishouldbhappy New Member

I have two, I love Paul because he told it like it was and did not care. He was doing what God called him to do and he would not let life bring him down no matter what. I also like Mary who washed Jesus’ feet with her hair. She had such a great faith and she also did not care how others saw her, she loved the Lord and that was all that mattered to her.
    Kristen

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

In the Old Testament I love Jonathan. Loyal to his family and his friends, never questioning God's decision to give his kingdom to David, courageous in combat against the Philistines. Helped David escape from Saul but still died beside his father in battle.

In the New Testament in Love Andrew and Philip, always bringing people to Jesus; brothers, friends, the boy with the lunch, and then Gentiles.

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Heb 11:31
    By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace.

You can believe what you want to I suppose. Rahab was contemporary with the spies. Yes? The spies were of the generation who fought with Joshua. Yes?

You are going to have to show that Joshua was contemporary with Boaz's parents. And that only three generations are between Joshua and David. Which would mean that Salmon was contemporary with Joshua. That information is not available that I have found.

We also know that the period of the Judges covers about 400 years before they got King Saul. The period of the Judges begins with the death of Joshua. Therefore, what you get is three generations covering the entire period of the Judges. That would make Salmon, Boaz and Obed each about 100 years old at the birth of each successive son mentioned.Or if you include Jesse in the time of the judges you would get him being approx. 100 years old at David's birth.
    The numbers just don't work out. In the Matthew list you have 7 generations during the captivity. But if true that Rahab was David's GG grandmother then you only have 4-5 generations spanning relatively the same amount of time. 400 and 400.

It doesn't work. I would like to see the gymnastics that makes it work. Honestly I would.

In HIS service;
    Jim

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My favorite: ELIJAH, what a man of God!

Trustworthy,
    Willing to risk it all for the Lord,
    A man of prayer,
    Decisive,
    A man of action,
    A man who knew despair,
    Comfortable in groups and alone.
    Teachable,
    And a teacher or mentor to others.

Rob

7. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In all respect, Jim...

Nahshon was leader of Judah during at least part of the conquest. We have no idea how long he lived, but I'd guestimate around 110 120 years, as did the other righteous men of that generation whose ages are given in Scripture. He COULD have fathered Salmon late in life, as did several other 'patriarchs' who fathered children in their old age.

Besides that, Matthew 1:5 names Rahab and Ruth both, apparently because they weren't Jewish as were the wives of the other men in the genealogy. And while EGYPT is called rahab,(which means several things in Hebrew) there's no other PERSON by that name mentioned in Scripture.

In all fairness to your premise, I'll TRY to find if there's another person named Rahab who coulda been Boaz' mother. I'll phone the local rabbi.

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Thanks Cranston.

I appreciate your efforts. Up here in no-man's-land there are no Rabbi's around. I searched the web for ANYTHING and found only speculation.

It seems improbable to me without definitive proof. Guestimates don't cut it with me when we are speaking of the lineage of Christ. Maybe for some it is ok. Anyhow, it isn't a test of fellowship!

:D

In HIS service;
    Jim

9. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

Moses...MOSES! Oh Heston... (among top favorites) :D