1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Whose Job .....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Mar 15, 2014.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

..... Is It?

(Has the following ever happened at your church?? :smilewinkgrin:)

Whose Job Is It?

This is a story about four people: (1) Everybody, (2) Somebody, (3) Anybody, and (4) Nobody.

There was an important job to be done, and Everybody was asked to do it.

Everybody was sure Somebody would do it! Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it!

Somebody got angry about it because it was Everybody's job!

Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it!

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done it!

2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like that.

I tend prefer what I'm good at: I'm an electrician and remodeling craftsman with a very broad range of skills. So when it comes to repairs or upgrades, I'll do it.

I like working with my hands - change a heating element in an electric water heater, tear down and rebuild the sound booth, install new flooring in the youth center, remodel a Sunday School classroom, re-roof the educational center (actually only helped others on that), change light bulbs or replace fluorescent lighting ballasts, drywall repairs, paint the exterior of the building, add phone and data lines, emergency electrical or plumbing issues, etc.

Here's my philosophy: I don't care who else is or isn't doing what I'm able to do. I have time and know-how, so it's my job. If it happens to be someone else's job too, and they have the know-how, great. If not, no big deal. It's still my job.

But on those "special" work and cleanup days, you're not going to find me there unless I'm just there to chit-chat. I'll leave that stuff to those who show up once a year to "put in their time"

As for the other stuff not related to construction and repairs, I just hate to see the same people always doing everything. I like to see people who don't typically feel like making the time.

I'm happy to do stuff like - take out trash, clean the restrooms, help with Vacation Bible School, sing with the worship group, participate in music/drama specials, substitute teach a Sunday School class, lead a bible study, prayer drive assistant, committee member, and other stuff.

I don't usually see any of it as an inconvenience, nor am I looking for any recognition. I just do what I do, and others do what they do.

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    worked at a school once - one of the old teachers had the philosophy that if you saw something that needed done it was your job. He practiced it but few others bothered.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Fortunately at church, we usually have people assigned to most anything.

But at home, Mr. Nobody rears his ugly head periodically.